on 23 January 2013
The navigation of this kindle version could have been better, but having said that it's relatively easy to find your way around - for the price it's a bargain! I'm no expert on Calvin, I'm still scratching the surface of his commentaries let alone works, but the more I refer to him the more impressed I am. When doing extended research on a particular passage I go through all the commentaries I have, which includes Henry, Barnes, Poole etc, and most of the time I find Calvin to be the most suggestive and inspiring.
on 3 February 2013
From a time for death and persecution here is the work of a man that has never been superceded. If you can only afford one commentary this is the one to buy. Its price makes it the greatest bargain of the age.
on 23 July 2013
Wow! I am 72 years of age and never thought to have owned the master's works. Now I have them: for just over £3.00 sterling. I have already begun to 'delve'. As soon as I have completed a reading of my recent,Puritan download, I shall task myself to spending the remainder of my life (pray 'tis a long one!) reading these commentaries. Can you imagine: John Own, Thomas Watson, Manton, Ryle, etc: for about £10.00 inclusive. Its an infralapsarian holiday, to be sure.
AND... my dear wife can not complain about me taking-up oodles of Bookshelves.
I have now, in addition, sufficient funds with which to purchase a few, old, black-and-white Doctor Who stories.
Addendum: I'd still prefer heaven. Calvin et al will be there, but I shall only have time for my beloved King Jesus: let those who love Him praise and glorify His lovely name.
Oops: am I blethering-?
on 6 March 2013
This is a collection I have wanted for a long time. To have it available on my Kindle gives me a wonderful tool for study.
on 31 March 2013
This has to be the bargain to beat all bargains !.

Calvin's commentaries on the whole of Scripture for £3-85, I spent more than that on Easter eggs this year !.

This is well worth having, ( I am tempted to test my Pastors sermons against what Calvin has to say ).

Get it and you will not regret doing so. A superb commentary at a bargain price, not to be missed.
on 15 April 2013
most useful for a good understanding of the word of God written by a reformer who had great gace as well as gifts
66 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2013
I have just read a brief portion of the book. This is very thick book with detailed analysis. Calvin was really an intelectual giant.
on 6 August 2014
A comprehensive and very clear commentary. I am currently using the chapter on 2 Peter and have yet not progressed further. It is important to remember that John Calvin held a very specific and firm theological position over certain issues but his writings are a real inspiration and blessing.

How blessed we are to have access to such fundamental truths at such an affordable price.
on 20 May 2014
The reformation was a period of intense rediscovery of biblical truth. John Calvin was close to the heart of the reformation; his Biblical Commentary set a timely high water mark of bible exposition. It remains a valuable aid to anyone serious about rightly handling the word of God.
on 24 April 2014
These commentaries across the whole bible are the best of the bible. His close working of the text, his deep knowledge of the background history of the bible make these commentaries invaluable. It is a book to come back to illuminate the text.
One of my most treasured books!