Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by Mister G

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book
This was a great book to read. Gives you a great deal of information without over complicating the subject. It's a good book to start off with and sets you up perfectly to want to learn more about Stalin.
Published 23 months ago by claire pickering

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for filling in gaps in your knowledge - arguably better for that than a standard, detailed book, 28 Jan. 2013
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
I am impressed. I bought this as I knew so little about Stalin. I normally read full-length books (and was looking for one when I saw this) - I would certainly buy a similar book in future where what I want is an overview to cover gaps in my knowledge. Its brevity is a massive advantage. Despite its brevity, I did not feel that I was reading a dumbed down version - not at all. I am actually pleased that I bought this rather than a full-length book.

I read this book over a weekend. It held my interest - I did not find it at all boring. On the contrary, I found it very interesting.

I was impressed that, even when a chapter ended with Stalin's death, I was only 60% of the way through the book. "What follows?" I wondered. The answer was three very interesting chapters ('Stalin's Historiography', 'Stalin the Man' and 'De-Stalinisation') and two appendices - 'Key Players' and 'Stalin Timeline'. Those chapters reinforced what I had already learned from the book and therefore aided my learning. The structure of the book, therefore, is in my opinion excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars As it says, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
The book does exactly as it says: gives you the basic information on the subject so if, like me, you know very little about Stalin, this gives you the background info. It's a pretty terrifying read too, when it clearly spells out one of the greatest atrocities of the last century.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 23 Jun. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone be so evil, and yet so revered., 8 July 2013
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
As with other History in an Hour books, this was concise and to the point, without lots of unnecessary padding and pointless facts.
It gave an immediate impression of the tyrant, and the almost hypnotic hold he had on his cronies (they thought), and the Russian nation as a whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for anyone interested in stalin?, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
The book's great for giving you an overview of Stalin and does offer a good insight into the man who ruled the soviet union. It also gives you various subjects to go off to research further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basis, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
I was able to get a good overview of Stalin through this book so it does what it sets out to achieve. It has provided me with a basis for further study. Easily read and well set out.Will look to purchase more of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalin, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
I like the idea of History in an hour books, I think they are valuable as a taster for larger works on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalin; History in an Hour, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
Excellent little book. It acquaints the reader with all the historical facts that make further reading of the subject a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
A good insight into the person,does exactly what it says on the tin.Gave you all the basics about the person.

4.0 out of 5 stars I must learn more about this man named Stalin, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Stalin: History in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be most interesting as it shed light onto a name I thought I knew a bit about.

The book left me with a number of questions that require answering, such as How did he earn his living while he was whipping up . the workers. How did he find his time in prison and what lead him to make some of the decisions that lead to so much harm.

Once I finished reading the book I found a need to learn ore.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›