4.0 out of 5 stars An essential in my work bag
Published on 18 Nov 2006 by purpleblob

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
I love these little books but was slightly disappointed with this one.

I appreciate the need to explain the variations between different implementations, but I would have preferred a more detailed (and simpler) description of the core elements of RegEx. For the price though, it's still worth purchasing.
Published on 3 April 2011 by Andy G

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential in my work bag, 18 Nov 2006
purpleblob (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
Okay, let me start by saying this book pretty much repeats information throughout the book and that's simply because it's aim is to show regular expressions in Perl, C, PHP, Python, Java and .NET. So it's a little like getting a manual for your DVD player with instruction in French, English etc. when all you care about is English. However, if you happen to work in various languages (as I have in the past) then this is actually a major selling point.

I do not use regular expression often enough to have instant recall of the metacharacters etc. and so this little book (at a pretty good price) which fits perfectly into a small pocket in my laptop bag is a MUST HAVE for me for those times I do need to write reg. expression code.

I don't leave home without it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Memory Aid, 20 Aug 2006
John Lawrence (UK) - See all my reviews
A few years ago I read "Mastering Regular Expressions" (the somewhat weightier sibling of this volume) cover to cover and loved every page. It's a great book, readable and filled with detailed explanations but within a few months almost all I had learnt was completely gone.

That is where this pocket reference comes in. The perfect tool to quickly jog your memory and remind you of that unusual rule. If you're new to regular expressions I'd recommend "Mastering Regular Expressions" first but, if you can, buy both. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential pocket guide, 27 Feb 2004
George Dickey (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
If use perl or a unix style operating system then this little book is a real gem. Unless that this, you can remember what all the funny little characters mean :-) I find myself using perl only a few times a month, so invariably when I want to do something, I know that it is possible, but I have to go searching for my camel to remind myself of the syntax.
Unlike some other pocket guides, this isn't just a reference, but actually contains some tutorial elements.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great RegEx crib sheet, 21 Aug 2010
Mr. S. Sprott - See all my reviews
I can never remember Regex syntax, and this is like a handy crib sheet I can keep on my desk without it cluttering the place up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pocket reference for regex., 4 April 2009
This book is a good reference for regex. I purchased this book because it covered Python syntax and it's quick and easy to use. However, if you are looking for something more comprehensive, go for Mastering Regular Expressions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 3 April 2011
I love these little books but was slightly disappointed with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power users and programmers use these things daily..., 19 Jan 2005
By A Customer
...so it's handy to have this nearby.
Good reminder of syntax in various programming languages and Unix/Linux shell tools, also covers unicode. Nice intro, with index.
Great companion to the other, fatter owl book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful reference for a tool every programmer should have in their box!, 8 Aug 2013
I'd recommend this product to those who are experienced programmers in one of the languages on the book and who really wants to be able to focus soley on Regexp for their language. The book goes into some details of what regex is and also how it can be used in different recipes. Great book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with great cross-language examples, 9 April 2013
D. Saunders - See all my reviews
I like this book as it gives good examples for major programming languages using the same case scenarios. Very useful and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Express yourself, 19 Nov 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Real programmers are regularly expressive. The concept is as important to programming languages and utilities as pointers are to "c". You can work your way around regular expression but you will never be great until you master them.

An advantage and a disadvantage is that instead of concentrating on UNIX we get sidetracked on many secondary and transitory environments. The advantage is you can talk regular expressions with everyone. The disadvantage is I prefer concentration on AIX, HP/UX, SCO, SUN and other real programming environments; they could show all the different commands and integrated regular expressions.

Definition: Regular expressions are a language used for parsing and manipulating text. They are often used to perform complex search-and-replace operations and to validate the text data is Well-formed.

I use a lot of vi and sed so regular expression is regularly used.

Bottom line is there are better books for specific environments. This one crosses over disciplines and you never know with whom you may need to converse.

Regular Expression Pocket Reference