5.0 out of 5 stars RF550D Ring Light
Published 16 months ago by Pat Weegie

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, tacky and broken.
I am not impressed with this product. I bought it as a small addition to my kit, knowing that I'll rarely use it.

On the plus, it did arrive nice and early. However, when I opened the box, every individual thing was wrapped in tight plastic wrapping, rather annoying.

Published 16 days ago by Samuel Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars RF550D Ring Light, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: BestDealUK Macro LED Ring Flash RF550D for Nikon Canon EOS 50D 40D DSLR Camera (Electronics)
I'm quite impressed with this 'Travor' RF-550D (made by Celltech Electronic Company Ltd) Macro Ring Flash. Build quality is good for the price, the only issue will be the plastic lens adaptors, I expect the threads on them to wear out fast if the unit is removed and put back on frequently, so don't expect the adaptors to last years with constant use. I recommend that you are gentle and take your time when fitting the lens adaptor, rush it or be a bit rough and you will strip the plastic threads, I also recommend that you do not over-tighten them, not even finger tight. Leave the adaptor slightly loose for safety.

The amount of light the ring flash/light gives off is quite impressive by illuminating the subject to be photographed extremely well.

(Now for the technical, extremely boring bit that those seriously into photography will probably be interested in and will probably be able to make sense of) Using a digital multimeter with a built in 'Lux light meter' I measured the approximate illumination intensity of a subject (the multimeter itself) at three distances using just three settings of the units 'stepped' variable brightness control (with the light constantly on).

As a comparison on how much this unit will light the subject to be photographed I checked the illumination on the same subject with 2 bulbs, one an incandescent 40w SES spotlight and a 12w ES CFL energy saver. (please don't ask for the figures in Lumen's, that would be really pointless, instead please just google it.)

Cheap 40w SES spotlight bulb:

1,100 lux at 30 cm
350 lux at 60 cm

The RF-550D for illumination comparison:
At a distance to subject from light of 10cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 11,800 Lux. (very close to the 40watt bulb illumination level)
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 9,100 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 6,250 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 30cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 2,750 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 2,100 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 1,450 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 60cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 740 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 570 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 410 Lux.

With the 'Opal white diffuser' attached repeating the above tests:

At a distance to subject from light of 10cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 3,550 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 2,780 Lux .
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 1,920 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 30cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 730 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 560 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 400 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 60cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 220 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 180 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 140 Lux.

(Lux light meter accuracy: +/-5%, manufacturer calibrated to incandescent light source at a colour temp of 2856kelvin.)

The LED flash function on the RF-550D emits it's light in approximately 1/100th of a second, it's not as fast or as intense as a strobe flash, you might notice a very slight delay after the shutter release is pressed if you are used to using strobe based flashes.

According to the manufacturer the colour temperature of the light this ring light/flash gives off is 3000kelvin to 15000kelvin, I have no way of testing this claim as the equipment required is well out of my price range (unless I was lucky enough to win the lottery, then I would have a go at it).

This ring flash/light also works on a Fuji Finepix S9000/S9500 bridge camera, the only issue is that with the opal white diffuser attached it will cause chronic light reflections in the lens due to the way the diffuser very slightly catches the edge of the field of view of the lens, this results in optical effects through the lens caused by the light itself, this makes that diffuser useless, I'll guess that the coloured diffusers also cause this issue too on that camera.

The only way I think I can get round that optical interference issue is to mask off the edge of the diffuser closest to the lens with matt black tape. I do not know if this issue exists with other lenses as the lens it was tried on is a 58mm diameter permanently attached 28mm to 300mm manual zoom lens and is non removable. Apart from that minor optical reflection issue, it works perfectly.

The Voltage on the RF-550D at the hot-shoe terminals is just slightly over 3 volts, this is important for some DSLR cameras as many of them cannot handle anything higher than 5v without causing expensive damage to their camera.

For a budget macro ring light I'd give it 8/10 only due to the fact the threads on the adaptors are plastic and will wear out fast with constant use, otherwise it's a nice bit of kit and does what the maker says it will even though it can be a bit too bright for macro use and has a little issue using the lens mentioned above (I'll soon rectify that using a little ingenuity and inventiveness). ;-)

Ps, I'd like to thank BestDealUK for a fast dispatch and delivery, it only took 7 days and that includes weekends, that's fast considering the item came all the way from Hong Kong. :-)

Anyway, I'm now going off to irritate the wife, I want to see if I can catch her loony pets in funny poses/antics using my new bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 20 Jan 2013
Is fits both my 52mm and 58mm lenses. Easy to use and creates nice lighting effects. Not heavy so allows easy movement and still hands on camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Jan 2013
I wanted a ring flash for macro work and this is the perfect one for me. Easy to use, it does everything I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This flash ring gives a very bright white light with the abilit to be used for a spot light, 11 Sep 2013
I received this light ring in good condition and arrived in a few days after I ordered it, gives off a very bright white light with the ability to be used to give a flash from left, right or full flash, or can be used as a spot light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for portrait and macro shhots, 16 July 2013
I've now used this loads of times on portrait shoots and when I am doing macro photography. Great product and not a lot of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blitz, 18 April 2013
G. J. Hircombe (UK) - See all my reviews
Would recommend this ring flash whole-heartedly, works well with my Canon 40D and 100mm macro lens.
Results so-far excellent.. Value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Feb 2013
Having looked long and hard at several different budget brands and not being able to afford Nikon or high end brand names, this one stood out at under 25 as a "what have you got to lose" purchase. I'm glad I took the plunge. The constant light function makes it so easy use whereas the flash and left/right illumination takes a little bit of experimentation to get the exposure correct. The light with the diffuser is soft enough to use as a fill flash for portraits although it is still quite bright even on the minimum setting. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE BARGAIN, 17 Mar 2014
Didn't expect too much but I'm having fun. Eats batteries - shoot and turn off! Love it! Watch guide number settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Unpack the contents, 8 July 2014
I took a chance on this as it was so cheap. I believe it came from Hong Kong.
It arrived earlier than expected and was packaged well.
Apart from the instructions being rather challenging every thing seemed OK. I use mostly 53, 55, and 73, mm lenses and my excitement waned when none of the adapter rings fitted. I spent a whole afternoon trying close up photography by holding the flash ring, which incidentally worked perfectly and was simple to use. Later that day I went back online to complain when I noticed the illustration shows eight adapter rings. I only found four. In my enthusiasm to get started I had failed to unpack the box properly and duly found the other four.
I now have a complete set up.
As an amateur I cannot afford expensive kit, so I think my gamble paid off. I do not know how long it will last but for the money, I can,t fault it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, tacky and broken., 27 Jun 2014

Once I released the main flash unit, I placed in normal 4x AA batteries - and it didn't work. I contacted the company directly for assistance but heard nothing back from them.

It does not feel well built, even for a cheap model. Also as another comment says, I too agree that the threads on the adaptor rings feel like they will easily erode away.