on 7 July 2014
I put this in a new desktop system I built. I was torn between this, a Samsung and a Crucial drive, but ended up choosing this due to price. It was very easy to install, and I found it hard to believe how small and light this was, which is good news if you're using it in a laptop. It's thinner than a 2.5" HDD, but it did come with a stick on adapter to allow it to mount in my 2.5" HDD bays without a problem.

I installed Windows 8.1 onto it. I'm very happy with how quickly it loads up, around 15 seconds from physically pressing the switch to arriving at the Windows login screen (and most of that time seems to be taken up by the computers POST routine), and the login to the desktop is fairly instant from there. This is much quicker than any HDD. Similarly with 256 Gb there's plenty of room to install your programs, and they load up very quickly too.

I did very little in the way of special tweaks to the operating system for SSD use. Windows 8.1 is well optimised for running off SSD's and should set itself up with the right settings. You just want to make sure that the SATA controller is in AHCI mode for best performance, and that TRIM is enabled. I just moved my documents, videos and music folders etc. over to my secondary hard disk.
on 20 January 2014
Bought to replace my laptops hdd which had gone bust after a number of years use. The Sandisk simply went into the holder for the old 2.5" hdd - simple. Re-installing Windows proved to be easier than I thought (I had no backup!) - I downloaded an ISO image of Windows 8 on to USB stick, changed startup settings in BIOS to startup from USB, proceeded to install Windows 8 with my already-purchased product key, once finished it was important to change the startup in BIOS again to startup from your new hdd (easy to forget!) and then you should be all good to go. As for the hdd performance, i'm very happy. Bootup time is very quick about 7 secs, and it's noticeable the increase in response time when opening up programs/files&folders etc. Now I don't use my laptop for anything really heavy (3D gaming etc.) so I can't comment in that regard, but for my own needs it's perfectly adequate and definitely an improvement over my old hdd. I hope this review can be of help to some
on 22 August 2013
I have a number of SSD's and tried this one for an old laptop, where I could not justify the price of a device that the magazines said was the highest performer.

This SSD worked well and has been trouble free since installation over a month ago. Boot times with Windows 7 are very fast and applications load and run instantly, although I don't play games (large application). It is difficult to cost justify a higher price card (for my needs), when this SSD gives me the real world performance I need. It may be that other SSD's have a slightly better performance in tests, but maybe most people don't need that, but benefit from the good value this SSD offers.

Please be aware this SSD does not come with software to move your Hard Disk image across. Maybe there is a kit version. Personally I purchased Acronis from their website and it went very smoothly.
on 31 October 2014
After reading how these can improve your laptop speed I put this in a 3 year old laptop. The old hard disk was larger. As it does not come with software I transferred the data from the old hard disk via Macrium reflect free cloning software. Since the old disk did have less programs and data on it than the new size SSD the cloning went okay. It even cloned the original backup/reinstall partition which came with the computer and was at the beginning of the disk. Never done this before but it was intuitive enough for me to follow and everything went okay. I have a smaller disk (but don't need this space on my laptop) but the computer is now really quick. This has saved me buying a new one for now as it was really only the speed that was bugging me. It's just I now have a disk lying around but I think overall it was worth it.
on 28 May 2014
I purchased this SSD for a new desktop PC that I was building. I reviewed performance vs cost and this SSD seemed to come out top. I am very pleased with the performance and fitting/setting up was very easy. Overall I am very pleased with this product.
on 9 April 2014
I cloned the original C: drive onto the SSD and made the new disk a bootable drive. Once I'd worked out (Remembered) how to do that it just booted up as normal but much faster. This windows 7 machine can now do a full restart back to the login screen in about 40 seconds. Things like browsers, Word, Excel and even Itunes open virtually instantly now. My Photoshop and Lightroom does not load instantly, but is a lot faster and the whole thing just feels smoother.

Do the clone option if you are reasonably ok with how the PC works and making the disk bootable after cloning. I used to fit this criteria but it's been a while so I was OK with some assistance from Google and Youtube. The simple option is to just re-install the OS and apps onto the new drive.
on 17 May 2014
I purchased this drive in an attempt at giving my old, and seldom used, Samsung N140 netbook a new lease of life.

I was not disappointed.

My N140 previously ran Windows XP and Ubuntu. Following the recent end of support for XP, I decided to solely install Ubuntu onto this SSD.

There is a marked increase in the speed of most functions. For example, the boot up process takes approximately 20 seconds with the SSD, and was over a minute with the old hard drive. Applications load very quickly too. Moreover, the battery lasts at least 25% longer than it did with the old hard drive.

Following this upgrade my netbook now has some use again!
on 12 January 2014
I decided to treat my computer (i.e. myself!) to this for Christmas. At about 40p/GB this is about the cheapest you can get for an SSD. I just plugged it in and used Macrium Reflect Free to clone my Windows 7 installation. So far it has worked fine and reduced the boot time to a few seconds. I imagine Windows 8 would be almost instantaneous! Although it's not rated as quite the fastest SSD around, for what I wanted it for the slight difference in speed makes no odds compared to the relatively low price, so I am very happy with it provided it gives a reasonable service life and does not slow down as some are reputed to do. I imagine in about 3 years it will be obsolete anyway.
on 1 October 2013
If your looking to buy a SSD you are probably aware of the performance benefits that come along with doing so. I can vouch for this, and would highly recommend to anyone! The computing experience is transformed by the ease at which programmes open, close and the silent operation is the icing on the cake. Sandisk are a decent brand and the firmware came bang up to date, an update for which can be found on their website. One thing worth noting is that you should change the default SATA setting within your BIOS to 'ACHI' mode, before installing windows (or other OS) onto the SSD. A quick google should confirm this and other handy pointers to optimise your SSD operation.
on 2 August 2013
Amazing!! Turned my 6 year old computer in to a monster...well imo!! I can boot up and get into my windows log in screen within 30 seconds. I predominantly have installed my OS and then Photoshop and Lightroom. With the SSD installed, the software seems to work instantly rather than having to wait 10-20 seconds before each photo editing action! Amazing and for the value it simply revives a old dying PC!