on 15 January 2014
When looking at the old font of the book cover, I felt sceptical. When looking at the sample pages, I also felt unsure as I was just looking for the part on Asia. But what Barry writes about his experiences at the beginning seem and feel pretty authentic. Furthermore, he is a Londoner, like myself, and reminds me of my own friends. So reading his words are like connecting to my own friends as I never live in London, like him. When I did reach about his adventures in Asia, I was completely into it. It wasn't just the honesty, but it was the particular moments that he chose to write about. It is as though he knows what the reader wants while keeping authentic. I believe that none of his writing is based on any lying, but I would like to talk to Barry to find out how in the world he managed to write this book and keep it so coherent despite being so lagged and drunk. This book is not about that, but you have to buy it to find out. The price is cheap and if you are from London, it is a bonus to get it. You won't stop laughing. Cheers MR BARRY.
on 26 August 2015
Boozing bumbling breast obsessed Barry bums his way round the blue green ball sporting the sign boasting "Mug me, I'm British"
On disembarking at every stop he immediately puts his life and possessions into the hands of the first con man he bumps into. Cue hilarious adventures as our intrepid explorer gets dumped in bum flocked Egypt at every turn.
While the declared focus is to teach TEFL it soon becomes clear that Barry just wants to get laid. Or does he? He passes on women who throw themselves at him with the feeble excuse: "girlfriend back home." Even when this is no longer viable he still passes on the proposition from a Russian "Babushka" (did no one tell you this means grandmother, not chick?) whose chat up line is: "you, me, sex?"
A virgin account of a Trappist monk's two years of celibacy, this book contains frequent references to "firm" breasts but absolutely no sex, infected with spelling mistakes despite having been proof read.
Still I liked it, hence the 5 stars.
on 11 July 2013
Honest and funny, a real man's tale of a real adventure, makes you want to pack your own bags and leave tomorrow.
on 27 April 2014
I initially rated it a 5 because it's a n excellent first book to write and I confess to much sentimentality - listening to a conversation between our intrepid traveller and his friend from Watford (where I currently reside), in the very bar I met my wife. I have also been to several of the other places covered so it is good to get another perspective.

I think it is more about travelling than teaching although both are covered equally and I have often discussed the possibility of teaching abroad with a friend.

Highly recommended 4.5
on 23 September 2013
I came across this book whilst browsing on line and Im so glad I gave it a try. Its an honest , sometimes funny account of the authors time spent teaching abroad whilst travelling. I really enjoyed it.. Theres a lot more travel in the book than I expected and some of the characters we meet along the way add to the overall flavour of the book . Some of the schools he taught in were very different to our schools and it made pleasant and informative reading.
on 7 July 2015
When I started this book I absolutely loved it. I could actually picture all the places the author was writing about. I did think it was one of the best books I had read in a long time.Unfortunately after I got to 70% of the book it went downhill and I didn't enjoy the last part as much or the friends he was with. The train journey from China to Russia was very boring and uninteresting. Such a shame as it started so well. I would still recommend this book
on 5 March 2015
As someone who is seriously considering TEFL as a career, this was an enlightening account of the highs and lows of travelling abroad. From just reading Barry's experiences I want to pack my bags and try my luck out, even the dangerous elements sound intriguing to me. I commend Barry for writing such a candid account of his TEFL experience and I'll continue to follow his progress by reading his blog. This is a must read!
on 8 August 2013
Barry O'Leary provides an entertaining insight into the world of TEFL. Obviously this is just one guy's experience, but what an experience he had!

This isn't a book on how to teach English, but a telling of what one man got up to on his travels.

It does stall a little in places, but on the whole it's fairly fast paced and gripping.
on 4 September 2013
I finished this book in a couple of days, it was such an enjoyable read. Barry has written an honest and engaging book about TEFL but also about traveling in general. It is funny, open and inspiring. TEFL teachers and travellers alike should give it a read!
on 14 October 2013
Loved this all the way through. It gives a view from a guys perspective the challenges he faced and a few tips along the way. Honestly has made me want to pack y bags and go. Only a good read if you are interested in adventure and teaching along the way.