5.0 out of 5 stars Aural steroids!
~Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear canal Headphones~

As an avid gym-goer and music connoiseur, I simply cannot rate these headphones highly enough.

Published on 27 Nov 2012 by CGN

1.0 out of 5 stars Basically unuseable
My last pair of Sennheiser sport headphones were great. They had two buds, one went in your ear and the other sat inside the curve of the ear securing the whole thing in place. Good sounds, nice depth, great bass.

Published 16 months ago by Hillgirl

1.0 out of 5 stars Basically unuseable, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

This pair keep falling out/ off. The one size fits all nature just doesn't fit me. One side keeps working its way out of my ear canal and then the whole thing falls off one ear. I spent my first and only run with them constantly adjusting and fiddling with the ear piece on one side. Despite changing the bud covers to different sizes nothing has worked. The loop over the ear is just too big and the structure doesn't promote keeping it in your ear. On top of that the sound is really tinny. Gave them to my husband to try (after spending such alot of money on them I didn't want to simply throw them away) but he agreed. Very tinny sound and not at all comfortable for him either. So disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aural steroids!, 27 Nov 2012
~Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear canal Headphones~

Starting with the sound: any reviewers who claim that this piece of kit delivers mediocre sound quality is a sandwich short of a picnic (sorry guys - maybe it's time for you to go for a hearing test?) The rendering is exceptionally high fidelity for an earbud-type headphone, and delightfully balanced, with clear trebles, meaty midtones and substantial (though not overbearing) bass. Contrary to other reviews, the sound does not distort at high volumes. If you are listing to music at a volume high enough to cause these to distort, then it is DEFINITELY time for you to book a hearing test.

Moving on now to the sport element: the design of these headphones is simply exceptional. This is the only product - and I've tested my fair share - which does not budge despite an onslaught of veritable rivers of sweat. The design is so ingenious, from the positioning of the buds on their plastic mount to the shape of the earhook itself, that the noise cancelling in-ear effect is never compromised, and the fitting itself is weightless to the point of you forgetting it's there at all. The feature of the inline sponge sweat protector seems to be unique to the market, and it is frankly brilliant. It's washable, protects the integrity of the delicate sound-reproducing membrane of the headphone, and this product comes with a spare set of sponges for those of you who really effervesce copious amounts of salty juices.

Finally, the issue of phone compatability. Yes - the music features seem to be incompatible with some types of phone, but this should not come as a suprise to anyone... read the product marketing text before you buy a product; it's a useful rule of thumb in many areas of life! The main thing, i.e. the hands-free call functionality, seems to work with any phone. This means that you can pick up a call by pressing the 'play' button, and the remote microphone works flawlessly - so all's well that ends well on that front.

This, for me, is the epitome of sensitive product engineering to the nth degree. If you're looking for a decent pair of sports headphones, these tick all the boxes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible with HTC One, 16 Jan 2014
Tried these, great audio quality and very comfortable. However they neglect to mention what they are compatible with.. The volume control did not work what so ever on my HTC One....

For that I'm giving them a low rating cause is the fact that they do not mention this and as the volume control is what I bought them for this proved a total waste of £50... I've had £10 headphones that had working volume controls on

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish earphones!, 29 Aug 2014
DO NOT BUY THESE EARPHONES! After years of buying cheap earphones after cheap earphones for use at the gym and them getting ruined by sweat etc I wanted to fork out a little more and buy a decent pair that would last and were SWEAT RESISTANT! These earphones claim to be just that but unfortunately are just another false claim.....they look great, feel great in, are a great fit but that's about where it ends.....I have used these for just a month and already water and sweat has got in and the volume and track control no longer works and there is an annoying crackling sound in one of the buds. This is very disappointing and has left me wondering if any of these 'sports' earphones are going to be long lasting and sweat resistant. I will now buy a cheap £5 pair for use at the gym and replace every month if necessary.......seems I will be better off in the long run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound, easy to fit and I use when it's raining, 28 Feb 2014
A Manning (London) - See all my reviews
A very good product. Sound is very good for the price. And it didn't tangle as much as some earbuds. Audio quality on the mic is decent too. On android phones (mine anyway) the middle button does stop/start whatever you're listening to. However, the up/down volume buttons don't do anything (may work on iPhones though)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music quality but poor fit, 2 Jan 2014
I've been searching for good quality headphones for gym and running. These Sennheiser headphones give good music quality, but at least in my ears the headphones won't stay in. Just a little bit of motion will make the plugs to pop out and the music quality drops dramatically. Apart from that the overall quality is very good, but the fit just isn't too good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for Apple users who have the right sized ears for a proper fit - for everyone else its completely hit or miss, 15 Nov 2014
E. McKnight (Plymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought these to replace my CX680s which had a few design flaws of their own over the years and having a several replacements through Sennheiser's excellent 2 year warranty (as long as you purchase them through an approved dealer). I own a lot of Sennheiser headphones, from the high end HD800 and IE800s right down to the CX680s which were used daily for exercise. These have an in-line volume control which is integrated into the cable, my CX680s were a two part design with the volume control on the second cable section - this offered some flexibility in how it was attached but also caused a weakness as it was usually this part of the headphones which would fail. Sennheiser has done away with this design (which was essentially a variable resistor) and has incorporated the same volume control/ play and pause design that is compatible with Apple products, unfortunately this means the volume control is not universally compatible so if you have an Android device it may or may not work. I was planning to use these with an old (but very rugged) Zune HD and this does not work at all even though the simpler volume control on the CX680 did.

Although these appear to be more robust and lighter than the CX680 as part of its improvements, the biggest flaw is the over-ear rubberised clips. Lots of people have complained about how tinny the sound is from these headphones, well they are not tinny at all, in fact they produce very good sound indeed but they do need to be properly inserted in the ear, with a tight seal to get a full range of the headphones, this is what all ear-canal headphones require. Unfortunately if your ears are not the right size to fit the 'one size fits all' clips then they will either pop out altogether or rest on the very edge of the ear canal producing very tinny sound - as they are not inserted far enough. Other Sennheiser/Adidas headphones have adjustable attachments which accommodate this requirement, as these don't, they are very hit or miss - entirely down to whether you have the right size ears or not.

I returned them without hesitation and bought the cheaper CX685s which are brilliant despite not having a volume control, but then again the one on these did not work for me anyway. Come on Sennheiser, what were you thinking with this design? You can do much better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, good fit just a little unreliable build quality!, 7 Nov 2014
I have owned multiple sets of these headphones for about 2.5 years now and still use them to this day. First of all, let me say I am avid music fan. I like my music to be high quality; I enjoy high end sets of headphones and have a serious hifi/ DAC/ pre-power and excellent speakers so I can appreciate good sound.

I found that using regular in ear earphones my ears became sore after an hours use, they often fell out or got tangled up and in general I had a bad experience I had tried many different types and brands.
Ultimately I came across a set of these headphones they looked ideal; potentially comfortable, good sound quality and designed for sports and gym use. This was really useful since I was preparing for a marathon and was jogging 5-10 miles a day and going to the gym multiple times a week.
I purchased a set of these and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality, it is a well-rounded sound nice and warm but still retaining plenty of detail and even midrange. Bass was reasonable enough for tiny little buds overall I was quite happy considering my source was Google Play Music and a headphone output on my at the time phone a Galaxy S3.

The fit was excellent, the clip kept them out of the way they didn’t fall out of my ear and I have worn them at times for 5-6 hours without fatigue or any discomfort. Since that point I have owned around 4-5 pairs of these and have yet to swap for anything else.

In addition to the above they also come with multiple sizes of ear rubber, a decent case, wax remover and other random bits.

Now for the bad, the reason I have had 4-5 pairs of these is that they simply do not last. Fair enough I use them on a regular basis but the problem is the same every time, I always lose sound in one ear due to movement in the cable near the 3.5mm jack. Each time I take them back swap them over for a new set and continue on.

So as long as you accept with these headphones they WILL go faulty, my first set lasted 12 months the others I have had varied between a month to a year. The sound is excellent for a set of in-ears with even a poor source. They fit well and look fairly unobtrusive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but expected more from Sennheiser!, 22 Nov 2014
Silvester (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Finding a decent pair of in ear headphones for gym use can be a real nightmare. I've always found it really difficult to find in-ear headphones which will stay in no matter what at the gym. These are one of the few pairs I've found aren't flying all over the place during workouts.

*** Pros ***

✓ Comfortable even with extended use
✓ In-line microphone
✓ Much better than the rubbish headphones you get with your iPhone
✓ 2 Year Warranty
✓ Good build quality

I even managed to accidentally put mine through the washing machine with my gym kit. When I found them, I expected them to be ruined, but I left them out to dry for a few days and they still worked perfectly!

*** Cons ***

- Not the best in-ear headphones I've used
- Wire could be a little longer
- Its a shame the smart remote doesn't work with more devices

*** Conclusion ***

I found these headphones good for the gym because I found they didn't fly out of my ears during workouts. Although the sound is fairly reasonable, they don't provide the most amazing sound I've ever heard from headphones, but as they are in-ear headphones, I didn't have massive expectations for sound quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat unimpressed..., 10 Nov 2014
I bought these for my husband who wanted some sports headphones with a microphone so he could take calls while working out. We both tried them when they arrived. I personally found the sound quality lacking in that it had no sense of ambience, as if you were hearing the music in a room with the sound deadened (if that makes any sense). My husband thought they were great though, and that my impression of the sound quality was probably due to the fact they cut out external sounds. I wasn't too convinced but as he was happy with them that was the important thing. However, after only a couple of times use, the mic packed in. They weren't even a month old. So they've been sent back. As it was within a month of buying, I could send them back to Amazon, which is just was well because I also tried contacting Sennheiser UK via their website which was nightmarish. To conclude, I find them unimpressive for the RRP - I personally wouldn't buy them for myself, though him indoors would give them another go...