Format: MP3 DownloadChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 May 2013
I may be a bit too old and bald to show my face in a club any more, but I do love my Trance, so I bought this budget collection at £1.79 on MP3, thinking that if I found half a dozen tracks that I liked, it would still be a bargain. What a surprise I had, the artists may have been new to me (no surprise there), but there is some good Trance music in this collection, with surprisingly few tracks that had me reaching for the skip button on the MP3 player. Just don't go expecting Armin Van Buuren and the like, for this price!! This is the latest offering in a series of MP3 albums with this title, which start off at £1.79 and then creep up to the £7.50 level. Reviewers of previous albums have commented that they get to feel a bit 'mass produced and samey' after a while and this is true to a certain extent, with just a few really stand out tracks in each compilation. However, if you are looking for a reasonable background music experience whilst at the gym or whatever, they do work well.

The shortest track is around 5 minutes and the longest around 9.5 minutes (plus track 49 is a 1 hour remix), so you don't get short changed with nasty chopped edits and the bit rate is 'acceptable' at around 220 to 256 kbps. (Why Amazon doesn't just do everything at 320 kbps these days is beyond me). FLAC quality would be nice, but I am not holding my breath on that one. Also, how about including a pdf booklet in the download, instead of the rubbish low res. single jpeg that we get now.
I am not going to pick out my favourites, because what I love, someone else will hate, but I am sure that any Trance fans will find something of interest on this compilation and how can you go wrong at the price? This is not just quantity over quality though,and I would suggest you try it before Amazon realise that this collection is just too good a bargain at the price. It made me go and look for other tracks by a few of the artists! You get nearly 13 hours of Trance in this compilation and I was surprised at how much of it I enjoyed, because these collections usually contain a huge amount of dross, not so with this one. My biggest dilemma has been deciding which tracks to leave out when I write it to a CD for playing in the car, as I do not want to drop the bit rate to squeeze it all on to 1 CD. If I have one criticism, it is that too many of the tracks have an irritatingly similar intro in the first 15-30 seconds, it is just a shame that the artists could not think of an interesting and fresh way to bring their tracks to life from the start - still, I can't write or play music so perhaps I should stop moaning about that!!

**** Take note - there are 3 compilations with this name - I have reviewed the one with a release date of 02/01/2013. Amazon are using reviews from all 3 compilations as one review item (which is a little bit naughty I think!!)

I have bought the other two compilations with release dates of 19/08/2011 and 30/11/2012 and have to say that they too contain a reasonable number of decent tracks from lesser known artists, but the price on these has gone up , so be warned!! Check which release you are buying as the 2011 compilation does not have an extended mix on it (well not that I have noticed so far). I have still found plenty of tracks on these two earlier compilations that I like, so I don't regret buying them and would still be happy to give them 5* . If anything, I think that the two earlier compilations do not suffer in quite the same way from 'samey' intros to the tracks.

UPDATE - There are another three compilations available in this series, dated 02/08/2012, 12/05/2012 and 17/12/2012, which I have not heard yet, so my review still only covers the first three that I have mentioned.

Hope you try it and enjoy!!
on 16 March 2013
Wow! I thought it was a mis-print but apparently now. £1.79 for 100 quality trance tunes?! Insane! I thought i'd risk it even though i hadn't heard of any of the tracks/artists, and i'm so glad i did. Most over 6 minutes in length, plus an hour long DJ mix which is pumping. Proper old school hands in the air stuff this, you won't regret downloading it!

I still can't believe the price for such quality trance tunes - if you're like me and have been longing for some tracks that take you away, melodic, pumping, anthemic, pure trance classics like they used to be before cheesy vocals took over, then this is the download of the year for you my friends.

Get it before the price increases and spread the word!

Amazon, THANK YOU! You've made me a very happy person today! :)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was very pleasantly surprised by this. For the ridiculously low price, I expected that all the tracks were going to be the result of some poor Dutch bedroom trance producer churning out repetitive unimaginative trance tracks to pay the rent, but in fact there's some decent stuff in here. None of it is really stand-out, and obviously there's no famous stuff and no future hits on there, but it's not awful. There are some tracks where if somebody had played them to me and said "that's a track off the new Ferry Corsten album", I'd probably have believed them.

It's almost completely instrumental. Instead of listening to 100 trance tunes in one go (which I think would drive even myself a bit mad), I split it up into five twenty-track 'albums', each one of which is a good album to put on while I'm working on something. Because it's instrumental it's not too distracting. It's all at pretty much the same steady tempo and, amazingly, none of it is particularly irritating.

It does all sound like it could have been produced at any time in the last 15 years, but then hands-in-the-air-style trance has been stuck in a bit of a timewarp like that anyway.

"Letano" by Oxygen Shadow is my favourite at the moment, it has a bit of a darker side.

Having expected to sift maybe two or three half-decent tunes out of a large pile of awfulness, I'm happy to say that I'd probably listen to every single one of these 100 tracks again. But not in one go.
on 1 April 2013
A 100 Trance tracks for the price of 2 single tracks
Whats not to like
I was a bit dubious about the sound quality as other cheap 50-100 tracks albums have had bad reviews regarding poor sound quality
I downloaded a 2 hour continuous mix only to find it was in Mono ??
But no worries there pure stereo and sounds great with my Ipod hooked up to my 5.1 sound system
There is one continuous mix track but would have preferred more but for the price can't complain
I'm sure any budding DJ's could do a lot of good mixes with this
Would buy again if they bring out a Vol 2
on 20 March 2013
I couldn't believe the price for this! At 1.79 you get 100 trance tracks. Some do sound the same or similar but it's the kind I like to listen to. You're going to get quite a few you do like for the price and there is some brilliant ones in there. I'm sick of buying the ministry of sound type albums as they often contain many tracks I already have on other compilations even ones that are years old.
on 27 March 2013
you get 100 songs for that low a price. As others have said they're not the top producers in the genre but they're all pretty decent enough and the productions are all a pretty decent quality
on 1 April 2013
Really like this, very upbeat and makes me want to dance along to the music.
Says something as I am officially classed as and OAP.
on 27 March 2013
100 tracks for almost £2, seems like an absolute bargain. I think it is.
If you are looking to bang out some trance tunes with an extra helping of bass this is the album for you (beware it is almost 1.5gb to download!)
I'll admit, yes the tracks are ambiguous due to the sheer amount of them and the seemingly random names, but this is forgotten when you just shuffle the album and listen to endless awesome slightly hypnotic music.
This is definitely worth it if you like techno or trance. Why not, it's almost the same price as a big hot chocolate (with extra cream and marshmallows!)
It will have you jamming to the glorious 12.9 hours of music it provides!
on 14 July 2013
Certainly cannot complain for 100 tracks for less than £2 which as a buyer is excellent value for money. However I do have reservations about selling music so cheaply which I can't help thinking devalues music - and how much are the artists getting?

Still, some nice tracks here - not all great by any means and many of the tracks lack imagination and just follow the same old theme of big synths, breakdown then piano synth combo with the same tired chords. However I can heartily recommend the compilation.
on 11 April 2013
I'm always on the lookout for decent big dance complilations that I can use for a bit of casual mixing using my Numark Omni control and that can chuck on a loop when working out.
All too often I find a large % of the album filled with the same old commercial cheese (MOS shame on you...)

This fits the bill nicely. Good quality reasonably hard trancy-house tunes most of which I haven't heard on other compilations.

At this price it's an absolute no brainer.

Well done Amazon!