5.0 out of 5 stars The characters stay with you long after the last page
This is one of those rare books which made me really upset when I finished it.....Buchan has a gift for pinpoint observation of human joys and sadness. She also manages to lighten sadness and trouble with wit and humour. My favourite author of the moment.
Published on 12 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Boo
slightly boring...not what I thought it would be about...I suppose for some one who likes more historical would be good.
Published 15 months ago by Cheri Chancellor

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters stay with you long after the last page, 12 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Lilly, Elizabeth Buchan, 24 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Audio Cassette)
Cosider the Lily is a great book with in depth descriptions. Its about a womans journey through life dealing with not being able to bear children and also knowing about her husbands unfaithfulness, about a woman whos treated more as a cheque rather than a wife.But above this she forges her way through her life by excluding herself from it, taking herself to her secret gareden.A great book which is a must to read. Buchan has created a great atmophere in which to set this romantic saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully English, 10 Nov 2007
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Paperback)
I loved this book - it's amazing. It has all the components of a great read - there are joys and sorrows, unexpected twists and a bit of mystery... And, above all, the book is very English - delightfully so. All those gardens, a grand house, gentry and servants, horses - mmm... Loved it. By the way, can anybody tell me, who Harry was? I'm afraid I didn't get it.
All in all - a great book, very subtle, classy and unforgettable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Lily, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't get into this book at al, nothing seemed to happen so I gave up. it may get better but it didn't grip me enough to continue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boo, 21 Mar 2013
Cheri Chancellor (Spanaway, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider the lily, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. The combination of an old family secret, a new bride and a neglected garden were too strong to resist.
They kept me enthralled right to the very end, in fact I was sorry it finished.
Definitely one to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
Like her style and makes easy reading. I feel that the author knows alot about the feeling she describes. Brill

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing., 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
I am not a gardener, so some of the horticultural references were lost on me, but the story also evoked the period of the 20s, with its house parties and cars, which I love. You need to sustain attention to keep up with the narrators time travel, but I have recommended it to gardening friends, who say the flower references are cleverly done. We all found it totally compelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy Elizabeth Buchan books which are usually well written and engaging and this was no exception.Set post WW1 it was the story of an impoverished chap who marries a wealthy woman in order to save his house and inheritance despite loving another woman.The only slight criticism I had was that I thought the main character was a bit too forgiving!

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Lily, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Consider the Lily (Kindle Edition)
It kept me interested all the way through although I admit I felt a bit shortchanged at the end. I thought the story might move further forward. Perhaps the author is leaving that for a sequel! I like the way the "gardener" compares flowers with people and events.

Consider the Lily