on 11 December 2012
I ordered this hard disk to complement my MacBook Pro and to install a Windows 7 virtual machine on it using Parallels. The disk arrived promptly. It is much smaller and compact than I expected and most of all extremely quiet. If it weren't for the blue LED on it, I would not know if it is on or off. I connected it to my MacBook Pro and it immediately showed up in the list of devices as a Windows disk. Of course, this one does not need to be plugged into an electrical outlet which is excellent. I went ahead and reformatted it using Disk Utility and that was it. It became a Mac OS filesystem disk. Everything went smoothly. On USB 3.0 it is very fast.

CONS: Very minor: The disk comes with a very short USB cable, so it is really meant to sit next to a laptop not dangle from a high USB port on a PC tower. The only other thing to be aware of is that the port on the back of the disk looks non-standard. It is not a micro USB or any such thing. So, make sure you do not lose that cable. I think it may be hard to replace.

Other than that, I purchased the Duronic black case for it and it is a perfect fit. I now have 500GB extra storage for about £30 and a portable Windows 7 virtual machine. Brilliant!
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 December 2014
[This review is particularly for Linux users]

This is a quiet, fast efficient USB drive. And you're interested in buying it because it's BIG, right? Well, it is!

Minor issue: the USB cable has a USB 3.0 Micro-B plug connection into the drive itself, and as the cable is fairly short, you may need a USB 3 extension cable.

OK, now here's the thing for Linux users...

The drive comes formatted NTFS, which is fine if you use Windows, but not good if you use Linux, as NTFS does not preserve permissions and other important file characteristics. So you need to repartition and reformat the drive, as follows:

Use GParted with the following steps:

1 select the correct drive in the dropdown at the top right of GParted
(Be careful to select the usb drive, not the main internal drive of your computer! The size of the Seagate will not show as exactly 4Tb, but as something more like 3.7Tb)

2 click Device > Create Partition Table... > Advanced > In the drop-down, choose `gpt' (NB: this is important for drives > 2Tb )

3 then create your partition as normal, formatted to file system ext3 or ext4 as you wish

4 add an appropriate label (which I'll call <DriveLabel> below)

When you mount the drive, you may find the owner and group are both set to root, and you won't be able to write to it. If this is the case, do the following:

1 identify where your drive is mounted. (Depending on your distro, this may be in /media or in /mnt. Here I'll assume /mnt)

2 in a terminal do
cd /mnt
chown -R <YourUserName> <DriveLabel>
chgrp -R <YourGroupName> <DriveLabel>

(To find out your User and Group, in a terminal, type (without the quotes) `whoami' <return> to get your user name; then type 'groups' <return> - the first name will be the name of your primary group. User name and Group name will normally be the same on a single-user system.)

Unplug your drive and plug it back in, and you should be good to go!
on 8 November 2013
I already have 1 Seagate external HDD like this one, but th 2TB model which has worked perfectly since I got it, so when I needed more space for my DVD backups I decided on the 3TB model since it gave the most space for the least money.

Delivery was extremely quick and it worked as soon as I plugged it in, due it seemed to it already being formatted (with FAT 32), quite an excellent idea really since it meant there was no messing about trying to "initialise" it in the Control Panel.

A quick re-format with NTFS and it was ready.

Connected to a USB 3 port on an i7 (Win7 64bit) machine it easily backed up over 130Gb of DVDs at about 120-130Mb/sec.

So, very pleased with it.

But then I discovered one odd thing (at least to me it was odd at the time).

I plugged it into the machine I use for surfing (an Intel Duo Core running Win XP with USB 2) to see how much of the HDD it would recognise.

I was quite surprised when it recognised ALL of it and reported its real capacity (2.7 TB) since I had always believed that Win XP could not recognise a HDD above 2TB.

It also showed all the files I had put on there and just to be sure I copied a couple to the duo core machine.

But apparently, according to one source, you are fine using it as a data backup, and you will see the full capacity, you only hit problems if you use above 2TB as an OS internal HDD.

So, makes it even better.

EDIT: I have now also purchased the 4TB drive and this also works perfectly so far - like the other 2 I have - very quiet and fast plugged into a USB3 slot.

And it is also the coolest of the 3 I have even after several hours plugged in and transferring 2TB of data to it!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 December 2012
This product was delivered promptly and has performed faultlessly. Installation on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop required no effort and worked without problems from the time of first connection. The connecting cable is quite short but that suits my working environment. The device is very quiet in operation. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size: 500GBStyle Name: PortableVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was surprised at how small this thing was. It's the equivalent of 2500 3.5'' floppy discs, which I was still using just a few years ago on a PC with a 19gb hard drive. Man, does technology move fast. I expect that in five years laptops with hard drive space of 1PB (that's petabyte, or a million gb), will be on the market that's how quickly its evolving.

It's so small and handy that you can carry it with you to and from work if need be. It will fit in any average-sized pocket with the size, shape, and weight of any average wallet. It doesn't get heavier as it fills up either (obviously, you might say, but someone I know actually thought it did), and there is no need to plug it in. I guess it works just like any other USB key except you need a USB cable to connect it. Windows will automatically recognize it too so it's basically plug-and-play.

This hard drive is definitely worth the money if you work with large HD video files (like I do) or if you are migrating many files from one computer to another.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've just bought a second 1TB one of these. My previous 1TB one has been going well for a year.

Reviews on here seem to be either "excellent" or "failed", with about 5% in the latter category. As some reviewers have pointed out, HDDs in general are never going to be 100% reliable.

In my life I've had two HDDs fail - a 250Gb 2.5" Western Digital Scorpio Blue in a 4 year old laptop, and a 1TB 3.5" Seagate Barracuda in a desktop - failed after 6 months.

That's the whole point of backups. I do a weekly full disc backup and a daily incremental backup. Both are automated via Acronis 2013. The backup disc is an old WD Green 2TB and is in the desktop case for ease. At random intervals I copy the latest full disc backup to an old 3.5" 2TB Seagate drive in an external caddy. I also have a spare WD 1TB Caviar Blue (bought to use while the Barracuda was being replaced by the vendor). About every 6 months I clone my main HDD to the Caviar Blue.

These drives will fail - I just don't know which ones and when. But I have sufficient backups to ensure that I shouldn't lose too much data. Given that HDD are so large I now keep everything on my main HDD. This means that everything is backed up. Clearly some reviewers have decided to take files from their main PC and store them only on a single external drive. If you do this you need to back up that drive. It appears that some reviewers didn't.

My only risk is a house fire - all my drives are in the same building. But you can't be too paranoid...

I've found this drive to be excellent. Before I bought it I didn't realise just how much easier it would be to use given that it's USB powered. The small size means that it's light-weight and easily portable. I use it almost like a 1TB USB data stick.

If you buy one, or any other HDD, yours might fail. Just make sure that you have two, or more, copies of everything. You'd be very unlucky if your main and backup drives both fail. And don't forget to test your backups.

HDD are getting higher capacity and cheaper. These self-powered 2.5" drives are blindingly easy to use. USB3 speeds are wonderful. There really is no reason not to make regular backups. Multiple backups even, using your old HDDs that are a bit obsolete now you've bought this new one.

You can get these up to 2TB, and 3.5" drives up to 4TB. Despite having some 2TB drives I've now go for 1TB ones, to avoid putting too many eggs (backups) in one basket. For me a 1TB drive will hold about 6 weekly full backups. That's plenty. When full I archive a monthly full backup to another drive. When that's full I just delete the oldest one.
on 25 November 2013
Two months after buying this it is failing on me. I've run the Seagate SeaTools and Microsoft's Checkdisk facility to see if the fault can be identified and fixed but it's looking unlikely. Checkdisk ran for close to 24 hours scanning the drive for errors and trying to recover bad sectors. On finishing it delivered the helpful message that it had "fixed some faults". Unfortunately SeaTools is still reporting that there are serious issues, with the logfile showing the following:
"Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read.
Long Generic - Started 24/11/2013 19:40:16
Bad LBA: 0 Unable to repair
Long Generic - FAIL 24/11/2013 19:41:13
SeaTools Test Code: DACCA1D1"

So, like many other people who have bought this Seagate drive I'm seriously regretting it a short time after it was delivered. Main symptoms are directories on the drive "disappearing" or being inaccessible or the access being painfully slow. Clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer frequently results in Explorer freezing and crashing. I'm now looking into returning the drive to Seagate but they don't seem to be particularly customer friendly. Definitely no more Seagate drives for me. Looks like a significant proportion of these "Made in China" drives are failing which is pretty appalling these days.
on 7 October 2014
Okay, I have only had this for one day but it works perfectly. It does exactly what I need it to do.

Connects to xbox-one through usb port at the back. Well I'll only be able to charge one controller at a time from now on, but who cares?

Chose this size as it seemed to offer best value for money, and for only 100.00 there is now nine times the storage capacity there was yesterday. that has basically future-proofed the console. I doubt I'll run out space anytime soon.

When you first plug it in you need to format it - two options, either using it for games or apps. No prizes for guessing the one I chose, I imagine most people will do the same.

Any new game disc I put in from now on will automatically install onto this new hard drive.

Compatible with usb2.0 and usb3.0 cables. There is usb2.0 in the box, but a 3.0 cable should increase the transfer rate, and save time. I am assuming that.

Edit: after 4 months of use, drive still works perfectly well. I now have 21 games on this drive, and the capacity is at 13.1% used, that is to say 3.1TB remaining. So I should be able to get a total of 75 or 80 games on here altogether. I will most likely run out of physical storage room (cupboard space) before that ever happens.

As newer, bigger games come out, or people increase their collections, i can see every xbox-one owner buying one of these. An absolutely essential purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 July 2013
I bought this not expecting it to be as good as it is. Good storage and easy to use with a mac laptop.
on 29 November 2014
Arrived on time, very well packed. I use it for backup with my iMac. Mac users should note that you will see the drive on your desktop but to write to it you will have to reformat the drive using, Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility > select the Seagate Disc > select Erase > Select Format Mac OS Extended (journaled) > click the Erase button. Your Mac will ask you if you want to use the drive for Time Machine backup and will take you through the simple procedure. I have been using the drive for a month or two, it is very small, unobtrusive, totally silent and only requires USB power.