Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 19 October 2012
This 2nd album is definitely not as catchy as their first and, although I've enjoyed the songs when I've played the album, I cannot remember any of them! The album is a bit 'samey' Usually after a few listens to an album I am singing songs from it in my head but I'll need to put this album on again and again to remember the songs! Strange! Maybe it's just one of those albums that needs to be played a lot to really grow on you and become familiar. Having said all that I do enjoy it when I listen to it and there are no disappointing tracks.
on 23 September 2012
A shining light in a dull morass of music currently, this is a bit of slow starter but once you get to the awesome "Sun" you wake up and take notice that this band or onto something! "Someday" has great 80s guitars in it, "Sleep Alone" has so mnay different styles in it I cant keep up, and the real hidden gem toward the end is "Spring" which has a hugely catchy chorus and lovely almost Northern Soul/ early R and B harmonies. These are just the stand out tracks, none of the other songs are actually bad so you are likely to find yourself liking them all at some point.

This is a very very consistent album. It avoids completely Second Album Syndrome, its only a small step musically from their first but enough that they don't stand still. The production is also very good. My only problem with it is I would like some of the songs to be a bit longer though, unfortunately I didnt get the remix album version, and you find yourself singing along just as the track stops. Sun and Spring could easily run to 5 minutes and not become boring.

A band destined for greatness with this album i think, certainly judged by the sell out Tour.
on 4 October 2012
Listened to this when me kids had it playing in the car
Not sure what they would think of Dad buying their music, but it brilliant. Great for working out to
on 30 November 2012
I recently discovered TDCC while investigating bands who are classed as part of the 80's New Wave revival. My first exposure was the 80's inspired video for the remarkably catchy "What You Know". I watched a few more of their videos and promptly ran out and purchased both of their albums. I liked the nerdy school kid look with the upbeat and catchy hooks. I'm so happy to see these returning to music.

But the problem with "Beacon" is that the band, who are still clearly remarkably young, are making far too much of an effort to grow up. While some of the songs on this second album are very good, very few are great. The debut single, "Sleep Alone", is definitely the best song on the album. But the second single, "Sun", is the dullest bit of blandness the band has produced, and shows them already going down Adult Contemporary boredom street. And then you get something as vile as "The World is Watching" to add to the horror. The strongest songs are towards the beginning with the catchy "Handshake" and "Wake Up", while the other somewhat pleasant background songs, such as "Settle" and "Spring", are saved for later in the album.

TDCC need to step back and realize that the fun of their debut album should not be disposed of so soon in favor of being a more "respectable" and mature Alternative band. I'm in my early forties and feel that these kids are quickly aging beyond my years. I hope this is just their sophomore slump, and album number 3 will have a revisiting of their original excitement. I can't stand all of the usual cattle-written customer reviews raving about a new album when it's clearly inferior. I see that enough when Kate Bush releases a new album of snore-worthy material, only to have masses praise it as her best. In this case, this album is definitely NOT the best.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 August 2013
This album was no let down. Although it took a few listens, I fell in love with it as much as their previous album 'Tourist History'. It contains familiar sounding guitar riffs and Alex's voice continues to amaze.
The songs are mainly upbeat and happy. They make you want to get up and dance, perfect for walking to school/work.
They have catchy choruses and a rock vibe that doesn't make them intimidating. The effects used on the lead guitar make it sound sharp and cuts through the songs perfectly rather than blending into the vocals which often seems to happen in the indie rock genre.
The bass guitar part on the tracks is often on the tracks is often overlooked and yet at points you find yourself focusing on it alone and even singing along with it!
'Beacon' has been on replay for me since it came out, especially my favorite song 'Someday' which launches straight into the song and is ridiculously catchy.
Don't underestimate this album! Two Door Cinema Club continue to impress me.
on 4 September 2012
I loved Tourist History and I think Two Door's second album Beacon is amazingly just as good. Such catchy songs and beautiful vocals from Alex. Every song grows on you with each play, my favourites being "wake up", "Someday" and "Sun" but really there are no weak tracks on this album. Cannot recommend this enough, it's my album of the year so far - buy it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2013
If there was a '3 and a half stars' option I'd have chosen that. Most of the reviews here - such as the one by 'Amber' - are right; it's nowhere near as good as the first album, but it's pleasant enough. Production has been smoothed out a bit, which means they've lost most of the gorgeous edge the first album has. The songs on here are unmemorable mostly and the album merges together to make a single 'sound' rather than a collection of songs. Not great, but not a failure either. Oh, and it's £3.99 in HMV at the moment, assuming your local one hasn't closed down.
on 1 December 2012
After impressing at this summer's festivals, I just had to give this album a go. It doesn't disappoint. I feel the band have now got into their stride, and established a sound all of their own. The music is light, upbeat and appealing, without being too poppie. I like this much better than their previous album, however, all the strongest tracks are on the front half of the album, while the rest sound a bit samey. But don't be put off, there's still plenty to like.
on 7 December 2013
This is another great album from this Irish band. It is one that I find myself listening to on a daily basis. If you are the type that likes to hear alternative types of music rather than the manufactured rubbish in the charts, you won't be disappointed with this album. A great band that will hopefully soon make it big outside of Ireland too.

Product was in very good condition and came within a fairly decent timeframe.
on 13 July 2013
You can't seem to turn on the radio or tv at the moment without hearing Two Door Cinema Club's brand of summery indie in the background of adverts or trailers. Their tunes are gorgeously summery and always a decent listen. I will agree with other reviewers that Beacon does not quite hit the mark in the same way as the first album but, nevertheless, is regularly played in our household. A great soundtrack to summer 2013.