5.0 out of 5 stars The book you need when you can't rember the way., 24 Mar 1999
By A Customer
Perl in a Nutshell fills in that gap between the man pages and the other books. Learning Perl was good for the novice and Programming Perl had the main information you required. Advanced Perl Programming pushed out the boundraries, while The Perl Cookbook provided the missing bits of the first edition on Programming Perl.
For various reasons, I aleays prefered the first Programming Perl. I found it more complete and easier to find what I wanted. However the Perl 5 improvements to the language, meant a bigger book and a revision and I always have found it a little harder to find the odd things I am looking for when coding.
Now we have the "Quick Reference" Perl in a Nutshell, finding the correct syntax is easy and it covers the wider range of many of the other modules too. Together with the cookbook and the others, you have good solid, high quality upto date documentation, reference and solid working examples. In addition the books are very readable and clearly set out, which makes reading then a pleasure

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain, 23 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I'm amazed nobody has posted anything about this book yet. I've had it a couple of weeks, and it's become my favourite Perl book. Some people may criticise it for being a paper version of the online documentation, but I think it's much more than that.
The core of the book begins with a language reference. Operators, special variables, file test operators, etc (all those things you can forget if you've not used them for a bit) and available functions are listed. There might not be much here that isn't in the man pages, but it's much easier to read a book on the bus. Besides, I found that flipping through the pages I discovered lots of functions that I didn't know about before.
Then the standard modules are documented. Each one is explained briefly, and the method calls are documented. Again, there might not be much new stuff in here, but it's a very useful reference.
Next come chapters on CGI/mod_perl, Databases, Network programming, Perl/Tk and Win32. These are rather good. They don't necessarily tell you where to start, but give you concise examples of how things can be done. I've learnt loads about what you can do with Perl just by flipping through them.
Combine this with the Cookbook and the online docs, and I've got everything I need for day to day coding. And you can't knock it at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars To important not to have., 11 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is the only book that travels in my 'everyday' work bag. Everything I've needed to know has been in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Write Perl? You need this book., 24 Sep 2002
Timothy Allen "Government Guy" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I have this book next to my computer. It's all dog-eared and coffee-stained, which is its own form of five stars. It has good sections on how to write with the CGI module, LWP (for making Perl act like a web client), Perl/Tk, etc.
This makes an excellent addition to "Programming Perl" and "The Perl Cookbook", both from O'Reilly and both available here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, 1 Jun 2013
OK, so it's not the latest edition (I bought used, very good condition), but as a handy desktop reference to tie into the online stuff available this is a great companion for checking that what that blogger's site says about the syntax of a particular piece of Perl is really the advice you should follow.

Invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book (unless you are mad), 2 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I can't believe the good reviews for this book! It is an awful book from beginning to end. Little more than the perldoc for a range of modules, there are inadequate descriptions and examples. The only benefit is that it is cheap, but even still "Programming Perl" (3rd edition) is a much, much better buy.