I bought this piece of kit to accompany my Google Nexus 7 Android tablet. Its main use is to enable me to listen to Internet radio with the Tune-In radio app and also to listen to music with my Amazon mp3 app and my Spotify app.

Published on 5 Dec. 2012 by Thomas Cunliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor for orchestral music
Published 19 months ago by PhilC

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - looks good, feels good and sounds fantastic, 5 Dec. 2012
Thomas Cunliffe "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)

I got rid of my small hi-fi a couple of years ago having gone fully digital at that time and I have been looking for something other than headphones to give me great sound ever since. This product has really delivered on all counts. From the moment you open the box you know you have a quality product here - it is heavy (and don't tell me that you can get great sound from lightweight plastic devices), and when you turn it on, the welcoming tone is rich and deep.

I connected my Nexus via blue-tooth, a process which took only a few seconds and the result was startling. At last I have the sort of sound I was looking for. I have a graphic equalizer app on my tablet and by the time the first track was playing I was experimenting with the different pre-set sounds - all of which made a real difference to the sound coming out of the UE Boombox.

The Boombox is bigger than most blue-tooth devices but I do not intend to take it out of my home anyway. It is certainly not so big that you can't move it from room to room - I would say its a similar weight to my Pure stereo DAB radio which has a wooden case.

It has an audio in jack so I can plug my Sony digital Walkman into it which enables me to listen to the podcasts I collect on that device via WiFi.

I do not leave it plugged into the wall as I like to follow best-practice for Lithium batteries - running it between 20 and 80% fully charged and fully dishcharging once a month.

This is a great buy - its not cheap but I feel I know have a device to play all my music on in the confidence that I am doing full justice to the recordings.

Update 28 December 2012

I've used this all over the Christmas season where it provided music for family get-togthers with sufficient volume to penetrate through the chatter of a large group of people. The power such a small device provides is quite amazing. On the other hand, in the mornings I've been playing quiet classical or ambient music and what I notice is that you don't have to turn up the volume to hear a well-rounded bass sound. All in all its a quite amazing device - completely different to the cheaper smaller blue tooth speakers which I tried in a shop and found very tinny.

By the way, one morning I couldn't get any sound out of the unit and it was only by rooting around on the Internet that I discovered that the whole of the end panel is one gigantic volume rocker switch and I'd inadvertently turned the volume off. This is only faintly marked on the panel with embossed plus and minus signs so be warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why comapre to Bose? An ideal portable speaker, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
I first bought the Boombox mini that I really liked and was so useful for travelling and so I bought this bigger version for around the house. People always want to compare to Bose speakers but Bose speakers cost over £300 whereas this little fella goes for just over a ton. Its loud enough for using at home and in fact, even the most anti-social person would struggle to keep it running full blast for very long. The thing is the bass: it is a little bit too much so maybe a couple of pots to control bass and treble should've been included so that it could be quickly adapted to suit personal preferences. I don't want to keep adjusting EQ on my PC or phone to compensate for this bass-happiness so I do tend to keep it quiet - not a problem for me.
It is very portable and stays connected at quite a distance. I wish it had a USB charger but the size of the batteries probably need more than 5V 2A so, again, I don't have a problem with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, Powerful Sound, But Heavy, 25 Sept. 2012
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You've probably heard of the Swiss company Logitech, but what's Logitech UE? Well, UE (Ultimate Ears) is a company that used to specialise in designing high-end In-Ear Monitors. In 2008 they were purchased by Logitech and in 2012 they started releasing Earphones, Pro Earphones, Headphones, Smart Radios and Wireless Speakers under the name Logitech UE. They currently sell three Wireless Speakers, and the Boombox is their top-of-the-range Portable model.

The Logitech UE Boombox comes beautifully packaged in a large (43.2 x 23.1 x 12.6 cm) black box. The top of the box lifts off (just like an iPhone box) to reveal the following five items:

- Logitech UE Boombox (S-00124)
- AC Power Supply (EFS02401200200CE)
- UK & European Power Plugs
- Setup Guide (6 pages of English)
- Logitech Important Information: Safety, Compliance and Warranty

Taking the Boombox out of its packaging was, for me, a "wow" moment. At 38.6 x 16.4 x 7.9 cm, I didn't expect it to be so long and I didn't expect it to look so stylish and be so well engineered. With its streamlined simplicity and rounded corners, its design was clearly inspired by Dieter Rams, and therefore complements any Apple products you might have. The metal speaker grill wraps around the Boombox like the foil of an electric shaver, and the sculpted die-cast aluminium handle looks and feels beautiful. The problem is, while the handle makes the Boombox easy to pick up, the 2 cm space left for your fingers is very tight, putting pressure on your knuckles. Also, the Boombox is very heavy. Weighing a whopping 1980 g, almost six times as much as the Jawbone JAMBOX, it's not something you're going to want to "roam" around with.

The two sides of the Boombox are capped off with smart blue plastic. The entire right side functions as a comically large (5.8 x 10.7 cm) volume switch, although there's no indication of what the current volume level is. The left side contains a Power port, a 3.5 mm Audio jack, a Power on/off switch with a green LED light, and a Bluetooth button surrounded by a blue LED light.

The Boombox can be connected wirelessly to a smartphone, tablet, computer or even TV, via Bluetooth with A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). It can remember up to eight Bluetooth devices and can be connected to up to three of them simultaneously. To make the initial connection, you'll need to pair your device with the Boombox. Here's how:

- Slide the Power on/off switch up to turn the Boombox on
- The green LED light will come on steady and the blue LED light will blink rapidly
- On your device (e.g. iPhone), tap on Settings, tap on Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth on
- After a few seconds "UE Boombox" should appear in the list of Devices
- Tap on "UE Boombox" and "Not Connected" will change to "Connected"
- Any audio you now play on your iPhone will come out of the Boombox
- Tapping any AirPlay icon on your iPhone, and tapping "iPhone", will disconnect it from the Boombox

So how does it sound? In a word, big! This is a powerful bit of kit that delivers high-quality sound via its eight custom-tuned drivers (two 0.5" tweeters, two 3" woofers and four 2.75" passive radiators). Vocals are incredibly clear and precise and the bass is deliciously deep and energetic. Due to the lack of indication of volume level, I'm not entirely sure how loud the Boombox will go, but it's definitely capable of creating an instant party atmosphere (i.e. you have to shout to be heard over it). That said, I did encounter a couple of problems. Firstly, because all the drivers are so close together, you don't get much stereo separation. And secondly, during my tests I experienced four Bluetooth glitches that resulted in gaps in my music. While these may have been the fault of my device (an iPhone 4S running iOS 6) it made me question just how reliable the Boombox really is.

My Boombox arrived from Amazon partially charged, so I was able to listen to it for around 30 minutes before it died on me. Logitech UE don't make it entirely clear whether the product takes AA batteries or not. I wasn't sure myself until I undid the single Phillips screw on the bottom of the Boombox, which revealed a rechargeable Li-ion battery (No. DGYF001). While this single battery can be removed and ultimately replaced, it was clearly designed as a fixed, permanent solution. The high (2150 mAh) capacity of the battery means you can listen to the Boombox for six hours before recharging it. The problem is, there's no way of checking the remaining charge, or any warning when the battery is empty and needs recharging!

Overall, I think the Logitech UE Boombox is a great product. It's an object of beauty that looks and feels expensive, with the sonic power to literally make your floor bounce. While I'm not sold on its "portability", I think the Boombox is the perfect 2012 Hi-Fi.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOMbox, 22 Jan. 2014
Mr. J. Hewitt "jason hewitt" (glasgow,scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
Awesome sound.... fantastic value. Very clear and the equal of the bose soundock which is 3 times the price.... great

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much BASS? What? Use an EQ. Sounds AMAZING!!, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
Too many people rush in and write reviews saying this thing has too much bass. Maybe without bothering to fine tune it to your style it has. But in my opinion, the bass is the one thing lacking in all the other portable speakers. You can completely tone down the bass with an EQ and get it sounding just the way you want. I bought the Sony BTX300 and was so disapointed by the complete lack of bass no matter what EQ settings I used.
The UE Boombox is easily the best sounding portable bluetooth speaker I've heard. It's crystal clear and at the price amazon are selling it for, you'd be mad not to buy it if you're in the market for a powerful portable speaker.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor for orchestral music, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
I 'auditioned' this in a branch of Currys, where I was also trying sony btx500 and 300. I connected it easily enough by bluetooth from my phone and was able to try out different genres, including a Beethoven symphony, and some chamber music, plus George Harrison's 'I dig love'. The appeal of this device is that it's very neat to pick up and put down, and the bass effect is very pronounced for such a portable design. However all speakers of this size are bound to have some colouration of the sound, and in this case there is a serious lack of clarity in the upper middle. Lower frequencies come through surprisingly powerfully, and some top, but the focus of much classical / orchestral / acoustic (ie unamplified) music is much more in the alto/soprano territory than the percussive bass effect, and overall the orchestral sound was unappealing to say the least. By comparison the sonys were far more suitable, if slightly less punchy in the bass. They also had clearer stereo separation.

4.0 out of 5 stars great although a bit too much bass, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
I think this it's a good speaker. Well design and does what its says. Good sound considering its size. The only down thing is that it has a bit too much bass. it doesn't bother me too much as my time to listen to music in general is very limited so I think the boombox is fine for its purpose. Easy to move around and connects well to bluethooth and wi-fi. To me its perfect for what I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for use inside and out....., 16 Mar. 2013
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
I love this Boombox.....it is easy to set up, use and sync with different Bluetooth enabled devices.....
I like the sound, although, as other reviewers have stated, it is a bit bassy on some types of music.....But it is good and loud and to be honest I'm not an audiophile and I think it sounds really good....
It easily found my iPhone,Samsung Galaxy and iPod Touch....and they sound great through it...I've used it for listening to the iPlayer too and it sounds good....

PROS
1. Easy to use
2. You can play your music or internet radio via your device through it.
3. Looks good
4. Well made
5. You don't need wi fi ..... just bluetooth and an audio device
6. The volume button is the whole side of it..and thats cool!
7. Good and loud...
8. makes a cool sound when you sync your device to it...a bit like a guitar sound!...
9. Rechargable...

CONS
1. Some may find it too bassy
2. No screen...BUT... you don't need one really...just use your iPhone...

So, I think its a top notch music system...great sound, well made and easy to use....

5.0 out of 5 stars OMFG!!! The BEST by comparison!!!, 15 Feb. 2014
K. Kapalko "KIMBAKAT" (NYC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
This boombox is the best sounding bluetooth/speaker!!! We have tested this in Apple stores against Bose and products, including Logitech's own products. It has the widest frequency response and it very clear and strong bass!!! Please note..when testing these products and comparing them..you need to make sure the music choice is encoded at a high bit rate AND the choice of music is not over-compressed in the post "loudness wars." (i.e. by a bad master poorly mastering music). So, basically that means that anything encoded at high bit rate BEFORE 2001 is going to be a good example to demo!!! EXCEPTIONS ARE: Daft Punk and Chromeo. They do not over-compress their music. They have too much class and knowledge to think that louder is better. Louder is not better. If the music is good..you won't have to make it loud. It's called a volume knob. You turn it up to your tastes!!! Period!

The only CON here...Logitech is not a very "green" company and claims you cannot replace the battery. So after 2 years..what are you supposed to do with this item.....chuck it in a landfill???....this wonderfully quality made speaker???? The boomboxes back in the day (Pre 1985) are still functioning and sound just as good as this boombox. People in the know do not throw them out. They got them replaced. They will last you till the next generation if you keep them protected.....so Logitech is full of BS when they say you cannot keep it after the battery dies. This is well made device as we all know as Americans is a rare thing. You should be able to keep it...and pass it off to your kids.

SO!

HERE is to keeping this fine product for years to come and not dumping it in a landfill.

BATTERY REPLACEMENT - You can buy them here.
MODEL: DGYF001

[...]

Enjoy......and screw the corporations......and their filthy lies and tactics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant just about sums this up!, 3 Mar. 2013
Reviewser - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logitech UE Boombox (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Logitech raised the bar quite high with this product. For £200 you expect a lot.
Wow did Logitech deliver.

The UE Boombox is another of Logitech's products to gain from Logitech's purchase of Ultimate Ears. This wireless speaker packs some serious punch considering its size!

Design
When it comes to looks they decided to go down the practical but sleek look.The top of the device is a sturdy aluminium look handle(I think it isn't real aluminium but the quality of it is totally sturdy). The sides of the device are a good quality rubber as it the bottom fifth of the device. The speaker grille is a good quality aluminium.
Logitech really seems to have pushed the boat using materials that will wear well. The build quality is also such that I'd expect it to be able to take a fair amount of abuse.

Simplicity is key with a product such as this. Logitech had this in mind and kept buttons and switches to an absolute minimum. On the left side an On/Off switch, a Bluetooth pairing button on the right massive volume up/down buttons. The left also houses the charging port and the Auxiliary 3.5mm input.

Functionality

I was really impressed by the bluetooth range which was about 17m with my iPhone and just over with my iPad. Pairing was really easy. Simply go into the bluetooth menu, switch on the boombox and add it to your devices. Once paired an audible chime is played and you can start your music.
Simple as anything. Swapping devices is a case of stopping the music on one and pressing play on the other. The transition is perfectly seamless. The supplied charger is also an unfiddly power adapter affair.
6 hours of battery life is also pretty brilliant. It is enough for most gatherings and to be honest if you are playing music for longer than that you can probably find a power adapter.

Sound
The most important part.
Now I compared this to a Bose ® SoundDock® Portable Digital Music System and a not so portable Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay.
I should probably also mention that I did take time to set up my Boombox before using it. I use apps to stream music which have great equalisers. I did drop the bass quite a bit and added to the midrange. However as with any audio product I think this is something you need to take into account as necessary. Nothing will ever be tuned perfectly. If using an iPhone's iPod function I suggest using either FLAT or Bass Reduced in the EQ menu unless you use another app to play music in which case set up the equaliser as you see fit. You won't get the best audio performance without doing that.

The sound from the Boombox was quite surprising. Firstly I had read that this device was overly bass heavy. Although the bass really isn't light I wouldn't say it was overpowering. In-fact I would say that the Zeppelin can be more overpowering than the Boombox. I'd say it is probably quite similar to the Bose Sound Dock.
The mids and highs were very well redered with a beautifully full sound emerging. Playing Dire Straits' 'Expresso Love' sounded really good. The guitar sounded wonderfully rich and the drums equally so. The vocals were lost on occasion but to be honest most speakers have issue with it. Moving into some modern electronica Gramophonedzie's 'Why Don't You' is also dealt with well. The bass was crisp and the vocals not lost underneath. Again quite impressive. With that I decided to move it up a notch. So far it had coped well with rock as well as chilled electronica. Usually devices trip up by now but as of yet the Boombox hadn't even at really high volumes.
Die & Interface's 'Bright Lights' provided the perfect track to take the Logitech UE Boombox out of its comfort zone. This Drum and Bass track has both high vocals mixed with a relaxed vibe as well as a super heavy baseline and fast moving percussion. It was only wit the volume up high I noticed the only flaw I could, the bass frequency doesn't actually go that low. So if you play some heavy drum and bass or even electronica you sometimes miss most of the baseline. In the grand scheme of things though, considering the cost, the wireless technology and the amazing battery life this really isn't that bad. This device isn't placed as a home entertainment system. Nor is it meant to be used as a computer speaker. This is THE perfect successor to the original boomboxes. BBQs, House Parties, Picnics and other social gatherings are what this was made for. For that it isn't bad.
The sound is strong enough to fill a large room or a garden easily. Pop this on a table, let people pair their devices and off you go. Against the Bose Sounddock you are saving yourself over £100 and in my opinion getting something better. The sound really is as good as the Bose and connectivity is better. Also it is easier to carry around. The Zeppelin is probably still better if you have the money to burn but it isn't portable. It does sound incredible though so if you are more likely to entertain guests in your home I would have that over the Boombox. Interestingly I also noticed the sound was a smidgen louder when it was plugged into power. Odd but not enough to make a difference.

In summary I honestly feel this is brilliant. At £200 I expect if you are seriously considering one of these you probably have the kind of lifestyle which would make one of these useful. It is definitely a gigantic upgrade from using a mobile phone speakers to entertain people. I cannot wait till the summer when this could genuinely become invaluable.
Another perk is that it will play Audio from any app on your phone. So movies or anything else can be greatly enhanced whilst you are anywhere!

Logitech UE Boombox