4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - with Arctic Silver Thermal Paste.
Published 11 months ago by suecrain

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly Scratched IPad
Published 4 months ago by Ads

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly Scratched IPad, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone, & Kindle Fire - Gun Metal (Personal Computers)
I recently bought this product believing the unique stylus disk system to be advantageous. Unfortunately, dust or dirt particles can get easily caught under the stylus disk and this caused severe scratching across my screen. I only had my IPad for a week before it was badly scratched and needless to say that I am devastated. I emailed the company to complain about the scratching hoping for a compensation and all they offered was new disks. Do not buy this product if you do not want your screen to be scratched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - with Arctic Silver Thermal Paste., 16 May 2013
I had the reported effect of skipping, after only a few days, but research advised the application of a tiny amount of Arctic Silver Thermal Paste to the metal ball which fits into the clear plastic head. This cured it completely, the stylus is now everything I had hoped - but it had cost extra time and money to resolve this. It would be really good if the manufacturers could apply this compound at production!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stylus for detail!, 28 May 2013
Miko (Guildford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this stylus! When I originally saw this kind of design, I doubted I'd like it, something about the plastic disc on the end of the nib looked like it'd be awkward to write with, but after trying others and not getting on with them, I decided to give this one a go. So glad I did! The plastic disc isn't a problem at all and this is definitely the most precise stylus I've tried. Loving it!

The whole thing seems really well made, the metal handle seems sturdy and though the plastic disc attaches to the nib at a very fine point, the screw-on cap protects it while not in use (very happy it has that as I tend to just chuck my stylus in my handbag).

Because I'd read that some of these skipped sometimes, but that a dab of Arctic Silver Thermal Paste on the metal ball would fix it, I bought some of that at the same time, but haven't needed it; figure at least I'll have it on hand if it ever does start skipping. Even if I had to put some of the paste on every once in awhile it would be worth it - this is a really great stylus.

[Update: my stylus started skipping, but before I even tried the thermal paste, I tried Adonit's advice from their website - removed the plastic tip and blew into it to remove any particles that were impeding conductivity. When I replaced the tip and tested the stylus it worked perfectly - no skips at all! Still five stars!]

1.0 out of 5 stars A good concept, but terribly executed., 11 Feb 2014
Short version:

I bought mine with drawing in mind, on the iPad Air.

PROS: Revolutionary when operational - Excellent for tapping - Beautiful Design - Body feels sturdy, good grip - Brilliant Cap - Package makes for easy returning of product.

CONS: Unresponsive, slow and greatly suffering from line skipping - Requires extra money, time and tears to get to decent operating level - will inevitably scratch your screen - cheap, often defective discs sold for 14, that need be bought for the single one they ship is bound to get lost one day.

The longer version:

I wanted to believe in this product, i did.

The flashy commercials, the beautiful metal body. A revolutionary tip. Yet there were so many negative reviews, of consumers finding themselfes adjusting to the situation of the pen, by trying to fix inexscusable problems that never should have existed from the start,

Well, I was a fool to think others had recieved defective models, and perhaps I would be in luck. Luckily, I had read the horrific tales of scrathces and defective discs, as such it did not have the time to touch my iPad before i rigorously tested it on other devices.

Their marketing is a blatant lie. Even with a disc with only small defects at the top (they do not include any spares, they are sold seperatly), it is a scratcher on EPIC scales, with all the horrors of skipping and glitching all so true. You bet all the concerns you have heard and read about will become true, and in the end you are left with a product, faulty from the core, which you must either return, or force yourself to adjust to.

Still considering buying it? Well, if scratching isn't of any concern (I.e a screen protector) you will be happy to know, not only does it scratch, but it fails to register on the screen 20% of the time.
20% Might not seem as much, but when using Swype keyboard or drawing, it will skip leaving gaps in the line.

A truly commendable feat, in my opinion, thinking it fails to perform at the one task it is marketed to excel. And before you think i'm exxagregating these claims, i do not judge baselessly, i tested it on a multiple of devices including:

IPAD AIR
HTC ONE X
SONY XPERIA st27i(go)

Every single one had the same phenomena, even after applying fixes that has been reccomended by both Adonit and other users. Microfiber cleaning cloths, ninjaring metal foil between the disc and the metal ball, conducting liquids...

All this, which YOU, the consumer never should have to do in the first place, combined with an ANAL level of angle control on the styli, and it still failed to register decently on the screen.

Also, you should know, as they have stated, Gorilla glass can't get scratched by this plastic disc even if defective disc.
But even the smallest speckle of dust, or a crumble of real Swedish wholewheat bread will turn your beautiful screen into a cutting board.

It is an outrage this product is sold without warning labels of the additional cost and time it will take to have a chance of gaining the benefits promised from the small tip, which i must say, is simply marvelous to use and tap with, and when it works, it does so elegantly.

If you like tinkering with your devices, and have money gathering dust in your pocket, i highly reccomend it, for truly, if you can make it work, or alternatively, had it worked as claimed, it would have been the one styli for the rest to follow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oddly unreliable, 9 Oct 2013
I've used a variety of styli and had high hopes for this one. However, it loses connection quite frequently, and seemingly at random (leaving strokes half-detected). Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Use a screen protector!, 11 Jan 2014
This stylus has scratched the screen of my lovely new tablet. I haven't yet added a stick-on screen protector as the tablet has not been in a bag or briefcase, just in the stand or in my hand and I didn't anticipate that a product specifically designed for use with the screen would actually cause damage. Whilst hopefully not an issue with an additional screen protector in place, there is no huge warning label on the package advising against use without additional protection, and I think something which causes permanent damage to expensive equipment in normal use is not fit for purpose.
If you are still desperate for a handwriting stylus, this does have a finer point than anything else I've tried, and it is easy to see where the point of contact is, but make sure you have a screen protector in place before putting this anywhere near your tablet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible just terrible, 14 Nov 2013
This item is possibly one of the worst things I have ever bought.

It arrived yesterday in super fast time and in a lovely box. But that would be the end of all that is great about this item. When I opened the box an revealed the pen, the nib was covered in a tacky glue but I tried to overlook this since I had spent 20. I then go to use it on my iPad and complete a drawing. It's touch abilities were terrible. It never seemed to touch the screen and seem to have jittery contact. I thought maybe I was using the product wrong. After bearing with it for over 3 hours and ruining a project I was on I decided to go to bed. Today I woke up and tried to start a new project. 4 mind in and I notice the nib has fallen apart. A really thin clear disc has come off revealing the tacky glue and an even smaller metal disc has fallen off.

I warn you to avoid this product. It's cheap tacky and dam right awful.
Worst purchase from amazon yet

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 2 Nov 2013
I had high hopes for this, but after using it for a day, it just stopped working. I tried a few things that they recommend on the Adonit website, but the pen just doesn't work reliably. It's like trying to write with a Biro that randomly refuses to write up strokes or down strokes. I can't recommend it. Nice idea, but no good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall the best stylus out there for the iPad ...BUT....., 28 Sep 2013
Mr. M. Z. Shah (Uk) - See all my reviews
Up till purchasing this I had the generic bulky headed stylus which was ok but didn't allow me to do precision work. However this stylus changed all that and the detail in the precision with this adonit stylus is the best i've seen

All in all a solid stylus and does the job very well, however there are two criticisms I have reg this stylus

Firstly the plastic disc on the end of the tip is not securely added to the pen i.e. I kept this pen in my 'manbag' for a few days and within no time the tip would come off. Luckily it always fell within my bag so after a few seconds of searching I found it, however this became a real pain and it was only a matter of time before I permanently lost the tip after falling off. To solve this I bought a leather pen case for the stylus at a pen shop in central london at a cost of 4.99 which fixed the problem immediately. Now I can keep the stylus in my bag and it is fully protected solving the problem of the tip falling off. However natural to conclude that I had to fix this issue myself and it cost me extra time and money to get hold off

Secondly if you dont have some form of screen protecting cover on your ipad (or whatever other device you are using) then you could run the risk of scratching it. On my iPad mini I have the 'Zagg' cover which from what I know is the best on the market. So what's the problem you may ask, well when using the stylus it drags slightly due to the protective cover on my iPad mini and so doesn't allow for a smooth drawing process. Over time i've found there's a bit of a learning curve on the angle in which you hold the stylus but none the less it still drags

Overall this stylus is by far the best out there that i've used but still has room for improvement, and you will still more then likely encounter these two issues i've outlined

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 9 Dec 2013
I've tried this with several different apps with pretty much the same result, it seems incapable of completing a dozen words without missing letters. I have tried all of the suggested fixes such as keeping screen clean, various conductive pastes, greases and foil but this item remains utterly useless. I've hung on to it to enable me to demonstrate to people at work who have expressed an interest why they should look for an alternative.

ARRAY(0xafe05d5c)