5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on meditation I have found
Published on 7 July 2000 by S. H. O. Moss

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift
This was purchased as a Christmas gift and has proved helpful for a start to understand the philosophy. Reccomend for a read
Published 19 months ago by Julia Mingay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on meditation I have found, 7 July 2000
S. H. O. Moss "vajrapriya" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Paramananda's book is so special because it is suitable for complete beginners to meditation, but it remains an inspiration to me after 8 years of meditating. He manages to blend simple description of technique (which is soon remembered) with subtle pointers and indications which are so easily forgotten as one ploughs on with a meditation practice. I know many people who have read this book, and don't know of a single one who has been disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - buy it...., 13 Sep 2006
I think this is a great meditation book, for beginners and others. Its style is very emotive, almost poetic at times; this contrasts favourably with the dry, utilitarian attitude of other meditation books I've reviewed.

Far from making it subjective, Paramananda's way of writing is very inspiring, and one feels welcomed into the world of meditation. He manages to emphasise open-mindedness and kindness to oneself rather than a narrow, results-driven approach.

Meditation experiences are really impossible, ultimately, to describe in words, but Paramananda manages to give the reader a feel for what it's all about that should be sufficient to take one's practice a considerable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change Your Mind: Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation, 5 April 2008
This book is elegantly and beautifully written. I don't remember ever enjoying reading a book so much. There is a depth and intimacy to Paramananda's writing which will carry over into your meditation practice. Many writers compose meditation guides in a dry, predictable, boring style that, after a few chapters, can make me yawn and feel tired with the practice before I've even tried it! I will want to keep this book for a lifetime. This book brings the process of meditation well and truly alive and has been hugely inspirational for me. If I were to be reborn and wanted just one book from my past life to guide me it would be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellently written and uplifiting book, 14 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This book is so simple, and so elegant. It introduces the basic principles of meditation in such a clear manner, but I also found it interesting, uplifting and enjoyable to read. Even if you are not really interested in either buddhism or meditation, this book is far more useful than 90% of those cloying "self-help" manuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've found so far on meditation, 29 July 2010
Straightforward, clear, lucid and very very informative. If you want a list of many different meditations to do, go elsewhere. If you want to learn how to start becoming a good mediatator and find out what meditation can do for you, buy this.

I've tried to get into various forms of meditation for about two years but have found the various books I've purchased to be largely unhelpful. If you don't knoww after reading this book why you should meditate and how you can start; give up, it's not for you. I am very, very pleased to have found this book, may it all go on from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best text on meditation I have read, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Change Your Mind: Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Kindle Edition)
This, and Mathieu Ricard's "The art happiness" are the best introductions to Buddhist meditation I have read. This book is full of both practical and theoretical material that can form the basis of a sound meditation practice. The author is a lover of poetry; this is reflected in his beautiful writing style. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 23 April 2014
This is my fourth copy. I have lent it out and never had it given back. It really did 'Change my Mind' and I shall be ever grateful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 28 Mar 2014
This is a straightforward and practical book that gives you what you need to unclutter your mind and respond to life in a more measured and enlightened way. The fact that it is written so clearly and is not too long means that you can quickly start using the meditations suggested. I have meditated for years using the breath, which is one of the suggestions, and can attest that it is a wonderful way to clear the mind. But the meditation that radiates love out into the world is much more challenging. It is worth persevering with this if we want the world to be a happier and more sensible place to live, which it's not at present. A great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 15 Mar 2014
sandra "granny taylor" (holt, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just what I was looking for, still reading it, little-by little day by day. Not too heavy a read either

5.0 out of 5 stars The simplest guide to meditation, 9 Jun 2013
I agree with other reviewers that this is a wonderful book. It is an incredibly simple book and the perfect guide for beginners who wish to "change" their mind to obtain peace and tranquillity in life. I used to read a few pages every day and sometimes I read the same pages over and over again. Each time,I picked up sections of the book that I liked, depending on my needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›