4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, no scratches, very few issues
I bought this stylus with a lot of care. There were so many reviews about it scratching your screen and skipping while using it that I wasn't sure if I wanted it, but I really did want a super precise stylus so I took the gamble.

Published 22 months ago by Keaira

1.0 out of 5 stars A good concept, but terribly executed.
Short version:

I bought mine with drawing in mind, on the iPad Air.

PROS: Revolutionary when operational - Excellent for tapping - Beautiful Design - Body feels sturdy, good grip - Brilliant Cap - Package makes for easy returning of product.

Published 10 months ago by Jerker

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, no scratches, very few issues, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone, & Kindle Fire - Red (Personal Computers)

My findings? It glides smoothly across my screen and so far, (a few days in) no scratches on my iPad. I am currently not using a screen protector although I have ordered a few from a different website, in case I start seeing any sign of scratching, but basically it seems fine as long as you don't press too hard on the pen, and you really don't have to press hard to make it work. What I like to do is brush it by my nose for a bit (yes, i know it sounds strange, but on that little spot is a bit of grease which helps the pen glide and it's connectivity a lot!). Like that it works for both writing and tapping, however, it's most important to notice that if the angle with the screen gets too small, it works less well. I am guessing this is where some people may get skipping issues if you momentarily reduce the angle of the pen and the screen too much it may skip, if you learn to hold it up just a bit straighter it works fine. You still don't have to hold it like other styluses all the way straight up, just experiment a little bit and you'll find it to be fine. (Or at least I did).

Lastly, as everyone says, the disc is fragile, simply never put it anywhere without screwing the cap on. The cap comes with it for a reason, use it. As far as the magnetic clinging goes, I can easily cling it to my iPad and hold it upside down and it did not fall off. The plastic also makes no sound on my screen.

Summary:

+ Glides smoothly and is very precise
+ Magnetic clinging works well
+ Doesn't scratch or skip in my opinion if used properly
+- Always screw the cap on when not using it
- Don't hold it too angeled

EDIT 25-03-2013:
It's now a while later and I'm still using my Adonit Pro. I have started to notice some skipping, but not much to where it is a problem. I still stick to my trick of greasening the tip a little bit before use , which truly helps. I've still not noticed any scratching whatsoever, and even after applying a screen protector a few days ago it still is as precise and responsive as it was before the screen protector. Still happy with my purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars A good concept, but terribly executed., 11 Feb 2014
Short version:

I bought mine with drawing in mind, on the iPad Air.

CONS: Unresponsive, slow and greatly suffering from line skipping - Requires extra money, time and tears to get to decent operating level - will inevitably scratch your screen - cheap, often defective discs sold for 14£, that need be bought for the single one they ship is bound to get lost one day.

The longer version:

I wanted to believe in this product, i did.

The flashy commercials, the beautiful metal body. A revolutionary tip. Yet there were so many negative reviews, of consumers finding themselfes adjusting to the situation of the pen, by trying to fix inexscusable problems that never should have existed from the start,

Well, I was a fool to think others had recieved defective models, and perhaps I would be in luck. Luckily, I had read the horrific tales of scrathces and defective discs, as such it did not have the time to touch my iPad before i rigorously tested it on other devices.

Their marketing is a blatant lie. Even with a disc with only small defects at the top (they do not include any spares, they are sold seperatly), it is a scratcher on EPIC scales, with all the horrors of skipping and glitching all so true. You bet all the concerns you have heard and read about will become true, and in the end you are left with a product, faulty from the core, which you must either return, or force yourself to adjust to.

Still considering buying it? Well, if scratching isn't of any concern (I.e a screen protector) you will be happy to know, not only does it scratch, but it fails to register on the screen 20% of the time.
20% Might not seem as much, but when using Swype keyboard or drawing, it will skip leaving gaps in the line.

A truly commendable feat, in my opinion, thinking it fails to perform at the one task it is marketed to excel. And before you think i'm exxagregating these claims, i do not judge baselessly, i tested it on a multiple of devices including:

IPAD AIR
HTC ONE X
SONY XPERIA st27i(go)

Every single one had the same phenomena, even after applying fixes that has been reccomended by both Adonit and other users. Microfiber cleaning cloths, ninjaring metal foil between the disc and the metal ball, conducting liquids...

All this, which YOU, the consumer never should have to do in the first place, combined with an ANAL level of angle control on the styli, and it still failed to register decently on the screen.

Also, you should know, as they have stated, Gorilla glass can't get scratched by this plastic disc even if defective disc.
But even the smallest speckle of dust, or a crumble of real Swedish wholewheat bread will turn your beautiful screen into a cutting board.

It is an outrage this product is sold without warning labels of the additional cost and time it will take to have a chance of gaining the benefits promised from the small tip, which i must say, is simply marvelous to use and tap with, and when it works, it does so elegantly.

If you like tinkering with your devices, and have money gathering dust in your pocket, i highly reccomend it, for truly, if you can make it work, or alternatively, had it worked as claimed, it would have been the one styli for the rest to follow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oddly unreliable, 9 Oct 2013
I've used a variety of styli and had high hopes for this one. However, it loses connection quite frequently, and seemingly at random (leaving strokes half-detected). Very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be sold with a spare disc, 16 Jan 2013
Paul Gleeson "fenaghman" (dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
For a new user of a Adonit, you don't realise how easily the disk can fall off the top of the stylus, therefore you should at least get one spare disc to help you out after you first realise that the discs can fall off real easy. Other than that the product seems to work really well

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 2 Nov 2013
I had high hopes for this, but after using it for a day, it just stopped working. I tried a few things that they recommend on the Adonit website, but the pen just doesn't work reliably. It's like trying to write with a Biro that randomly refuses to write up strokes or down strokes. I can't recommend it. Nice idea, but no good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly Scratched IPad, 8 Dec 2013
I recently bought this product believing the unique stylus disk system to be advantageous. Unfortunately, dust or dirt particles can get easily caught under the stylus disk and this caused severe scratching across my screen. I only had my IPad for a week before it was badly scratched and needless to say that I am devastated. I emailed the company to complain about the scratching hoping for a compensation and all they offered was new disks. Do not buy this product if you do not want your screen to be scratched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - with Arctic Silver Thermal Paste., 16 May 2013
I had the reported effect of skipping, after only a few days, but research advised the application of a tiny amount of Arctic Silver Thermal Paste to the metal ball which fits into the clear plastic head. This cured it completely, the stylus is now everything I had hoped - but it had cost extra time and money to resolve this. It would be really good if the manufacturers could apply this compound at production!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mega rubbish, 17 April 2014
It's rubbish and coupled with the fact that it's expensive, I have to add mega to it making it mega rubbish. Many negative points but for the sake of time, I'll share the king of the pack - I used it on my brand new iPad mini and it immediately scratched the surface of the iPad screen leaving a couple of slight marks on it. I only used it for like 1 minute. What if I kept on using it? What would my mini look like now? Keep away, this is a weapon of mini destruction. Asides that, it looks good but it's not responsive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stylus for detail!, 28 May 2013
Miko (Guildford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this stylus! When I originally saw this kind of design, I doubted I'd like it, something about the plastic disc on the end of the nib looked like it'd be awkward to write with, but after trying others and not getting on with them, I decided to give this one a go. So glad I did! The plastic disc isn't a problem at all and this is definitely the most precise stylus I've tried. Loving it!

The whole thing seems really well made, the metal handle seems sturdy and though the plastic disc attaches to the nib at a very fine point, the screw-on cap protects it while not in use (very happy it has that as I tend to just chuck my stylus in my handbag).

Because I'd read that some of these skipped sometimes, but that a dab of Arctic Silver Thermal Paste on the metal ball would fix it, I bought some of that at the same time, but haven't needed it; figure at least I'll have it on hand if it ever does start skipping. Even if I had to put some of the paste on every once in awhile it would be worth it - this is a really great stylus.

[Update: my stylus started skipping, but before I even tried the thermal paste, I tried Adonit's advice from their website - removed the plastic tip and blew into it to remove any particles that were impeding conductivity. When I replaced the tip and tested the stylus it worked perfectly - no skips at all! Still five stars!]

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 9 Dec 2013
I've tried this with several different apps with pretty much the same result, it seems incapable of completing a dozen words without missing letters. I have tried all of the suggested fixes such as keeping screen clean, various conductive pastes, greases and foil but this item remains utterly useless. I've hung on to it to enable me to demonstrate to people at work who have expressed an interest why they should look for an alternative.