on 28 February 2013
This is a splendid publication and is thoroughly recommended to everyone interested in the development of this great world city, whether they have lived in London or simply visited the capital. It is also a challenging read of more than 550 pages and this reviewer would also recommend the use of a large-scale atlas, such as the Times Atlas of London (2012), and/or the Cassini boxed set of Ordnance Survey Maps 1805-1948, whilst reading the book.
I suppose my only faint criticism, as a retired geographer with a particular interest in the Interwar suburban growth of London, would be that Nick Barratt, like many historians, insists on going back to the very earliest beginnings of the foundation of the city, so that the the more recent developments receive rather less coverage than expected. However, this should not detract from a well-researched and magnificently illustrated text.
on 27 March 2013
Well I have just got to the end of the book and as a Londoner I have been amazed at how much info Nick has managed to put into this book. To see the growth of London from its early days to the current sprawl - and see how different parts of London have gone from desirable to unloved and back again really shows how organic London is. Truly a world city, London has been a magnate for people from the rest of the UK and the four corners of the world and that melting pot of cultures, beliefs and practices has moulded the city over time. I have learnt all sort of interesting snippets, which have helped flesh out the places where my ancestors lived and worked. If you have an interest in London beyond the 'city' (which has retained a remarkable control over its own dominion), then this is a book that is really worth having. Enjoy.
on 18 March 2013
I want to start by saying that it is a great book - fully recommended with some very interesting stories!

However - I brought it as a kindle book. The book has lots of maps and diagrams - with text annotations and these were unreadable on my kindle (via iPad). The quality was poor and blurry when you tried to expand them. It did really effect the enjoyment of the book

I have queried this with amazon who have given me a refund and will be passing my feedback to the publisher and they hope to resolve it at some point

So - probably best to keep to the book version for the moment if you are thinking about buying this title
on 9 March 2013
This book has brilliant style and is easy to read. As a person who has lived and worked in London on and off for 30+ years, I have a great love for the place, and it is fascinating to see how the city has grown and constantly adapted. Nick's highlighting of small details whilst filling us in on the bigger picture is brilliantly handled. My hardback copy had some reproduced images that were too dark to see properly, but that did not take away the great enjoyment I had reading it.
Well worth it.
on 7 February 2015
This was an enjoyable read. I have read other books on the history of London, but this book had more emphasis on the latter development of the city and suburbs. This book was very well researched, and the appendix at the end was particularly useful in giving a potted history of all the London boroughs. The problem with a book like this that covers such a vast area and history as London, is what to include and what to leave out, and I feel that Nick Barratt does a good job on editing such a vast array of facts and figures. Anyone who has an interest in the history of London and wonders why places are called what they are, and also wants a potted history of their little bit of London will find this book of great interest and enjoyment.
on 15 September 2015
I am researching my family history. Many of them lived in and around London in the late 18th century and throughout the 19th century. This book gives an excellent history of the development of London from Roman times. I have learnt so much! And in particular I can almost envisage the buzzing Pool of London where my forebears did business. It has given me a really good background, in particular, to the City, how and why it developed. As several of my relatives were Freemen of the City of London I now know a great deal more about the metropolis in times of yore.
on 1 July 2014
I did not realize there was so much to learn about 'MY' home town. I enjoyed this book immensely and am pleased that I got it from the library first, so I could really browse through the pictures when I had finished it. AND then have it to delve back into to refresh certain points.
on 10 September 2014
A weighty book covering the suburbs of London. It's well written and well researched and for anyone interested in the other London other than just the central part this is informative and quite eye opening. A good buy.
on 26 March 2013
Bit of a curate's egg of a book. Rather too much old history and not enough of what today's suburbs are really like. Nevertheless this is a good read for anyone wanting to understand how London has become what it is
on 8 April 2013
Very well researched, compiled and written. I was a little disappointed by the quality and relatively small number of the illustrations. But well worth the price.