5.0 out of 5 stars Squeezebox fans - don't dispair!
First a disclaimer: I've never used this as a UE radio.

I have a Squeezebox touch which I love, and I was so disappointed when Logitech discontinued the Squeezebox range. I resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to add a second Squeezebox music play to my network, and would only be able to listen to my music collection in one room...
Published 12 months ago by M. Thompson

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, versatile, internet radio but with a couple of issues
This is one of the most impressive internet radios I've seen reflecting its part of Logitech's growing UE premium brand. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone looking to buy an internet radio. Specific advantages include:

1. Very easy set up. Simply turn it on and connect to your wireless network (for which you're need the name of the network and password)...
Published on 15 Oct. 2012 by Dr. Paul Ell

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech UE Smart Radio, 25 Sept. 2012
Mrs V (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
IN THE BOX (beside the radio)
Power adapter with option of 2 or 3 pin attachments
3.5mm audio cable
`Quick Start' booklet in English, Deutsch, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Nederland, Svenska, Dansk, Norsk and Suomi

I am not making comparisons between the Logitech UE and any other smart radio in this review as this is my first wifi radio experience. On opening the box/handling the product I was delighted with the look and sturdy build quality of such a compact footprint radio - it's size (cm approx 22W x 9D x 13H) belies its hefty weight. Looks modern and streamline with a split face of black gloss/material and curved gloss back which incorporates a carry handle with the sound being surprisingly loud and clear for something so compact. Fortunately when I took it out of the box and removed the battery tab protector my router was on, as the radio immediately began trying to connect and less than a minute later after entering my password and flicking the dial I was listening to wifi radio before I'd even had chance to look at the guide!

I then went onto Logitech's website (as directed in the Guide) and created an account (just email address/password needed), where my radio was immediately found, an automatic update done and then it switched itself back to the station I was listening to. There are a lot of music services available once you register and you can alter your radio settings here ie buffering ratio, alarms etc. You can also download free streaming software if you want to listen to your pc/mac music through your radio (MAC OS X 10.5-10.8 or Win XP/ 2003/2008 Vista 7/8). Finally I downloaded the UE App for my smartphone which I have found very intuitive to use and it works well on both my Galaxy Note and Tab. So overall a very pleasant half hour spent getting used to my radio which doesn't seem to have any problems locating the router whichever room I take it to. Definitely happy to recommend to first time users for ease of use/set up - the reason for 4 stars is without anything to compare it to I cannot justify 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's replace Squeezebox with something not as good!, 15 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
Oh dear Logitech - classic example of big company ineptitude meaning they don't know a good thing when they have it. The UE stands for Ultimate Ears - also owned by Logitech - in case you wondered..

So they kill of Squeezebox (SB) and replace with...something that looks just like a Squeezebox radio - just not as good. It's not made clear but this model needs a permanent active Internet connection. Yes, even to play the local music stored on your home computers - how is this an improvement over the old Squeezebox radio's still available at cheaper prices?

Smart Radio won't be able to sync playback with any of the former Squeezebox devices - despite looking identical - they give you an option to update Squeezebox radio's to this new platform BUT then you will need a permanent internet connection for these as well and they will no longer be compatible with any remaining Squeezeboxes you may have! And once you have converted you cannot go back so do this with caution.

Yes Squeezeboxes were not quite perfect and this may well contain some improvements over the old models in terms of operation : it's supposed to be much easier to use than the Squeezebox, UE Media Server setup is easier than the old Logitech clunky Media server, the battery pack now included - rather than a separate item to buy is an improvement.

But after 3 years in the making they release an item almost identical to the old SB Radio with hardly any improvements, lots of disadvantages and do not try to bring existing loyal SB customers with them. Logitech state "for now the Squeezebox platform will continue to operate as it has" ...but to expect a hardcore fanbase to ditch old equipment (no replacement for the wonderful Touch) shows ineptitude at the highest levels.

Why not make the improvements to the media servers to all existing SB and make this item totally compatible - thus building on the uniqueness of the SB rather than killing it off with something that looks so similar. Sadly Logitech seem to have had no idea how to market what is still a unique product and instead release this - which will be a sad epitaph to a once great product range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a good internet radio which can play music from you nas ..., 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
Its a good internet radio which can play music from you nas without the need for a tablet or phone.
sound quality is good.
I have 2 which are synced to play together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Internet Radio No NAS/DLNA - PC Running Software Only For Music Library!, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
I bought this radio hoping I could stream music via DLNA/NAS Hard Drive. As per usual the device needs you do run your PC with Logitech UE software to act as a server.

So to listen to my stored music I have to run:

1. Desktop PC
2. NAS Hard Drive
3. Smart Radio

I Should have bought a laptop with good speakers running iTunes, this would of cost me less in electricity.

Streaming media has been around for years and still nobody seems to want to support it. I DONT WANT TO KEEP MY PC ON TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 12 Sept. 2013
A real quality item, feels good to the touch and heavy in the hand. Genuinely rechargeable in that it has its own built-in battery pack and charger instead of using rechargeable batteries. That means it's properly portable around the house and elsewhere as long as you're in range of wifi.

Easy to set up and use, has apps available so you can control from iPod.

Oh, and the sound quality is amazing for such a small unit - deep bass tones and capable of pumping out a decent volume too.

I loved my first one so much, I now have two!

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality product, 24 Sept. 2012
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a DAB radio in my kitchen, bought when DAB was the next big thing. Now DAB is dead, and the future is internet radio. So it was with some interest that I opened this radio.

It is heavier than you would expect, but it feels reassuringly sold, and the buttons and dials have a build quality to them that is very nice. Set up could not be easier - plug in the recharging cable, pull out a tab in the battery compartment and it comes on and looks for your wifi network. Navigation is very simple and intuitive, as is programming preset stations. And the sound quality is good, too. I have a Roberts DAB at the moment, and the sound on this Logitech is definitely superior. it has a richness to it, and you can turn it all the way up with no distortion

I like the ease of use. I also love the fact that it is rechargeable - you can put it anywhere and not worry about where the plugs or cables are. Although it's not exactly portable as you obviously need to be in range of wifi (the downside of internet radio). Including a rechargeable battery is such an obvious idea, but it's also a really good one. You can use it as a speaker for your iphone, ipod or any other phone, too. It takes a line in (from the device headphone socket, and a 3.5 to 3.5 cable is helpfully included).

Sounds great, doesn't it?

The downsides, then. Three that occur to me, and two of those are nothing to do with this product. 1) if you are going to listen to the radio a lot, better if you are on an unlimited download broadband deal 2) I don't know what happens if you are on one of the broadband companies that experiences slowdowns. Radio doesn't use much bandwidth compared to video, but it will use it, so be prepared.

The third downside, for me at least, comes in terms of the design. I don't like the volume dial. it's too small, too peripheral. I was going to knock a star off for the big dial being for tuning, but my wife says that most people would expect the biggest dial to be for tuning on a radio, which shows how much I know! But volume dial isn't right. And that sounds a niggly thing, which it is, but I'd still prefer it to be more obvious and important looking.

So five stars it is. Internet radios do have downsides - they are not perfect and will cost you bandwidth - but that's not this Logitech's fault. It seems like a really nice bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best Internet radio, 15 Oct. 2012
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
ULTIMATE EARS RADIO
===================
The UE Smart Radio comes equipped with 802.11b/g WiFi integrated to pull audio from directly from the likes of Spotify or from gadgets in the home such as PC, Mac or even your phone.

It has a lovely 2.4-inch LCD on the front, with six preset buttons.

RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
===================
What I like about this gadget is it comes with a rechargeable battery, which did last for the claimed six hours of playback. Many radios have a lower price but the additional essential battery often bump the price up by £30-£40.

IPHONE OR iTOUCH OR IPAD REMOTE CONTROL
=======================================
There's a free application which allows you to control the radio from the comfort of your couch. It's simple and easy to set up. I liked this, responsive and not at all sluggish.

SETUP
=====
Out of the box it was set-up and playing French radio within 5 minutes. Oh la la. African stations to Australian stations galore. I had mastered the machine within 30 minutes.

SOUND
=====
I normally play internet radio through my phone, on a bose dock. This has a comparable sound. A real rich, solid sound that I couldn't fault.

OVERALL
=======
It looks lovely, has a superb gloss finish and is extremely easy to use. Fantastic sound and plenty of choice in radio stations. I like the link up with all my sources of music. I didn't have a squeezebox so don't know if this is a better upgrade or sideways move. It's a lovely piece of kit that should be on your Xmas list.

It is Good value, Very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Shame that production is discontinued, 14 Aug. 2014
Excellent product.
Shame that production is discontinued.

2.0 out of 5 stars BUT as delivered, impossible to connect to WiFi, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
Brand new, out of box, it detected my WiFi network. OK so far.

It then asked for the password. Oh dear - only offered A to F and numbers - so it is impossible to put it in.

Phoned support who said you have to put in the password in HEXADECIMAL. But does it tell you this anywhere? NO. (Support even admitted they have had lots of phone calls about this already!)

So converted to HEX. 13 Aphanumberic digits converts to 26 HEX characters. But it kept saying it could not connect. Found it was trying with only the first 25 characters !!!!!

Phoned support again. They suggested I needed to change the password to something the Smart Radio would accept! That would mean I would have to change the password in all my other devices. No way. Then got cut off because they were going home at the end of their day - so I was left in the lurch.

So to try to get online help I connected the Smart Radio via ethernet cable. It immediately and automatically downloaded a complete update of firmware.

It now accepted all 26 characters of the WiFi password and connected OK.

======================================

I am pretty disgusted that it was not shipped with firmware that worked.

I am even more disgusted that you have to put in the WiFi password in HEX but nowhere are you told of this! Why ever does it not accept an Alphanumberic password like all my other devices! Stupid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it's supposed to., 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
Can't fault this internet radio.
I had a Revo axis xs before this which I had to send back because it was constantly rebooting and the radio had to be virtually next to the wireless router to pick a signal.
The Logitech UE Smart radio is so much better, it picks up the wireless router no matter which room I'm in, it sounds great for such a small unit, it has a rechargeable battery so it doesn't need to be plugged into the mains all the time and also has a free app from which you can control the radio.
It doesn't do as much as the Revo axis xs but what it does do, it does so much better.

Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black