3,179 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage
Published 15 months ago by JohnBeatle

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac Users please read, 6 Jan. 2014
Paul Clegg "Paul Clegg" (Wells, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate Expansion 1TB USB 3.0 portable 2.5 inch external hard drive (Personal Computers)
This hard drive is not formatted for a Mac but takes less than 30 seconds to achieve this. When I was looking for a Mac formatted portable hard drive to act as a Time Machine for my MacBook Pro I noticed that they cost much more than this one. Seagate is famous for its Hard Drives and at £30 less than a Mac equivalent I decided to order. Feels good, tactile and very quiet but out of the box your Mac will not read it.

You need to follow this link [...] which explains exactly how to format it for the Mac.

How to Erase an internal or external drive that is 500 GB or larger and has already been setup with NTFS

Open the Disk Utility.
Select the drive.
Click Partition.
Under Volume Scheme, choose 1 Partition.
Choose Options.
Choose Apple Partition Map.
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click the Partition button.
The drive will Erase. When it completes, the drive will mount on the Desktop.

Takes less than 30 seconds. Job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 1 May 2013
used for Time Machine back up for my mac, so much smaller than my last external drive I purchased, worked great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and simple to use, 30 Jun. 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For my purposes, this drive is excellent: extremely simple to operate, huge memory capacity and relatively compact and unobtrusive. No doubt there will soon be reviews here which deal expertly with specifications and comparisons. I am just an ordinary computer user who cannot advise on all that, but I hope this review will be helpful to other non-techies who, like me, want reliable and easy-to-use extra memory.

The drive is about the size of a 400-page small-format paperback book. It is quite heavy (about 1kg all told) but would be easy to transport if you needed to. It sits flat and needs to be plugged into the mains. The supplied connecting lead to your computer's USB port is about 1 metre long, so you have some flexibility about where to put it. When switched on it is, to my ears anyway, silent (hurrah!) and has a discreet blue LED to indicate that it is working. In short, it is the compact, unobtrusive drive I was hoping for.

In use it is exceptionally simple. I plugged it into my slightly elderly Windows XP laptop and, as promised, it was automatically recognised by Windows and was ready to use within a few seconds. If you like, you can turn it off at the mains at any time it's not actively in use so it doesn't have to run all the time, and it only takes a couple of seconds to wake up when switched on again. You add files by simply dragging-and-dropping and the transfer speed seems very quick to me (my initial backup of my entire "My Documents" folder, about 14GB, took well under half an hour). Files (like music or photos) run from the drive just as if they were on your internal hard drive and it is easy to copy or move files between the drive and an mp3 player or memory stick. It really is like having a huge internal hard drive.

I am rather nervous about computer technology and have been dithering over whether to get an external drive so that I can convert more of my music collection to digital format. I am thrilled to have received this one. It is small and unobtrusive and does exactly what I want extremely simply. I can recommend it very warmly to the technologically timid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, compact and reliable, 17 July 2012
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Seagate's own product description (above) gives an accurate, no-exaggeration summary of this hard drive and I really can't take any issue at all with the claims they make for it. This is an attractive, pocket-sized, silent and unobtrusive drive that needs no drivers etc and simply works efficiently and without external power (it is powered by the supplied USB cable). In fact it is so discrete in operation the only clue you have it's 'on' is the glow of the LED on the front of the unit. I've heard many times the claim 'it works straight out of the box' but in this case it is perfectly true. Also it's worth noting that it is also USB 3 compatible (but will work with 1 and 2 also) so it is future-proofed too. Finally Seagate are a brand to be trusted in data-storage products so there is peace of mind there also. A quality product at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open it up for a 2TB HDD that will work in PS4, 24 Aug. 2014
T. Gittings (UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant drive, but whats even better is if you pop open the case, the HDD inside is an ST2000LM003 which fits in a PLAYSTATION 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac time machine backup, 2 Dec. 2012
Purchased this hard drive to use as a 'time machine' backup for my iMac; very good for the price. Worked straight out of the box. The Mac reformatted it, but that didn't cause any problems and easy enough to do if you follow the onscreen prompts. Generally runs quietly. Future-proof as it has USB 3.0. Overall very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage, 6 Nov. 2013
I purchased this product in July 2013, delivery was prompt and the drive worked really well for the best part of 4 months. I primarily used this product as a add storage drive for my DD-WRT router. Last week, I tried to access a file over my network and got no response. I checked the drive - dead no LED... powered the drive down/up still dead.. Being an electronics design engineer, I got my fluke volt meter out and measured the voltage from the AC to 12V DC adapter. This measured OK at 12Volts... so definitely, something within the hardware was dead and not the AC mains adapter...

Although the product was technically still under warranty, I could have just sent it back for a replacement. I guess because this drive held all my personal photos and files, I didn't want the drive to leave my house! I felt competent enough to go fault find the PCB board myself.

Found the fault in no time - There is a component on the SATA to USB board (ASM 1053) that converts the 12V DC to 5VDC.
(Techie term for this is a DCtoDC convertor or switcher). This IC or a component around it had failed as there was no 5Volts present on the board.

Dropped Seagate an email telling them that their board had failed. They replied to basically say I had voided my warranty as I attempted to repair it myself . OK fair enough I did... and I deserve to be punished! .but I also asked them whether they could just sell me a replacement board..they said no...

For a company that big, I would have thought their after sales would be a bit more helpful - Note - I even offered to PAY for a replacement board!! I am sure I am not the first customer to which this has happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I purchased a Inateck USB3.0 docking station from Amazon and was able to recover all my data from the drive no problem.

To conclude, the STBV2000200 2TB works, but if you were to suffer a hardware failure your options are to return the drive if still under warranty or do what I did and buy a third party docking station.

I am certainly put off purchasing a Seagate product again...Customer service not good in this instance.

Hope my review was helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quiet, fast and great value, 16 Jan. 2014
When attached to a USB3 connection the unit is very fast indeed. I also found it quiet. I now have two with one sat atop the other for backups, Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best external hard-drive I've ever had - and there's been a few!!, 25 Jan. 2014
Having had a plethora of WD drives that have eventually failed or become so temperamental that they couldn't be trusted, convinced each time that I was unlucky, I eventually saw sense and strayed away from WD as a 'good quality' manufacturer - it was the best decision I've ever made. When you computer fails it is damn annoying; however, when you hard drive fails it's heartbreaking if you haven't thought to double backup....and here's a tip, buying an external hard drive as a backup, without storing your valuable files on two devices, isn't a backup at all - take it from my hard-learned experience!

I now have 2 of these drives, one 3TB and one 2TB, both are incredibly reliable, relatively quiet and vibration-free and reasonably small (a thick paperback size - not exactly portable however). Transfer rates across USB3.0 are incredible, with ~100MB/s from PC to ExtHDD and an amazing 160MB/s from ExtHDD to ExtHDD (via the PC) - backing up the entire 1.8TB contents of the 3TB drive onto the new 2TB drive took less than an evening left to itself. The ExtHDD has only unmounted itself (something other ExtHDDs do with excruciating frequency for some inexplicable reason) once during the workout that it has had since arriving with me 2 days ago.

Overall, seriously impressed with these drives...if they get anywhere near the reliability of my Buffalo NAS then I'll be seriously impressed - I am, once again, reassured that my files are safe and sound...and ~£60 for 2TB is a small price to pay for that peace of mind!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disconnects itself, 23 Jan. 2014
As has been mentioned in several of the 1 star reviews, the hard drive regularly disconnects and then reconnects itself for no apparent reason; meaning that if you are transferring data, you'll end up with missing files or parts of files. When I attempted to transfer the contents of my previous WD 1tb hard drive to this one, I had 3 attempts, the hard drive must have disconnected itself more than 40 times during the 6 hour period meaning that by the end of the transfer, 25 files were missing. I attempted downloading SeaTools and setting 'sleep time' to never, I also made sure my own settings were correct but as my current WD hard drive has never had any of these issues, I doubt it could be that. There are multiple posts on Seagates own forums relating to this issue, with Seagate apparently having no fix for it. I have been forced to return it to Amazon and order the larger version of my current WD.