on 24 August 2013
I bought this to replace my old faithful Pure Internet clock radio that was struggling to pick up a WiFi signal.
The Logitech looks and sounds great, and the colour screen is a nice touch. The Alarm can be set on/off for different days of the week, so I don't need to remember to turn it off on Friday and Saturday morning (weekdays on the Pure were fixed Monday to Friday). Finding stations and podcasts are really easy, just like the TuneIn radio app on my iPad and Blackberry.
Having illuminated buttons would be nice for setting in the dark, and I miss the preset alarm buttons on the Pure.
But other than those little niggles the Logitech is as good as I had hoped for.
on 16 July 2014
If you are going to use this for streaming your own music as well as internet radio - beware! You will soon run into bugs in the firmware/server app, and not just little irritations, but features that just don't work (random play from multiple genres) and various parts of the system hanging for no apparent reason and requiring reboots. You find yourself pressing buttons cautiously trying not to confuse the thing. It smacks of poor code and poor testing and the tech support makes you feel like it's an abandoned product with no hope of getting sorted - I never heard from them again after sending the sample files they requested. Shame because when it works it's really excellent.
on 1 December 2014
Just taken delivery of this and I can say it is everything I hoped it to would be. It is a simple to use internet radio and once I switched to Squeezebox mode, it integrated with my existing systems and synchronized with any/all of my other 3 Squeezebox units and the Squeeze Server which I've been using since before Logitech bought the system from Slim Devices.
I can't really comment on the UE system as I only kept it for an hour except to say that what I saw was very easy to use but I didn't need a second incompatible server to run along side my existing system.
Thank you Logitech for allowing the use of this 'legacy' system on your shiny new UE platform.
on 28 October 2015
Had this radio for about two years now. Looks good, sounds good. Reliability awful.
I've lost count of the number of times I've had to do a factory reset (involving removing and disconnecting the re-chargeable battery pack) to re-establish the wi-fi connection.
This morning, this did not work so I even connected it directly to my router with an ethernet cable - still nothing.

Time to move on to something else, probably the Roberts Stream93i.

At the time this seemed to be the best device around. Probably this product is discontinued now but even so, my advice is look elsewhere.
on 30 August 2014
I have two of these are they are great. Get one now while you can.
The sound is clear and has very good bass for such a small box. Switching on I was online within 2 minutes. It's very easy to scan and join a network. There are thousands of stations and I wish there were more than 6 memories. I had a Tangent Quattro Mk1 before but it went pop so I had to look around for a replacement. This fitted the bill, was a good price ( since increased) and was delivered earlier than estimated.
on 14 March 2014
This kind of works but needs a pc to be turned on for it to work due to needing ue media server running. Rubbish if like me you have all of your files on a nas drive that everything else in the house can access without the need for a pc being turned on.
on 21 April 2013
I have a Ministry of Sound Internet radio, and I have been trying to find something approaching the same quality. I've tried quite a few of the better known brands, but am amazed at the poor quality and wonder how anyone invested the money to produce them and why anybody keeps them!
But at last I have an internet radio that I am delighted with! As it has inbuilt battery, you can simply pick it up if you are leaving the room and want to continue listening!
Although only mono, the sound is really good. It is a breeze to set up and really only needs your wi-fi code and it is running.
If you are hesitating, don't. This is an excellent internet radio that unlike others, is so easy to use.
The only down side is it only has 6 pre-sets to remember your stations, BUT, it does has a 'Favourite' option which remembers any stations you have selected.
on 15 September 2012
Oh dear Logitech - classic example of big company ineptitude meaning they don't know a good thing when they have it. The UE stands for Ultimate Ears - also owned by Logitech - in case you wondered..

So they kill of Squeezebox (SB) and replace with...something that looks just like a Squeezebox radio - just not as good. It's not made clear but this model needs a permanent active Internet connection. Yes, even to play the local music stored on your home computers - how is this an improvement over the old Squeezebox radio's still available at cheaper prices?

Smart Radio won't be able to sync playback with any of the former Squeezebox devices - despite looking identical - they give you an option to update Squeezebox radio's to this new platform BUT then you will need a permanent internet connection for these as well and they will no longer be compatible with any remaining Squeezeboxes you may have! And once you have converted you cannot go back so do this with caution.

Yes Squeezeboxes were not quite perfect and this may well contain some improvements over the old models in terms of operation : it's supposed to be much easier to use than the Squeezebox, UE Media Server setup is easier than the old Logitech clunky Media server, the battery pack now included - rather than a separate item to buy is an improvement.

But after 3 years in the making they release an item almost identical to the old SB Radio with hardly any improvements, lots of disadvantages and do not try to bring existing loyal SB customers with them. Logitech state "for now the Squeezebox platform will continue to operate as it has" ...but to expect a hardcore fanbase to ditch old equipment (no replacement for the wonderful Touch) shows ineptitude at the highest levels.

Why not make the improvements to the media servers to all existing SB and make this item totally compatible - thus building on the uniqueness of the SB rather than killing it off with something that looks so similar. Sadly Logitech seem to have had no idea how to market what is still a unique product and instead release this - which will be a sad epitaph to a once great product range.
on 12 September 2013
A real quality item, feels good to the touch and heavy in the hand. Genuinely rechargeable in that it has its own built-in battery pack and charger instead of using rechargeable batteries. That means it's properly portable around the house and elsewhere as long as you're in range of wifi.

Easy to set up and use, has apps available so you can control from iPod.

Oh, and the sound quality is amazing for such a small unit - deep bass tones and capable of pumping out a decent volume too.

I loved my first one so much, I now have two!
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2012
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a DAB radio in my kitchen, bought when DAB was the next big thing. Now DAB is dead, and the future is internet radio. So it was with some interest that I opened this radio.

It is heavier than you would expect, but it feels reassuringly sold, and the buttons and dials have a build quality to them that is very nice. Set up could not be easier - plug in the recharging cable, pull out a tab in the battery compartment and it comes on and looks for your wifi network. Navigation is very simple and intuitive, as is programming preset stations. And the sound quality is good, too. I have a Roberts DAB at the moment, and the sound on this Logitech is definitely superior. it has a richness to it, and you can turn it all the way up with no distortion

I like the ease of use. I also love the fact that it is rechargeable - you can put it anywhere and not worry about where the plugs or cables are. Although it's not exactly portable as you obviously need to be in range of wifi (the downside of internet radio). Including a rechargeable battery is such an obvious idea, but it's also a really good one. You can use it as a speaker for your iphone, ipod or any other phone, too. It takes a line in (from the device headphone socket, and a 3.5 to 3.5 cable is helpfully included).

Sounds great, doesn't it?

The downsides, then. Three that occur to me, and two of those are nothing to do with this product. 1) if you are going to listen to the radio a lot, better if you are on an unlimited download broadband deal 2) I don't know what happens if you are on one of the broadband companies that experiences slowdowns. Radio doesn't use much bandwidth compared to video, but it will use it, so be prepared.

The third downside, for me at least, comes in terms of the design. I don't like the volume dial. it's too small, too peripheral. I was going to knock a star off for the big dial being for tuning, but my wife says that most people would expect the biggest dial to be for tuning on a radio, which shows how much I know! But volume dial isn't right. And that sounds a niggly thing, which it is, but I'd still prefer it to be more obvious and important looking.

So five stars it is. Internet radios do have downsides - they are not perfect and will cost you bandwidth - but that's not this Logitech's fault. It seems like a really nice bit of kit.