on 14 June 2013
Ok, I fully accept that it is my fault for not checking beforehand, but it came as a surprise to me when I discovered that the MBPR that I purchased didn't have a Kensington slot. The reason, apparently, is due to there not being sufficient physical space within the aluminium frame to fit one. To my mind this is somewhat akin to finding out that a car you've purchased doesn't have any door locks because the designers chose to omit them in order to save weight and keep the lines of the car clean.

I appreciate that the MBPR and Apple products in general are meant to be all about the looks and the engineering but, if you ever happen to be reading this Mr Ives, there has to be a sensible limit to how far you go in some areas. Perhaps at Apple headquarters in Cupertino it's always safe to leave your expensive laptop unattended and physically unsecured when you pop to the toilet or out for a sandwich but I don't always work in such an environment.

Anyway, rant over, on to the review.

I wouldn't say that my research was exhaustive, but I did look into a number of other products - including the, ahem, plastic case and latest Retina lock from Maclocks - and decided that I didn't want to increase the weight of the MBPR or have to remove/fix screws or otherwise mess around with the construction of the MBPR. This lead me to choosing the PNY ThinkSafe as being the least intrusive option for deterring an *opportunist* thief. I put the emphasis on opportunist because none of the products that I looked (including the PNY ThinkSafe) will stop a determined and prepared thief with the time or brazenness to take your laptop.

First impressions are good. The PNY ThinkSafe comes in a box with a carry case, 2 styles of bracket (one for a MB Air and one for an MBP) and an adaptor for a normal Kensington slot as well. It all looks well constructed and of good quality.

The brackets are, at the end of the day, just a strip of stainless steel that hooks through the gap in the hinge at the back of your Macbook. They have a near 90 degree bend near one end and a slot for the combination lock at the other end. The near 90 degree bend is what the bracket relies upon to secure your laptop as you cannot manoeuvre the 90 degree bend through the laptop hinge.

Whilst the PNY ThinkSafe is not made of heavy gauge stainless steel - it is perhaps 0.5 - 0.75mm thick, similar to the gauge of steel you'd find on the jaws of a bulldog clip - I am reasonably certain that it would be extremely difficult to bend it sufficiently enough to remove it using just your fingers and the available leverage from pushing against the frame of the laptop. You'd need a pair or pliers to remove it with any degree of ease.

The custom combination lock that is supplied loops through the slot is larger than your average Kensington lock but not overly so. When fitted, the proximity of the combination lock to the lid of the laptop does prevent you from leaning the screen all the way back but I don't have my screen leaning way back anyway and neither do most other people in my experience unless they are keen on seeing reflected ceiling lighting! With regards to closing the lid of the MBPR, you cannot close the lid completely when the lock is fitted but you can close it to the point that the machine goes to sleep - around a gap of 1cm. To prevent someone in your absence trying to be helpful by pushing it further closed and possibly damaging the hinge you'd need to put a piece of rubber or such on the leading edge of the keyboard.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase of the PNY ThinkSafe; the very presence of it will deter some opportunists and other unprepared thieves would, at the very least, be delayed for a good while as they set to the task of bending it; hopefully long enough for me to get back and confront them. A determined, prepared thief with a pair of pliers could probably flatten the angled hinge in a matter of seconds and walk away without attracting too much attention.

So, all in all, a well spent £15-odd in my opinion.
on 27 August 2014
I got this product for my macbook pro retina, and the metal piece that goes through the mbpr lid hinge passes through it easily. The piece that stays on the inside keeps dangerously touching the screen though, specially with the weight of the huge, bulgy pny lock. After bending that metal piece, the problem was solved. However, I'm still aware that it'd be quite easy for this thing to scratch/chip my screen if I'm not careful. I'll put on some soft adhesive cloth tape around the metal to avoid that.

I was planning not to use the pny lock, but just attach my old kensington lock to the metal piece that goes through the hinge, but the slot isn't big enough for that. So I had to stick to the pny lock. That is almost okay, but a bigger problem is that the combination CANNOT BE CHANGED. That is a huge problem, and I bought this lock assuming that I'd be able to put whatever combination I liked, which seemed obvious to me. Finally, the cable is way thinner than the usual kensington cable, so I wonder if a pair of regular scissors wouldn't be able to cut through it. I'll try to enlarge the slot size of the metal piece to fit the kensington cable through it.
on 23 March 2015
It does what it advertises, it gives an ability to tie down your MacBook despite the lack of a kensington security slot. However it's not perfect. I've got a late 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina and the attachment that passes through the hinge does fit but it restricts the positioning of the sceen and I'm not confident about closing the laptop while the attachment is in place out of fear of scratching my screen. I can push my sceen back a bit past a 90 degrees position, but then the attachment starts to be put under pressure. This may be alleviated by removing the protective cover on the back of the MacBook's lid but I don't want to risk losing it.

Overall I'm satisfied, but it'd be great if there was some flexible, plastic-y material (that's resistant to scissors) which could be used to make the part of the attachment that passes through the hinge, as then I could use the laptop freely without worrying about stressing the hinge when I puch the screen back.
on 8 June 2014
Locks my MacBook (Pro retina display) well, could probably be defeated with a pair of pliers and some commitment. The lock is a bit bulky and a bit of a pain to set up but that's what happens when Apple get rid of the locking slot!
on 24 August 2015
The new MacBook Pro Retina computers do lack the Kensington Lock slot for securing the laptop at an exhibition, this is the most elegant and unimposing option I found. It will certainly stop someone just walking off with your computer when you weren't looking.
on 2 January 2016
Happy with the ease of set up. Don't know (would have to be convinced) if it would deter a would be thief but hopefully I won't encounter this problem!
on 10 February 2014
I sympathise with PNY on this as unfortunately current MacBook Airs are designed with such tiny tolerances that the device just will not fit.

The PNY lock uses a very thin metal plate that is supposed to slide through the hinge between the monitor and computer. Unfortunately this does't work with the latest laptops as the space is just too small - I was not able to use it and have since returned the lock.

Given the evolution of apple laptops it would be best to mark the compatibility with the Air range as "No" in the product description.
on 5 March 2015
Good quality but NOT working with Macbook Air 2014!
on 30 June 2015
Discrete and efficient !
on 28 December 2013
I would expect a lock to work, and not my 70 year old dad break the code in 2 minutes.

you can't even change the code, so somebody can play with it while it's not attached, remember the code, and know it always.

I have a 5$ combination lock with 4 dials for my pc to which we have not been able to crack without turning the dials one by one.

3 Dials is crap.
Can't close the lid with the lock on.
Pointless piece of crap for a mobile solution.