5.0 out of 5 stars Best Defender Yet
This is my 4th Otterbox Defender. I've used one on the iPhone 3GS, on the iPhone 4 and now on the iPhone 5. My wife also has one on her iPhone 4S. I have also used a Griffin Survivor on my iPhone 4, so I know the difference with that too.

Published 18 months ago by L. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Danger - fakes are being sold on amazon
I purchased this from a seller on amazon for 13 but the item supplied was a fake.

It was of inferior quality because the case screen had a green tint and the material of the case did not feel as nice as the genuine Otterbox my wife purchased from a well known high street store on the same day (for a higher price).

There is just no way a genuine...
Published 8 months ago by anotherguy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Defender Yet, 18 Oct 2012
L. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)

I use these cases to protect my iPhone when i'm mountain biking, camping etc and when the children want to use the phones!

I'm pleased to say that the Defender seems to get better with each release. The 3GS suffered from terrible 'watermarks' on the integral screen protector when it touched the screen, and a too stretchy outer silicone layer which got sloppy on the case after a while. They'd solved the watermarks on the iPhone 4 version but the sloppy silicone was still there. They solved that too on my wifes 4S version, but introduced a new problem - a pretty rubbish fitting cover over the power connector at the bottom, which was just a pain to fit properly.

I'm pleased to say that no such problems exist with the Defender on the iPhone 5. The screen protector is beautifully clear, works perfectly and has no watermarks in sight. Similarly, the silicone outer layer is now a much firmer material which fits much more snugly and doesn't look like it will stretch over time. The covers protecting the vibrate switch, headphone socket and lightning port also now all fit easily but also nice and tightly.

The outer plastic shell fits as well as it always did and the back plate has a nice thin piece of foam type material to protect the back of your phone.

The camera cutouts front and back are large enough to allow the devices to work but no bigger than they need to be I don't think. Any smaller and I think the camera might pick up the edge of the case.

About my only complaint might be that the home button feels a bit lacking responsiveness, but there's a good chunk of silicone over it, so that's why, and I am being quite picky here.

Compared to the Griffin Survivor (which is an excellent case), it's far less bulky and military looking, and yes, you do lose the total protection that the survivor provides by covering the cameras too, but thats a trade-off against usability as using the rear camera on the survivor is just a pain - removing the cover all the time, which never wants to stay in its latch hole.

The Defender is an expensive case, yes, but compared to repairing your phone, it's a small price to pay. I also think it makes the iPhone 5 much more pleasant to hold and because the phone itself is lighter, the phone in the case still feels quite light overall.

If you want almost total protection of your phone, but don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of size, weight and usability, then I don't see how you can improve on the Otterbox, without going to the, somewhat over the top, Griffin Survivor. I've had both and i'm sticking with the Otterbox - it really is a lovely case.

1.0 out of 5 stars Danger - fakes are being sold on amazon, 26 July 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)

There is just no way a genuine otterbox case is available for 13 so watch out for fakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Arnie Swartzenegger of Phone covers, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
This is one tough case. I have dropped mine from quite a height and not a mark or damage to the phone inside.

Well worth spending the money to protect that expensive IPhone 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection, 28 Oct 2012
Richard Cant "AVFC Rich" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
If you want your iphone to remain in mint condition then this is defiantly the case for you as long as you don't mind the phone being completely locked away, a bit bulkier and its good looks hidden. I fall into that category. I am an Electrician and work on building sites so I want my phone to be completely protected.

If you was to drop your phone this case would defiantly protect it and the case seems completely dust proof. The case is a hard plastic shell with a rubber/silicone cover over it. I like the fact that the case has a screen protector build into it so no need to buy a separate screen protector and go through the rigmarol and awkwardness of applying it. It is easy enough to apply.

Minor negatives about the product. The home button is a lot more stiffer to press with the case applied but this is not a deal breaker for me. And also the silence switch, headphone socket and lightning connector port are covered by there own separate flaps. I find these awkward to open. And seems like a pain in the backside just to switch my phone to silent, put my phone on charge or connect my headphones. I have to get a pen or something similar to open the flaps out and still find them awkward to open. And I get a feeling over time of these being opened and closed they will probably break off. Although they do keep the dust out which is positive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratchbox, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
Bought this as I am a tradesman, so needed something rugged that would protect this lovely phone from a few bashes/drops. On this I would award 5 stars. It is a bulky case but for me, I was happy, safe in the knowledge that nothing could damage my new phone ( apart from dropping it in water of course).
So why do I give this case 1 star? Because after 1 month of usage I decided to take it apart and give it a little clean, this is when I noticed several scratches in various places, some light ones around the top where the speaker is. The worst ones being quite deep around the edges mainly towards the corners.
So this case does not offer very good dust/debris protection but actually attracts it, letting it free to work it's way in and grind against your phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
3 months in the case has become to big for phone, my iphone has a big crack down the back and now the front of the case has snapped off. The worst thing is, it hasn't really been dropped or anything. Very disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great protection.. but..., 20 Oct 2013
Brett (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
Offers amazing protection with out a question of a doubt, However, for me the screen protector built in to the case sticks to the phone screen creating bubbles all over the place, very unsightly, it's now in my draw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protector, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
A very good product. Price is surprisingly cheaper in the Uk than the USA for an American made product. The screen protects the ipod screen from scratching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard wearing case, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
Would recommend this product to anyone is accident prone and wants a case that will ensure their phone is fully protected. As well as the protection the phone doesn't lose any of it functionality while in the case, with the screen still working perfectly and no issues with responding to users touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Protects from destruction but will scratch your phone, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Accessory)
This case is perfect if you are trying to protect your phone from drops or other events that might destroy your phone.

However, if you want to keep your phone pristine, keep away. The phone is encased in a shell of hard plastic that will eventully scratch your phone. Mine had several deep dents on the side and front (the part encased in plastic) after just a month's use.

I've switched to a lighter rubber case that will not be as effective if I drop the phone, but will not scratch the phone over daily use.

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)