5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably complete coverage of the free package
Published 5 months ago by Andy_atGC

3.0 out of 5 stars Still leaves questions
OK for a starter, but Google Drive and the associated 'Docs' applications still leave me dumb at times.

I would like to know more about how the folder hierarchy works and how I can get shot of all the stuff I don't need to leave me with a clean, uncluttered and easy to use, cooperative working system.

On the other hand Google Drive is free.
Published 4 months ago by W Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably complete coverage of the free package, 1 Feb 2014
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Google Drive is a multi-platform, free mini-office suite from Google. It has versions for the PC, iPads and iPhones, and Chromebooks (it is a major component of the Chrome OS) and there is a client for Android which allows Google documents created on one device or computer and in its Google Drive folder to be viewed on any other compatible platform. Google offer little or no written instructions on its use and this book is one of a very few to fill that need.

The component apps are undemanding, far less capable and complete than Microsoft Office and those such as LibreOffice or OpenOffice or any other similar package. However, for basic letter writing, inter-office reports, simple spreadsheets and presentations Google Docs will probably meet most people's normal needs. One thing that it can do that the more complex products cannot do quite as readily or at all is to allow group contributions. One person can edit another's work provided that they are members of the same network or have access to it via a provided link; instead of saving its files to a local hard drive, memory stick or some other device they are all in the Cloud. It will therefore allow remote contributions from many people, simultaneously or independently, to a magazine, book or other large publication.

The book is a short one, barely more than 100 pages, is easy to read even for those with minimal computing knowledge and is sufficient to cover most of the offered functions in some depth. However, not all options within a function are covered but there is more than enough to get you started. Thanks to its brevity and easy writing style, it should satisfy most of the package's users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book authoring collaboration, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Google Drive And Docs In 30 Minutes: The Unofficial Guide To Google's Free Online Office And Storage Suite (Kindle Edition)
A colleague and I had written a technical book that took us 5 years. We communicated by email with attachments that were limited in size. So any images that were two large for email were copied on to CD and posted.

Now four years later we are embarking on another technical book with another author who lives and works in the USA and Luxembourg.

So this time we are using the "Cloud" to collaborate and we all use Google so "Google Drive" was our choise. So that we are all using the same hyme sheet we needed a procedure to follow and "Google Drive & Docs in 30 Minutes" turned out to be just right for us. Chapters 2 and 6 covers every technique we will need. So I give 5 stars for my review.l

Martin Flint

5.0 out of 5 stars i, 8 July 2014
A great help

3.0 out of 5 stars Still leaves questions, 12 Mar 2014
W Jones (Essex UK) - See all my reviews

On the other hand Google Drive is free.