5.0 out of 5 stars Thelma at her best - before Disco!
Published on 13 Dec. 2012 by Vernal Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THELMAS BEST WORK
THERE IS AN OVERWHELMING FEELING OF CHRISTIAN BELIEFS ON THIS ALBUM THAT I DONT CARE FOR AT ALL.IN MY OPINION NEVER REACHED THE HIGHTS OF HER SUNSHOWER ALBUM
Published 16 months ago by CENTRAL LONDON MAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Thelma at her best - before Disco!, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to find the original vinyl of this excellent work in the bargain basement of a shop in London's Oxford Street. It was the late 70s and at the time I was only aware of Thelma's disco material, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I gave the cashier my £1 and took my unexpected find home not knowing what to expect. The singer's astounding voice could do no wrong as far as my ears were concerned, so I was willing to take a chance and part with my precious pocket money; it turned out to be money well spent.

Of course, there's no disco material here, just Thelma's blisterig talent showcased to perfection by compelling love songs. SoulMusic.com (David Nathan and co) has done a first class job in bringing this album to CD, together with its many bonus tracks! Highlights for me include: I'm Letting Go, There's No Such Thing As Love, And I Never Did, No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever, I Ain't That Easy To Lose, and I Want To Go Back There Again. But the other tracks are just as good and will grow in appeal over time.

I was lucky enough to meet Thelma in 2009 at London's very popular Jazz Cafe in Camden Town. She was part of a 'Divas of Motown' evening, featuring Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark, and the latest fabulous line-up of the Supremes. We didn't need Diana to make it an awesome evening. Thelma stole the show, in my view, and the lovely lady was gracious in conversation after her performance. As well as the hits, her set included the original version of Do You Know Where You're Going To. It was a one-off night to remember, forever, just brilliant! The DJ (Simon White) on the night jokingly referred to Thelma as "the Disco Queen" as he played some of non-Motown dance hits for the crowd. Many of us chuckled because we all knew the truth; Thelma Houston is more than Don't Leave Me This Way and the related genre.

Whether dance music or soulful ballads, the name Thelma Houston belongs in the same sentence as Aretha, Tina, Gladys, Gloria and Donna. You'll soon discover that this is the CD that has always been missing from your collection. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars looking, 26 Jan. 2013
P. Budworth "mrptb1" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
From Thelma's pre disco-diva days. A voice in search of songs and direction. Some tracks work better than others but the bonus cuts make it well worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
Having listened and liked her Sunshower album, I was curious about this one - so curious that in fact I ordered the old LP first. Even in comparison to the vinyl edition, this CD is simply superb both in sound and quality. Alan Wilson has yet again worked a miracle in his studio - a real gem for audiophiles.
To be sincere, I don't care for disco sounds, I love soul sung from the heart and that's what Thelma does. There are different influences in the song-writing, amongst which are a bit of country, gospel and folk but it still is soul to the core. A brilliant album, which I have played over and over again ever since. Strongly recommended if you like that post-Motown, pre-disco sound of the early 70s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
Pure Quality ! Not sure what to expect, but, truly blown away by the vocals & the musicians on this fine lp.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THELMAS BEST WORK, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)

Mowest Album (Expanded Edition)
Mowest Album (Expanded Edition) by Thelma Houston (Audio CD - 2015)
Click for more info