Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 April 2013
Fantastic album, great in the car and at home even more exceptional. Make sure you have good speakers, you need as flawless a sound as possible to appreciate the huge amount of space that they put into their music.
on 11 February 2014
Had this in my wishlist, & subsequently got it for Christmas.

Let's make no bones - this is quality stuff, but whether it appeals to my sense of musical opinion is another matter.

Gilles Peterson was the catalyst for my hearing The Submotion Orchestra, & my ears pricked up when he had them on his show to promote their first album. This album though starts in superb fashion, with 'Intro' & then into 'Blind Spot', but from there on in, the music failed to captivate or excite me as I was hoping.

My nature will force me to listen to this again & again in time, because as I said, I can hear the quality, it just doens't seem to be grabbing me at this moment in time - but then my music tastes are transient.
on 2 December 2015
I actually prefer this album to Finest Hour. It feels more polished, and while more electronic, I don't see that as a bad thing.

The whole album builds nicely and is great to be listened to as whole, but listening to songs individually doesn't detract anything from them. Intro is a great introduction, I turned my speakers up and knew I was in for a treat.

My only gripe was the song Snow, which I thought kind of dragged on a bit, but apart from that a great album. I really like Times Strange too, a nice change of pace and interesting sound.

Nicely done, looking forward to see where they go from now.
on 1 January 2014
This album has a comforting quality that I also find from Moby, but also has some storming basslines too (although not in a maxxed out Vauxhall Corsa booming down the high street with teenagers hanging out the windows sort of way).
If you have a decent hifi that thrives on timing and a tight non-flabby bass, then even if you don't like the actual songwriting, you'll still love the effect! Very strong album and quite accessible.
on 24 September 2013
Ruby Wood’s voice is always a pleasure to listen to.
The track “Times Strange” sung by Rider Shafique is different to the rest of the album but is appropriate for these conspiracy times.
Most of the tracks are enjoyable but I found “Thousand Yard Stare” a little grating.
on 18 October 2012
I Would completely disagree with some of the other (shall we not mention) moody reviews. This album follows on the success of their previous album and pushes forward the fusion of styles that make submotion orchestra almost unique. This album follows more of the progressive/ambient side of the genre but nethertheless it was worth every penny
on 14 July 2015
Excellent
on 20 May 2015
amazing
on 30 March 2015
lovely
on 10 October 2012
Enjoyed much of their promising first album, with a couple of stand out early-UK-Garage-soundy-likey tracks (Always, Secrets) and some really sweet downtempo tracks (All Yours, Angel Eyes) reminiscent of Hinda Hicks (GMT soundtrack) and even a nod to Alice Russell.

On the strength of first few listens, this doesn't live up to or build on that promise. It's ramped up the early-UK-garage vibe, reaching fromage overload, whilst the softer tracks are thin, poppy plops. Exceptions are 'Times Strange', only track with a guest artist which bumps along and builds nicely against convincing spoken patter. The best track could have come straight off the first album 'It's not me it's you'; lively and pleasant with a few cheese shavings but overall a good track with great trumpet break (wish they gave the trumpet guy more room on this album).

I can see this album really appealing to young, happy go lucky women who happen to be living in 1997.