Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.99

on 21 October 1999
Elizabeth Elgin obviously writes from experience - especially her memories of World War II. I found the character of Mildred Kenyon fascinating. It is so true to my life, that I have been left with a feeling of déjà vu. Is that character from Elizabeth's experience or totally fiction? I would dearly love to talk to someone else who has experienced this type of 'mothering' and has come through it or is still suffering. Can the wounds inflicted ever be truly healed? All the characters are so believable and true to life. There is never a single sentence that you can't relate to and the people all come to life. This is the fifth Elizabeth Elgin book I've read but I have to keep them in stock to bring out when I've some time to spare as I can't put them down once I start. I look forward to the next!
on 9 December 2003
I first read this book when a work friend told me it was about an RAF Pilot and my boyfriend was away training for the RAF. When she lent me this book i started to read it to see what all the fuss was about and I tell you now that i could not put this book down. It was fantastic, i would stay up late and read, i used to read it before i went to work, read it at lunch and in the bath. My boyfriend used to call me and i would ring him back cause i could not put this novel down. It is a fantastic book and it is written from the heart. The clever use of a Book within a Book is something that i have never experienced before. It is so fantastic that i have had to buy a copy for my collection and i would recommend this book to anyone.
on 1 April 2005
When I first picked up this book I was concerned about it being set in the present and I couldnt see how it would encapusulate the rest of the story about 2 young lovers in the midst of a difficult romance in World War II. But my god Ms Elgin didn't let me down! What a surprise to have a book within a book!
I really wanted this story to have an truth behind it. In parts I thought I would never stop crying at the sheer tragedy of Susan and Jon's story which of course was doomed from the start. I just didn't want to ever finish this book as it took me into a era that we only hear stories about.
Real people lived,loved and lost in these terrible years and the historical accuracy that Ms Elgin uses to help us conjure up a picture, makes you feel like you were there.
I'm glad that the end wasn't tinged with such sadness and that Cassie and Josh were able to live out the romance. WOuldn't it be nice if todays society valued love in the same way?
It's a pity my great-grandparents are not still alive because I now have questions that I would like answers to.
So, Ms Elgin if you ever read these reviews, for the sake of a 23 year old who needs to know what it was like 'back then' keep these novels coming!
on 6 May 2002
This was the first Elgin book I read and remains my favourite. Although, the blend of the present and past is a little different, I feel it works well and strengthens the eternity of Jack and Susie's love. It is also one of the few books I have read that not only could I not put it down but that made me cry my eyes out. Elgin develops realistic and likeable characters and the enduring romance of the lovers works well, bringing a 50-year-old war right into the hearts of us who did not experience it. This is highlighted by the present romance between Cassie and Josh, realising how lucky they are without the threat of war to jeopardise their love.
on 15 September 2004
Elizabeth Elgin takes you back in time to a place where nothing is certain except love. Suzie and her Jack and the story of their romance against all odds. I hoped as I turned each page it would be alright and I felt the same way as Suzie as I read her story which came alive to me. Cassie who seemed so simlar to me and the other charaters whom I loved.
An unforgettable book one which I will treasure
on 9 December 2001
I am an avid reader, so have read many, many books. But have not yet found anything to beat Elizabeth Elgin. She has a wonderful way of describing characters and places. You feel you are almost there with them. My favourite has to be 'One Summer at Deer's Leap'. What a beautiful story, I couldn't put it down and I certainly didn't want it to end. Please Ms Elgin keep them coming!!!
on 3 April 2000
This was the first Elizabeth Elgin book that I had read and I couldn't put it down. Although you know what will happen it still hits you when it comes and I'm not ashamed to say I cried buckets. A brilliant read and it won't be the last book that I read by this author
on 19 February 2002
Once I reached the WWII part of this book I found it to be an enjoyable read. The author created her characters really well, and wrote with authority on the time and place. However, I was REALLY bothered by the modern day characters, especially the main one. There were so many things that grated - for instance, I know no one under the age of fifty who looks on a glass of sherry as an end-of-working-day treat. I almost threw the book aside, which would have been a shame as I would have missed the really enjoyable 1940's section. This was my first and only Elgin read and I really hope she has stuck to period sagas in her other novels as this is where she shines.
44 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2005
I love this book! The love story was so involving, you feel like you are experiencing everything first hand. For a 20 year old who has never had any experience of WWII, to feel so involved with the characters and the situations was incredible. The way that it begins in modern day and then returns to the War makes it even more engrossing. Quite possibly the best book that I have ever read! ...And as an English student, I've read a few!
on 31 March 2001
i absolutaly loved this book. it is romantic and tender warming. the way susie had loved jack is unbelievebale. i couldn't stop crying. for gods sake just read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1