5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping end-of-the-world story
After devouring Redaction: Extinction Level Event in mere hours, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel...and oh boy, I stayed up till 4am reading this!

Published 23 months ago by Elle L

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept my interest
This book kept my interest. I found much of it predictable, but nevertheless it was enjoyable and I wanted to find out more.
Published 9 months ago by Mark Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping end-of-the-world story, 7 Sep 2012
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)

We follow the crew of survivors we met in book 1, the kick-ass WMD specialist Mavis Spanner and her strong, devoted soldier love David, as well as young Mannie, wheelchair veteran Herny and the kids, as they rush to the safety of the mines to avoid the nuclear meltdown, resulting from the fact that the people manning the nuclear plants dying of the Anthrax attack in book 1.

We also get introduced to a second kick-ass heroin, school teacher preppy Audra, and follow her and the school buses with survivors as they cross the wasteland of Arizona to reach the soldiers led by Mavis Spanner. She also has a love affair blooming in the midst of the apocalypse, which adds something special to the grim storyline. There is some comic relief as we watch the Principal and other teachers carry guns and try to escape evil gangs and survive, but still maintain their middle class, schoolteachers personas and humor.

The villain Trent, the bloodthirsty killer posing as a priest is gaining support amongst civilians in Mavis' group, spreading discord and distrust of the military, which can end in a coup. While soldiers keep on dying of anthrax and the sane people diminish, the 'wolves' find the opportunity to get control of some of the convoy and attack the soldiers trying to gain power.

Mavis and her group of faithful followers battle not only the elements, the anthrax in the atmosphere and the race against time before the nuclear plant goes bust and the earth becomes lethal for humans, animals and plants alike, but have to find the right way to manage the discord before Trent becomes a separatist force and the civilians attack the military few who try to get them to safety.

Storylines and subplots merge and meet each other in the end, as the different groups of people we follow converge in Colorado, in the safety of the mountains, where the book leaves you, with maybe the promise of another sequel. I am curious to see what happens when the nuclear plant errupts, and how life is going to be for the community of survivors in the mines, who seem to be one of the few groups that survive a total life on earth wipe out.

The story is so complex and the storytelling convincingly takes you through the charred, hopeless place where the survivors battle to make it to safety. Our heroes face numerous trials, scares and dangers, like gang rapes, shootings and sickness, but they hold on to their humanity, solidarity and hope.

It is a truly inspiring tale of survival, courage, wit, loyalty and determination. I laughed, I cried, I became one with the protagonists, really felling the anxiety of survival seep into my bones.

I absolutely loved it and any fans of dystopian fiction, war fiction and even romantic suspense fiction, would love it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday reading, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
Second in the series and I've just got the third. Nicely paced, good build up. I got a bit lost in some of the dialogue, particularly when Papa Rose has the munchkins in the car, the dialogue was difficult to follow in terms of who was saying what. Apart from some repetitive and unnecessary description (I think most of us know what windscreen wipers do) I really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to what I presume is the final episode in the trilogy.......or not. So far, no daft bits, "they entered the dark scary cave and split up" the story and setting appear logical and believable, I think this series would make good holiday reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent read, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable read a good continuation of the story. Different threads combining well to maintain the flow and thrill of the story. Couple of times the story jumped too far ahead and was disorientating thought I'd missed a section. Could have dealt with the villain better at the end but it didn't spoil the experience. Confident in the author I bought part 2&3 at the same time. This one didn't let me down and I look forward to the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept my interest, 24 Nov 2013
Mark Allen (Belfast, Ireland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
Another great read in the Redaction series. This and the first book really bring to light how quickly and easily the world could be brought to its knees. Thought provoking and a good story at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
continues from the first book seamlessly. Still lov ing the story, and must
read their story to its conclution. recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
How brilliant this book it - I could not wait to finish it - the first book was the same and I am hoping the third is also this good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed it nearly as much as I enjoyed the first one. It's a good read and moves at a decent pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redaction: The Meldown Part II, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
Oh be still my beating heart! Book one gripped me and now book two has done just the same. Absolutely brilliant story, fabulous characters - what a page turner. I hate it when people explain the plot in their reviews - gives too much away - so I won't be doing that here ...... just read the book - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Redaction: The Meltdown Part II (Kindle Edition)
I loved the first book in this series, and bought this and others by her as soon as I'd finished it. This one's even better. Completely compulsive reading, very highly recommended. Everything's been so thoroughly thought through, the plot and writing are intelligent, I can't praise this writer highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›