5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable sports headphones
Published on 2 Dec. 2012 by Jason Gaston

1.0 out of 5 stars they dont stay in ears
Not cheap, yet still rubbish. I just want ear phones I can run in which wont fall out. These are not the ones. The fins only stabilise the buds if they fit well in your ears already.

Published 5 months ago by meursault2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable sports headphones, 2 Dec. 2012
Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sennheiser CX 685 Sports In-Ear canal Headphones (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a fan of the brand I was already excited to receive these headphones and this would make up my 3rd pair in the past year or so as I do a lot of running. My first reaction was the practically of them, the little fin that keeps the bud in you ear is very effective indeed for maintaining a nice snug fit and the lack of head or neck band on these ones makes them ideal for other sports or gym activities and not just running as the neck band becomes obtrusive when using gym equipement.
In the pack you get the headphones, adjustable fins, replaceable buds and (BEWARE) you get replacements for the inside of the earphones too which are miniscule in size and could easily be discarded so be warned they are in a small clear poly bag and look like to small rolls of cotton or something but they are about 2milimeteres in size. The overall sound for these headphones was quite impressive considereing sports headphones usually fall a little flat in this department, the bass was full (helped by the snug fit) and the top ends where crisp and punchy.
You also get a cable clip as with most in the brand so if you use an armband you can clip the exess cable to this to prevent it swooshing about in front of your face, this is especially helpful when it comes to running or jogging.
My only critsism with these is this, as they are such a snug fit in the ear when running the cable kinda bobs up and down and causes a slight tugging motion of momentum on the buds, this is nowhere near enough to displace the buds but does create a kind of dull thud which can be quite annoying when audiable such as gaps in music or quite parts of music.
That being said I am just being picky and otherwise cannot fault these headphones whatsoever they are ideal for any gym activities and especially for running as previous sports headphones where either uncomfortable or fell out, neither apply to these.
Happy Listening

Still going strong afer 18 months. Ran about 200 times with these and still as crisp, clear, loud and comfortable. Would buy another pair in a heartbeat if these got lost damaged or finally died. Cannot recommend these enough for running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Running Headphones, 18 Jun. 2013
I am not a Olympic athlete, but I am fit and I have trialled and broken sports headphones in just about every environment on the planet so when I give this product 5 stars its because I mean it.

The headphones are well built, they are as rugged as can be expected for the size. They hold the ear extremely well (I have no idea how they thought up the in ear mechanism or how it works so well, but bravo). Whilst talking about build, the inside ear component is made of rubber which effectively adds a sweat shield from the speaker part itself from your horrible sweaty head as you pound the asphalt, the downfall of many of my old headphones. Big tick VG for the sweatproof system. There are two different sizes of rubber ear pieces so if you have ears like Hilary Swank then they should still be as good a fit as for people with more conventionally sized ears.

The sound quality is about as good as you can expect for the price, the bass is deep enough, treble is full and not tinny and the mids are balanced well, all in all quite capable of clearly belting Ministry of Sounds latest shameless rehash of classic house anthems.

If you have the ear fidelity of a vampire bat and want crystal clear sound while you are working out then you are probably better off with the over head things that people seem to use in gyms, probably not so good for running though (and those people look pretty humorous too) or get some space age tech from Bose if such things exist, and pay the premium that comes with it. Remember sound quality is pretty much a function of price and £40 or so will not give you the same quality of sound that £300 will, but who wants to spend that much money on a set of grubby headphones that are going to get covered in rain mud and sweat.

The only problem, and it is a double edged thing that comes with making such a good product, is that the headphones hold your ear so well and the rubber in ear piece is so effective that you are very isolated from outside noise which could be dangerous if you are running or cycling in town. I have not found this to be a problem running around parks and forests though.

If like me you have found wrap around back of head designs uncomfortable especially when doing sit ups, wrap around ear headphones rubbish in terms of strength and sound quality, think that over head headphones belong in the study with your hi-fi and the George Michael Careless Whisper LP that you guiltily treasure, and you simply want good robust headphones to use whilst working out then these fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review. Happy working out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Run to the beat, 28 April 2014
I had done a bit of research before splashing out on a pair of headphones. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted, but knew I wanted something in-ear and sound dampening. The reviews for these headphones were very high (with good reason) so I went ahead and bought them.

I was so pleasantly surprised! They are leaps and bounds ahead of any in-ear headphones I have every used. They don't completely kill outside noise, but do a pretty good job. Once my music is on I can't hear anything but that. I also don't get a thud every time my foot hits the treadmill. They sit very well in my ear, and only jiggle out if I haven't put them in properly.

The headphones come with 3 sizes of rubber ear insert (the blue bit) and the black hook is adjustable. I found that if I put on the biggest insert and the hook on the lowest setting they fit perfect. They don't irritate or push on my ear at all. Once they are in, I hardly notice them. You do need to make sure you use the clip to attach the cord to your shirt or the cord will bounce around a lot.

I also love that these are waterproof. I don't worry about damaging them with sweat, and can give them a rinse without worry. This is definitely a big plus.

I loved these so much I recommended them to my partner. He tried them for one session and we had to get him a pair asap!

Be aware, they are very noise cancelling, so if you do use them outside be careful! Probably best not to use them if you are running near major roads as you honestly don't hear anything. Okay for running on paths, but you won't hear bike bells or people calling to you. Sennheiser do make a similar model for outdoor running: Sennheiser MX 685 Sports In-Ear canal Headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best in this Class of Headphone, 31 Mar. 2013
I've tried many headphones for use in the gym and running. These are the best I've found by a mile. Sound quality is fantastic at this price, totally immersing great bass and mid range. The unique in ear fitting keeps them in your ears no matter what. I've tried neckband and hook over ear types before and always been somewhat disappointed either because of sound quality, fit (whether they stay in your ears on a long run etc) or build quality. The build quality seems fine, but only had them a month so can't comment on the longevity. Loving em right now though.

1.0 out of 5 stars they dont stay in ears, 10 Dec. 2014

Whether the buds fit well in your ears depends on the rubber covering that covers the buds. There are two sizes given, and the smaller size worked reasonably well for the first week until one of the rubber bands came out, I don't know when but it was when the bud fell out of my ear when running. As there are no replacements of the same size, I now do not have a covering that fits my ear.

Finally the sound is very poor quality for ear phones this expensive, less bass and at least as tinny as earphones you can get for less than 10 pounds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the Sennheiser/Adidas branding, they aren't that good, 21 Jan. 2015
As an ex-DJ/producer (many years ago) I used the Sennheiser brand regularly. The quality of their headphones were second to none and they were known throughout the international professional music world as one of the best quality DJ'ing headphones you could get. It was on this basis, and this Guardian blog ( link: goo.gl/xTEyBQ ) that I decided to buy these earphones.

However, from the moment I opened the packaging, I was somewhat disappointed. I'll mention some good points and bad points below.

Good points:

* Fit
They did fit me quite well and they didn't slip out of my ear once whilst in the gym (weights and punchbag). This is their best feature. Beware though, if you have small ears these will not be suitable for you. I tried to give them to my wife but they did not fit her properly, so now I'm stuck with them.

* Accessories
Comes with a nice storage pouch.

Bad points:

* Build Quality
The earphones felt flimsy and cheap, which is very surprising as both Sennheiser and Adidas are two brands known for high quality products. Low quality plastic, like they type you would expect from Poundstretcher earphones. The advertised photograph makes them look a lot better than they are in real life.

* Sound quality
Not very good, not overly bad either, but for £50 earphones (reduced to £35) I expected better. Sounds similar to the cheap £13 headphones you get for free with a new iPhone, except those come with a remote, these don't.

* Background noise blocking
This feature is practically non existent. I could hear the gym's annoying chart music pumping in the background all through my workout, even though it wasn't that loud.

Conclusion - If your main concern is having earphones that will stay put throughout your workout then these are excellent. However if you need good quality earphones that will block the annoying background noise of the gym and allow you to listen to your audio in peace, look elsewhere!

I will personally be looking to return these to Amazon ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones that stay put while running, 24 April 2013
Amazon Customer "Al" (Midlands (UK)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I did a hell of a lot of research before finally plumping for these headphones.
For me they are very comfortable, I found the mid sized buds that come fitted a little big for my liking so I downsized to the included smallest buds. I was a little concerned this could lead to the headphones coming loose while running but no such fears.

The headphones are fitted by sliding the ear in the curved inner part of your ear, pushing the ear bud into your ear canal and then sliding the curved prong up to make a snug secure fit.

Sennheiser state these are for indoor running but I've only used them on outdoor running and with the volume set at a comfortable level I can still hear vehicles coming so in my opinion they are good for both indoor and outdoor. But once you crank the volume up they do blot out all external noise so be careful.

So far I have been on runs ranging from fast 4 mile to half marathon distances and so far I've never had either falling out, even when I've accidentally caught the cable.

In the box comes a clip that slides onto the wire that can then be attached to your clothes to avoid the annoying jarring and thudding noises while running. There is also a small pouch with a velcro fastening perfect for storing the headphones in your bag for the gym.
Also is a little tool used for prising out the foam insert that protects the driver along with a spair set each of the small and large buds.

Changing of the buds is very easy, just prise off the old and press on the new, nothing to it.

The cable on the headphones is a good length, meaning no problems with the phones getting pulled out if you have your music player in a waist height pocket or carry pouch.
However there is quite a bit left dangling over if you have your player in an arm band. But I simply place the cable behind my neck where I clip it to my shirt and run the cable up behind my arm to my player, simple and causes no irritation or snagging so far.

Finally and most importantly is the music quality ... I have no complaints they are good solid quality with a good amount of base, the sound is crisp and tight. They're not anything amazing and I haven't picked up new details in favourite songs but it is a pleasing sound quality.

I love my Sennheiser CX 685 and can't imagine going out running without them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased with these, 29 Aug. 2014
Gerald Price "gdp67" (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought for gym use; I'm very pleased with these. They're very light and fit the ear so well, you absolutely can't feel that you're wearing them. Look and feel well made, too. The lead is *just* long enough to leave a bit of slack.

I chose the in-ear rather than flat faced version, but the noise cancelling still isn't great. With other in-ear Sennheisers, I've found that you'll struggle to hear what's going on around you without even turning the music on, but with these I can still occasionally hear the gym's own music when I've got mine on. It's no biggie though; I'm sure some people would like to retain some connection with their surroundings!

In terms of music quality, they offer a good, clear, general range. If you want some headphones for work in a sound studio, these aren't for you, but for general sports use I think they're great.

For me, lose one point on the weak noise cancellation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Right-angled jack issue, 5 April 2014
Great sound, as you'd expect from a brand like Sennheiser. Unfortunately, three months after purchasing the lead at the adaptor end has developed a fault which means the sound now breaks down in one ear. Probably due to the right angled nature of jack - if this was direct into your iPod/phone I'm sure that it would last longer. Disappointed, as everything else works great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very robust for Sennheiser quality I was expecting, 26 April 2014
I invested in this top shelf earphones so they can last longer than the cheaper ones. Since I am running 4 days a week I would have thought they would last at least a year. However they lasted 6 months, after that the inner wires have broken up and the sound just stopped coming through so I am now stuck with Apple Earphones until I find something better. I wouldn't recommend them if you are a frequent runner.

Sennheiser CX 685 Sports In-Ear canal Headphones