Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Colour: Metallic Red|Change

on 30 October 2012
I've lost count at the number of toasters I've got through over the years, some fancy, some basic, some would warm, some defrost, some with a stainless steel case, some plastic but they all have had one thing in common, they didn't toast....

... And only realised none of them toasted since last year when the dualit arrived..... all this time i've put up with machines that just don't work.

Its an odd thing to try and describe, I can't put my finger on any particular reason why the dualit is different other than to comment that since it's sat neatly on the worktop its been used several times everyday whereas before the toaster would rarely be used more than once a fortnight.

Perhaps some plus points might help to describe why its a proper toaster.

* It takes most sizes of bread ( from Morrisons instore multigrain to sainsbury's batch - both huge slices)
* controls are simple, somewhat retro but feel good and they work
* consistent results which enables more accurate settings from my memory
* Toasted sandwiches in toaster bags - slots wide enough to take a decent filling

Having had the machine for nearly a year it has not stopped making great toast and has been 100% reliable.

In operation, each slot has a sprung bread holder which widens if you prefer toasted doorsteps (or sandwiches / half a currant bun).. to check the toast whilst 'cooking' just pull up the lever... the elements stay on. the rotary dial for each half is marked from 1 to 8 , and there are four steps between each number (which suggest there are 28 different settings - (theres no 0)) in the centre of the rotary dial is a cancel button. the other two buttons are for defrost and one that only operates one side of the element - if you like your toast half done.

It's light and immediately out of the box this gave me the impression of not the best build quality.... though as soon as the controls are used its quality seems better and after a year I can't fault it..... other than I couldn't find the crumb tray for a while and was convinced I had to hold the unit upside down & shake it to get the bits out... I should have read the instructions!
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2010
After our Russell Hobbs toaster started to throw the bread back at us without even trying to toast it, we realised it was time to invest. We'd always liked the idea of Dualit toasters, but thought we'd miss the pop-up function. Problem solved now - this is a solidly built toaster which, thus far, works without a problem. We particularly like the way you can lift the toast out to check its progress without cancelling the program. And it is really great when you can support the country by buying British-made goods!
22 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2011
I bought this toaster after my original Dualit toaster died after about 20 years. I chose this one rather than another classic Dualit because I was tempted by the new fangled features like wide slots and a button for bagels. And I thought that Dualit are a good brand and I could trust them. What a mistake. Good toast, cooked fast so that it's crunchy on the outside and doughy in the middle is probably the best food every invented: bad toast, cooked slowly and all dried out or black on one side and pale and soft on the other, is fit only for the dustbin. This toaster doesn't have enough elements so it's slow, and it seems to cook only one side of the toast unless you use the two middle slots and switch both sides on. I knew there had to be a reason why it was so much cheaper than the classic one. Why oh why did I fall for it. For the sake of balance I'll mention that it does seem quite solidly built and looks good on the worktop but Dualit if you're reading this, it's not enough.
33 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2011
I read the reviews for this product and as they were mixed, I was not sure if I should purchase one. I did though and have found it to be very good. It looks well and makes great toast WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT !
on 15 April 2011
Very good quality toaster, defrost, good control of 'browning' levels, bagel (one side) toasting, and a good crumb tray (always handy).
Deffinitely worth the money.
on 1 June 2014
I selected a Dualit toaster because of the imagined quality, despite the many ‘customer complaints’ about the operational performance of Dualit toasters listed on Amazon. There seems to be a trend among buyers that the style factor outweighs the reliability. For this reason I decided to take the risk. But my quad toaster short-circuited less than 6 months out of warranty, and so only half of the toaster functioned. You would expect an £80+ toaster to last more than 18 months but when I contacted Dualit I received this comment: ‘it is unfortunate that you have had to be one of the people to have had an issue’.

I was offered a 36% discounted price on a replacement. When I challenged this disappointing response it was raised to a 40% reduction, meaning that I could now spend a further £56 to get back to a fully operational toaster! I quoted to Dualit the stats on the Amazon site, having noted that 46% of the star ratings at Amazon were '3 or below'; so almost half the purchasers who commented were dissatisfied. A significant proportion of those (40%) scored their experience with their toaster at 1 out of 5. Quoting these stats made no difference to Dualit’s willingness to solve my problem, and I can only assume they are happy to leave customers dissatisfied as well as disappointed.

Like those many others, I think I have learned my lesson - don’t get toasted by Dualit!
on 28 January 2012
smart, well made, easy to use, and a third of the price of the full-strength Dualit. Cannot see why you'd pay any more
on 14 November 2011
For many years i envied friends with a Dualit toaster... At the time WAY OUT of my price range.. could never justify spending so much on a toaster. After my Russell Hobbs toaster, that had served me well for donkey's years coughed, spluttered and died, imagine my delight when just on the off chance i asked Amazon if they had a Dualit toaster in my price range? They sure did! So i bought this one. I say again..DREAM COME TRUE.. looks elegant, love the colour, love that you can pop up the toast to check it without actually having to cancel the program, bagels,english muffins,thick or thin cut home made bread, hot cross buns, frozen option for all of the above!Yes, it is more expensive than say any value brand of toaster, but boy what value for money this one is! This is the toaster that will still be going strong 10 or 15 years plus from now! Well worth the wait and i know i must seem sad, getting excited about a toaster but this one does "toasted sandwiches" too with the help of a cage that slots right in to the toaster... Hey presto... toasted ham and cheese sandwich! love love love it.. you will too!!!
on 9 March 2012
I was very disappointed with this toaster,especially as it cost more than double of my last one. Each slot toasted the toast differently even though on the same setting. i was expecting setting 2.5 to be ideal but one slot burnt the toast.
on 3 November 2010
After struggling for ever with cheap alternatives that ended up in the bin, what a treat. At the opening of the package, it had a quality look and feel. On using it, the controls and levers had a sturdy, business-like quality. It toasts perfectly and quickly, allowing you to lift the toast to check, without cancelling the timer.
What a difference. The previous cheaper toasters were false economy and a frustrating waste of time.