5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start for techie types
True to form for the Nutshell guides, its brief, to the point and explains most XML related concepts XSL, XPATH, XML Schema etc in a really readble format.

If you've every written an kind of programming language then this is an excellent guide to take you through XML.

Published on 13 Feb. 2007 by SteveFromReading

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for? XML experts I think.
As a scientist and one who has some programining experience I am accustomed to grappling with difficult texts and difficult concepts. I don't roll over and give up if the info is not fed to me in nice, easy, bite-sized bits.
Published 5 months ago by Gonzo

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start for techie types, 13 Feb. 2007

I wouldn't say the coverage is 100%, it simply wouldn't fit in a concise guide like this if it were, it will cover the vast majority - theres always google for that one case of something really odd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for? XML experts I think., 6 Dec. 2014
Gonzo (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Along the long and continuing learning curve of becoming a scientist I have encountered a number of texts where I felt 'if you can actually extract meaning and useable information from the this then you don't need to read it because you are, infact, an expert anyway' - as was clearly the case with a couple of the previous reviewers.
It would be wrong of me to completely diss this book as I don't know whether it would be a really useful book for the intended readership - whovever that might be - no info is given in the text or on the cover as to whoever the intended readership is. Hence the two stars (I felt I wanted to give it none)
I would therefore offer up the following (I think fair) comments:
This text is NOT an introduction to XML - it is clearly written for those who already have a good working knowledge of XML.
Contrary to a previous review I think the book is NOT at all a good overview of XML. If you want to know why and where you would need to use XML, whether it is necessary for the purpose you wish to pursue, overall where XML is deployed and why it is fit for the purposes, then this book does not really answer this type of question. Yes the authors do give some very brief, one line statements about applications but they are very, very brief, terse, and dead ends.
The book is not a practical 'OK let's do it' book which guides you through creating a simple XML document (whatever), no guidance is given as to what tools you need to use XML or to see the results.
I think the authors and publishers should have more clearly defined who the book is for and said so in the preface or on the cover or in the opening chapters.
This deficit is clearly illustrated by a logical inconsistancy in the opening paragraphs: a very broad and simplified statement is gjven about what XML is, however, if your level of knowledge and experience with XML is - like mine - so rudimentary that you require this statement then the rest of the book is going to be completely beyond you - as it was to me.
It might well be an excellent reference work for XML experts but it is not for the novice.
It might well be XML in a nutshell but the book is a nutshell which requires a lot of expertise to crack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible for the XML klutz, 5 Aug. 2009
C. A. Austin "chezza99" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I sold this book. I wish I hadn't.

I write 'correct' XHTML: all the online tutorials tell me that, hey, I've got it down already. They're wrong; I hadn't even skimmed the surface!

This hefty tome takes you all the way from first XML principles to tantalising challenges, where you see just how powerful a universally-understood protocol can be. I read those parts, but wasn't ready to put them into practice ... I want the book back!!

I'd advise getting it, using it until the pages have turned to mulch, and keeping up with the related websites. Don't let its weight & volume put you off, like I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic starter book, 1 Jan. 2014
As for all the 'In a Nutshell' books this gives a good overview and context for XML, so even if you don't end up doing any programming, you could benefit from reading it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Mar. 2015
Very happy with the order

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Aug. 2014