TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2012
Reviewers are all correct to say this tablet is cheaper elsewhere. You have to remember that Google's Nexus is a direct competitor with Amazon's own Kindle Fire HD, so it is not surprising that Amazon will not price it competitively or favourably with the Kindle Fire. Actually full marks to them for stocking a competitor's product at all!

There are loads of online reviews that lead me to purchase the Nexus 7 in preference to other options so I will not dwell on comparisons with other products.
My experience out of the box was of a high quality bit of kit. The dimpled non-slip back with the NEXUS logo keeps the device from slipping if you use the device on a tabletop, or your lap and looks classy. The touch screen is beautifuly smooth and responsive , and whilst the screen is not a Retina display as in an Apple product, it is HD, vibrant and sharp, and lends plenty of depth to the visual experience. In fact I never thought I would watch a full length feature film on a device this size, but it come loaded with Transformers 3 Dark Side of the Moon, which ran flawlessly, and listening through my AKG450 headphones it was an immersive cinematic experience - I was very impressed.

The sound quality when played through the internal device speakers is okay but hardly stellar. If you are serious about your music, you will have invested in a decent pair of cans or earbuds to improve your experience. No headphones are included. My headphones are good mid-range ones, and the audio reproduction is very good, improved by using either the device's own graphic equaliser or downloading one from the "Play Store". I downloaded EQualiser for free which has several presets as well as 5 sliders to set your own custom levels. I did notice with my older Sennheiser earbuds that the volume output seemed quite restricted and certainly some headphones that require more power to drive them will benefit from an in-line headphone amplifier. I use a FiiO EO5 mini headphone amp, purchased through Amazon for about £15, which I have reviewed separately. The AKG phones are sensitive and don't really need the amp, but I swear it still sounds better with the amp connected.

I mostly download my music from Amazon MP3 store and have also played from the Amazon Cloud, this works well, I just had to remember to go into the settings to manually refresh the cloud to see my latest purchases. I guess that is what I find attractive about the Nexus and the Android Operating System, I am not tied to one Media retailer, and my music will play from the standard windows media files already stored on my PC and ripped from my CD collection without any time consuming conversion. I can just connect the Nexus to my Laptop/PC with the included USB to Micro USB cable and drag and drop my music (or pictures or any other data) to the Nexus or vice-versa.

A plus point is access to many thousands of Android Apps, many of which have been developed by 3rd party developers. OK so many apps are configured to run on smaller screened smartphones, and are merely upscaled - but that happened with the i-pad initially too. I suspect that the Nexus being such a volume selling platform, it will be a target for masses more optimised Apps in the near future.

Something to bear in mind if reading US reviews of the Nexus 7 is that "Google Now" which learns from your habits such as travel and web-browsing to think ahead and provide you with traffic updates etc does not currently work well in the UK although it promises to be an interesting development if supported properly here. As a dedicated e-reader I think that the original Kindle is actually very hard to beat, but reading the included Jeffery Archer tome on the Nexus was very comfortable . Google play does offer a good range of Classic Novels for free. Interestingly I never did get the promised £15 credit on the Play Store - not sure why.

One gripe. Sometimes I have to hold the power button in for up to 20 seconds before the device turns on. Other times the response is almost instantaneous, most of the time it takes a press of between 3 and 8 seconds before the power comes on. It seems this is fairly normal, and is not too much of a worry, but some consistency would be good.

The wi-fi only nature of the device is not quite as limiting as you might expect with so many free wi-fi spots around now. As a BT Internet customer I have an App to connect to any BT Hotspot for free which is great. Alternatively I can use my Smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot when it has a good 3G signal and I have used the Nexus to connect to it which pretty much as good as having built in 3G.

Battery power is great. I have used the device for music and movie playback and web browsing for 5 hours solid and the icon showed half the power remaining. Full recharge takes only two hours. Much better than my HTC Smartphone.

I find that because the tablet is highly portable but provides a bigger and more comfortable device to web browse with than my smartphone, it is now the device I use all the time for most of my on-line leisure activity. It is also quicker and more convenient to use than my laptop but I would not draft letters or do much document work on it - that is not what it is for. I use it a great deal more than I thought I would. The screen is smooth and responsive and I find the size a good compromise between portability and useability..I do not think that I would so readily carry a 10" tablet around, wheras this will slip into a large inside jacket pocket, and not take up much room in a handbag/manbag.

I paid £189 for the 16GB Nexus at Currys and am well pleased. It seems that now a new 32GB device is going to retail at £199. Knock yourself out and go for that one (Just remember you can get it cheaper than here). I have no storage issues since I can transfer stuff easily to my laptop, but there is no on board expansion option so buying the bigger capacity is bound to give you some degree of future proofing.

UPDATE:15/12/2012 - Still very happy with the tablet...I find that I hardly use the laptop at all now as the Nexus and a Smartphone cover most of my computing needs except for a couple of letters which I needed to draft, and the subsequent printing of them using the laptop.

I have just updated the device to the Jellybean 4.3 Operating System...which took about 5 minutes. I have not noticed any differences from the 4.2.2 Update which had made the interface a little more user friendly, giving you a quick access to your commonly used settings by sweeping down the screen with your finger, and giving you access to Music Purchases from the Google Play Store.

For those who have asked - the BBC iPlayer works flawlessly with any Nexus that has been updated to Jellybean 4.1.2 or higher. Flash content will not work, which is annoying, but I have not got around to researching a work around. Just "Google" if you want to know if particular services work with the Nexus...there is a large user community out there willing to share their experiences...which is another reason why I think this makes sense as a purchase.

The tablet in this 16GB format is now available at around £159 so represents even better value for money, but as I said above 32GB does give you a lot of future proofing for £199. I have around 500 songs and 40+ apps on board and I am using less than 4GB of memory. I stream the movies but if you prefer to download a lot of them then you probably would benefit from the 32GB version. In any capacity the Nexus is very popular and now supply problems seem to have been sorted out make sure you shop around for the best deal.
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having owned the Nexus 7 practically since the release date, I have thoroughly gone through every aspect of this little gem. Probably this was, and still is the best 7" tablet!!
The accessories for the Nexus 7 are still on the increase, and it is holding its price very well. The revolutionary form factor makes it so easy to use single handed.

Google has really nailed it... and the competition when it comes to practicality and affordability. Now I own various tablets, iPad air included, yet I have spent far more time using this tablet than any other.

The form factor and slim lightweight design means that it still is the most portable tablet on the market. Vibrant colours and a speedy processor make for a very pleasant experience. Google apps are really catching up with Apple's. Compatibility with third party hardware and pricing should serve as a wakeup call for Apple!!

Die hard iPad users might not like this review, yet let's be honest, how on earth can one justify the price difference between this device and a similarly spec iPad. As referred to earlier, I too have the iPad, and I love it as it does have certain unique features and lovely Apps, even though I am not really fond of the ageing icon layout. The Nexus screen on the other-hand is fully customisable to suit your taste.

There are many other android tablets hitting the market on a daily basis, but what sets this particular tablet apart are:

✓ Responsive 7.02inch, 1920X1200 IPS screen (323 ppi), delivering stunning image quality
✓ Zippy Qualcomm Snapdragon(tm) S4 Pro processor clocked at 1.5GHz with an Adreno 320 graphics processor which handles gaming seamlessly. (Major upgrades to the older Nexus)
✓ 2GB RAM which is more than enough to handle the most demanding of applications
✓ Long battery life. Up to 9 hours of continuous use
✓ Near field communication (NFC): Enables NFC devices to establish radio communication with each other by bringing them into close proximity. No entering of codes is required
✓ Wireless Charging support via any Qi charger
✓ Portability and form factor
✓ Aggressive pricing

I will not delve into the specs of this little gem, as these can be easily viewed on various websites. After all specs mean nothing unless they translate into a user friendly experience, which can be only appreciated when handling the tablet.

All I can say is that the Nexus 7 is a pleasure to use, with very fast loading webpages and applications. It definitely is a premium tablet and will win the hearts of many!

I love the Nexus 7 to bits!!! Just hit the buy button.... You won't be disappointed!!
on 22 November 2012
I was given one of these for my birthday (much hinting involved), and it's a fantastic bit of kit. The funny thing is, although I wanted a tablet, I never realised just how much I would use it. It's definitely the most useful bit of tech I have.

So, I'm going to be quick about this review. It's a nice sized tablet, very convenient. Fits in the back pocket, just, and not too heavy. The screen's terrific quality, and perfect for watching YouTube, looking at photos, etc.

Network connectivity and Bluetooth are excellent. I use with regular wifi, Bluetooth equipment, Android phone hotspot wifi and they all work fine.

It has a standard micro USB connector which makes it handy for charging in the car, house, office, etc. In fact, this was one of the main reasons for choosing this over the many tablets that have proprietary connectors. Also handy to be able to plug into to a computer for copying photos, music, etc.

Works a dream with great apps like Skype, Spotify, Dropbox, Gmail, Kindle, BBC News, Google Maps, Adobe Reader, etc. -- all of these make it very useful in business and personal life. You can get client contact details, navigate to their office, or have a video conference on Skype, talk through some docs on Adobe Reader, listen to music and read a book on the way... it's all very seamless.

The GPS and Google Maps are brilliant, though you will need to have a wifi hotspot on your mobile so it can get data while you're on the move. However, the quality of the app is extraordinarily good, and it syncs your maps from the browser and phone versions. In other words, you can add a route, or a place on your phone or on your PC's browser, and it will make it available in Google Maps on the tablet.

In fact, on that subject, syncing between all the Google apps is fantastic: Contacts, Agenda, Maps, Gmail, all sync between the online, mobile and tablet apps. Add a contact through Gmail and it's on your tablet / phone within seconds. It even syncs browser pages. If you are looking at a page on your Chrome browser, you can tell it to sync to your tablet so you can see the same pages there. Neat.

Of course, one of the nice features is the Chrome browser. It's got a cunning feature that lets it work in mobile or desktop mode. Normally it requests the mobile version of sites if they have one, but if you click the "Request desktop site" box, it gets the fully featured desktop version. Sometimes this means that the links, for example, are a bit small, but it has a cunning auto-zoom if you accidentally click on two links at the same time that are too close together. It quickly zooms in on the links so you can click again on the one you wanted. Nice feature.

Needless to say, there are also countless games, quizzes, crosswords, etc. and apps for just about anything you can imagine.

The downside: the first tablet I received had a fault where the screen would flicker but only when it was dark and wifi signal was really low. I rang Google (Yes! An actual person on the end of a phone!) and they sent out a replacement straight away along with a reply-paid envelope to return the faulty one by courier. That kind of service is brilliant.

Disappointingly, the replacement tablet also had a minor screen problem, whereby images were "ghosting". Rang Google again, and sure enough they sent out another replacement and another reply-paid courier envelope. They explained that the early models had a few production issues!

Some people might be put off by this, but for me I found that level of support entirely comforting. The idea of just ringing Google for a replacement sounds preposterous, but it's true, and they are obviously keen to make sure that everyone gets a decent service.

One final comment, soon after getting this, it was being used constantly by my gf. The solution: I got one for her, and she uses hers all the time too, albeit with a very different set of apps!

In short, I'm utterly impressed by this bit of kit, especially for the price, and amazed at just how useful it has become.

UPDATE 06/01/2013:
Well, there's now a third tablet in our household (!) and we're all mightily impressed with them still. The early quality problems appear to have been resolved.

I've added loads more apps of course, including BBC iPlayer (which is superb quality, and very watchable) and GTA 3 (great fun and easily as good as the PS2 version!). Apart from work stuff, I hardly use the PC or laptop now, choosing the Nexus 7 for all my day-to-day email, Skype, browsing, etc.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 September 2012
Got this tablet for birthday and it is just amazing.

Screen is very sharp, good colours, auto brightness works very well. I watched Transformers on it in HD and the video was so sharp. 7 inches is perfect for reading books, viewing photos, movies on the go, facebook, email and casual games. It can be easily held in one hand which is a great thing. For more serious movie watching 10inch would be better but for taking it to train to watch some movies on way to work/home 7inch is perfect. It is better on the go because of smaller size and weight.

Touch. Very responsive, records touches instantly, it is not the laggy Android 2.2 or 2.3 that I seen before. The touch experience is iPad 3 class.

Performance. This is most smooth Android experience I have seen, really the Android 4.1 goes in par with iPhone/iPad now. Apps work very fast, games too. Just N.O.V.A 3 is not so fast, I thought it will work better. Multitasking works well, apps sit in background and can be switched easily.

Play store. There are numbers of apps and increasing collection of movies to rent, also an impressing collection of books to buy.

In any aspect Nexus 7 is a really great tablet. Currently it has better operating system than iPad - it has widgets, live wallpapers, interactive notification bar, adaptable application layouts. Just the price at Amazon I high, you can buy I for 199£ elsewhere.

UPDATE
OK so I lost it. My wife has taken it over from me ultimately, and she says she loves it and cannot live without it anymore :D Have to look for another one.

UPDATE
Still very happy with it, there are new really good looking games that came out recently, like Wild Blood on Unreal engine or Need For Speed Most Wanted.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 November 2012
I have been using the Nexus 7 for about 10 days now and have found it a very positive experience. I also own an iPad 2 which is a good tablet but I have always regarded the iPad as a device for home use only. I wouldn't consider for one moment putting it in a bag and lugging it around with me - it's too big and too heavy. Also I am not exactly a fan of Apple's restrictive practices when it comes to selling media and it is unlikely that I will buy any more Apple tablets. I much prefer Android. In any case for real portability you need a 7in tablet and in my view the Nexus 7 is arguably the best around at the moment.

I won't go over ground covered in other reviews, other than to say that the Nexus 7 was simple to set up; connecting to Wi-Fi was instantaneous and I have had no problems with my Wi-Fi signal wherever I happen to be in my house. The Nexus 7 has been reliable and it has performed flawlessly. Jellybean has proved to be a fast, responsive and slick operating system. Screen resolution is excellent. Battery life has been OK. I get at least a day from it and often two, but obviously it depends on how much time you spend using the tablet and what you are doing.

Currys are currently selling the 32gb version of this tablet for £199 (which is where I bought it). It comes with a £20 cashback deal via the Asus website if you buy a case at the same time. Currys misinformed me about this, telling me that the cashback applied to the tablet on its own and that it was not necessary to buy the case as well - so I didn't. In fact you do have to buy the case and both transactions have to appear on the same sales slip. However, before opting for that I would suggest checking Curry's cases and only buying a case if it comes with a built in magnetic strip with the sleep and awake function. The reason for this is that the on/off button in the Nexus 7 is positioned on the side towards the back of the tablet and it is difficult and fiddly to access once the tablet is in a case - it doesn't matter which case; if the tablet is held as securely as it should be the on/off button will be hard to access. One case I can definitely recommend is the one from Mofred which Amazon sell for under £10. It is stylish and expensive looking (much more so than Amazon's photo would suggest), well-designed, holds the Nexus 7 very securely and comes with a magnetic strip. The sleep/awake feature works every time. It comes in a wide variety of colours including black. Here's the link:

There are obviously loads of apps you can download but for video and music playback I can recommend the following:

Video: mVideoPlayer (Old) or MX Player. If your videos are organised into folders both apps will recognise these. MX Player has a slightly plainer user interface but the quality of video playback seems better (a subjective judgment of course). Get the older version of mVideoPlayer - the newer one seems to have some teething problems. The Nexus 7's built in video player offers separate tabs for Movies and Personal Videos but will only present your content in a single flat file with all videos listed in alphabetical order.

Music: MixZing Basic. This app will allow you to view your music by Artist, Album, Songs, Genres and Playlists. I use playlists a lot- this app allows you to add items to a playlist and then change the order of those items within the playlist as you please. All of these apps are free. The built in music player incidently will recognise any playlists set up in MixZing (but does not allow you to create them as far as I know) and actually has a more attractive interface.

TV: BBC iPlayer is available along with BBC Media Player (but no other catchup services). TV catchup - this free app gives you live TV across the whole Freeview platform with something like a 45 sec lag behind broadcast TV). It works very well which it did not do in early versions of Android OS.

Audio quality on the Nexus 7 is very good provided you use a half decent pair of headphones or earbuds. The Nexus 7's speaker is awful and best disregarded.

I haven't really used the stylus so can't comment except that I did not find it particularly helpful as an aid to keying in data - it seemed no better than my fingers.

As a Google Chrome user the only real problem I have had is in syncing my bookmarks to the Nexus 7. Try as I might I have not been able to get them to sync in the normal way (my iPad seems to do it with no problem at all). This is not an uncommon problem apparently. The only solution I have found was to download a free app called CMarksLite. This syncs my bookmarks and you can access the bookmarks and go to bookmarked pages via the app. I actually thought this failure was quite poor considering that the Nexus 7 is Google's own tablet.

So how does the Nexus 7 compare with the iPad? Well, in my experience and all things being equal, the larger the screen the more comfortable the user experience. Web surfing and data entry are definitely easier on the iPad and I would use that for preference at home even though I hate the process of syncing with iTunes. With the Nexus 7 you trade some of that ease of use for its sheer portability and convenience. Out and about I would always use the Nexus 7. It really is a very good tablet indeed and at its current price probably represents the best value for money in 7in tablets you're likely to find.
on 27 September 2012
Firstly I just want to say I have had this tablet for a week and already I am very impressed with it. I owned the third generation iPad but sold it and got the nexus 7 instead because I had an android phone and after the iOS 6 fiasco I decided that maps and YouTube were too important to me so I dropped apple.

Set up was quick and easy, glad to have Google maps and YouTube back. The size of the device I thought was going to be a problem but after a week I feel that a 7 inch tablet is great and just right, I can hold it in landscape or portrait with one hand.

The £15 credit from Google play that you get for free is just another example of how great Google is.

android has come a long way and with Jelly bean and with project butter I would say that in terms of us ability it is on par with iOS and just as fluid.

If you are thinking of getting this or the Kinfle fire HD I would say get the Nexus 7
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 December 2012
Update 2 - It has been six months and I've added one star, mainly because Google hasn't updated its software again. The apps manufacturers have caught up with Jellybean and most stuff now works - even the BBC iplayer works OK - on which I listen to radio plays a lot. It's main strength though has been its ease of performance on Skype. We've got a second one for my 90 year old, lively, mother, programmed it to receive Skype calls and then leave it on all the time. When we call from abroad, all she needs to do is press the green camera icon and it all works. It even goes to sleep on its own when we hang up - so she doesn't need to. It froze once (not sure why) but most times it works for days without trouble.

But for all that, my Samsung phone using Gingerbread is still more user friendly and gives me more control over what I want to do than this tablet does.

(A small aside for those who want to download BBC podcasts and get really annoyed that it doesn't seem to work on Android Jellybean. Instead of tapping the icon once, tap and hold. A new menu comes up (just like right click on laptops) with the save link option and it will download the file happily.)

Update - On 13 December, the BBC iPlayer reappeared on Google Play - around one month after the Google update which wrecked it last time. It seems to work - so I'm adding a star. But my main concern (see below) remains. If you have THE most uptodate operating system on your tablet expect quite a lot of apps not to work for a while.
- -----------------------
Original Post

I'm old: got an old phone (Nokia E71); still use a Netbook with Windows XP etc, etc.
But even I'm willing to experiment, so the Google Nexus 7 was my first tablet.(Bought elsewhere, I'm old - not daft).
If the experiment with the 7 worked, I might even have upgraded my phone to a Nexus 4.

As a tablet pure and simple, the Nexus 7 is lovely. Gmail works a treat, and Chrome is almost as good as the one on my netbook. Skype works well - as do the usual Google goodies such as Earth, Maps, Local and so on. Ask Google gets answers more often than not. Even its voice recogniser recognises what I say - sometimes. Its GPS is the fastest I've ever seen. And you can expand the memory (mine was a 16GB) with an app called Nexus Media Importer, a memory stick, and a wee cable from Amazon. Can't even fault the wifi.

But the thing about tablets is: they're only as good as the Apps that you want, that actually work on them. And since the upgrade to Android 4.2 in November (Nexus 7 users on 4.1 are pestered to upgrade) three of my key apps don't work anymore - two have even disappeared from Google Play when accessed from the Nexus 7.

The geeks will tell you it's all the fault of the app developer for not keeping up : BAD BBC ! BAD British Airways ! BAD Aeroport de Nice! BAD any site that still uses Flash (ie most of them) etc etc.

Or they say 'you can can make an app work by sideloading this and then doing that' etc etc. Very helpful to geeks - not decrying it at all - it might even work, but most oldies (well I at least) don't need the hassle.
(Sorry: 'Geek' here simply means tech savvy in the year 2012 - not a pejorative term)

If Google keep 'upgrading' its operating system every couple of months so as to negate the work the app manufacturers have already done, the latter will focus their limited efforts on where the best return is to be found. Right now it seems, it ain't Android 4.2.

I'm told the same problem happened last time there was an upgrade to Android. As for next time - to 4.3 or whatever ? Who knows!

So for me, for now, it's BAD GOOGLE !

Some will find the Nexus 7 great - It plays games beautifully (Solitaire and Sudoko are addictive - just they were on my Palm ten years ago) and there will be far more exciting ones out there for sure - but if you want to use BBC iplayer, the British Airways app, and lots of others apps for oldies, beware : you just might find it failing rather a lot after one of those updates, or the words 'Your machine isn't compatible with this App' appearing more often than you'd like.

That old phone I have? It still runs the BBC iplayer, I can still download podcasts and more maps than I can keep on the Google ( we'll forget its awful gps performance for now). Above all, it still has Flash - so all those Flash based sites still work.

So, my tablet experiment with the Nexus 7 is a marginal failure for now. It may become a super all round machine by 2014 - and I will update this report - but will I be buying a Nexus 4 phone anytime soon ? Nop !

For now, get something that still has Flash or be prepared to wait a month or so for the apps to update.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 November 2012
The Nexus 7 is an absolute bargain at only £159! It does everything a mini i-pad will do but at less than half the price. My primary reason for buying the Nexus 7 was its size as I wanted a small tablet that would slip easily into a small handbag. And the Nexus fits this profile easily....it's the size of a small paperback book and is actually smaller and lighter than my diary. Not that I need my diary anymore....it's become somewhat redundant as the google calender is excellent and so easy to use. Therefore my diary is gone and I now have a tablet that is sooo much more. In fact it's a mini entertainment system and internet portal all rolled into one! I'm not really a techie person so I won't bang on about the spec of the Nexus so apart from the size and portability here are the key features of the Nexus that I love:-

1) Instant access to the internet when on the move. It's wi-fi only but that's not a problem. I have BT Infinity Broadband at home and that gives me access to thousands of BT hotspots when out and about. But what about when I'm not in a wi-fi hotspot? Again not a problem! My phone contract is with Three and I have an unlimited data contract with them. I have a Samsung Galaxy Mini phone that is a budget phone but can be set up as a mini wi-fi hotspot to tether the phone's 3g signal to the Nexus 7 - so don't pay an extra £50 for the 3g version of the Nexus - simply tethering your phone's 3g is so simple and means you can take full advantage of your data contract with your mobile provider when using your Nexus! I've never been unable to connect to the internet when I wanted....either through a wi-fi hotspot or 3g tethering! And the 3g tethering is excellent...I've happily watched Netflix via 3g tethering with faultless screenings of Dexter!

2) I'm loving having instant access to Netflix and Spotify when out and about! I basically have a library of all the music in the world and a huge catalogue of film and TV available at anytime, anywhere! Not to mention BBC i player and all freeview channels via an app! Amazing! And the nexus 7 is a great size screen for watching movies and is crystal clear. The built in speakers are ok...but a bit tinny... as in all mobile devices I'd recommend using heaphones for music and movies. The sound is excellent with my basic set of sony ear buds that I use when out and about.

3) I've downloaded a few audio books from Audible. And using my Bluetooth connection on the Nexus and in my car...I can stream the audio books via my car stereo. Ditto with all my music from Spotify! Soooo simple to do but gives me audio books and full library of music when in the car!

3) Books.....the Nexus comes with a few few books downloaded....and it works fine as a e-reader.....maybe not as easy on the eyes as a kindle reader....but still fine.

4) For work related tasks it's brilliant. As I said before the Google Calender is great and can be used when offline. There is instant access to gmail.....and the keyboard is a good size for replying to email....much better than on a smartphone or i-phone. And the Nexus opens and reads word documents and pdf's with ease....dead easy when out the office. I wouldn't want to type long reports or letters on this....but that's not what you'd buy a tablet for anyway! But for reading docs and doing the odd e-mail...it's great!

5) 16gb memory is more than enough. You can buy an OTG (on the go) cable for a few pounds on amazon that allows you to connect a USB stick....so you don't really need to pay extra for the 32gb version.

6) Loads of apps and games. I'm not really a gamer so won't comment on this....other than angry Birds that is very addictive! But google maps and navigation seem to work well....although not really tried them out much as I have a Sat Nav in the car. But there is a handy app pre-installed that tells you of any traffic problems on your commute to work!

The Android platform is very intuitive and simple to use and the Nexus 7 is quite simply brilliant! £159?!? Can you afford not to get one?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Our household owns Ipad 2 (not 3 or mini), Kindle fire and Nexus 7. I'm the owner of the nexus 7.
All three are great machines. The new Ipad mini's twice the price of the nexus and kindle but the performance increase doesn't honestly warrant the price hike.
We're a household of software/web developers so we bought the "full" set of hardware so we could test on each platform.
I'm really enjoying my Nexus and have used it for several hours each day. The base difference between it and the Kindle is that the nexus came with a cable to charge from mains electric. It cost sis an extra £20 for that on her kindle.
I'm sure there are other issues over which is fastest etc, but they're not something we've noticed enough to demand a change.
So generally, I'm very pleased with my Nexus and my sister and her husband are very pleased with their kindle and ipad. Go with what will give you the biggest buzz to own. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Specific to the Nexus, I found the usb cable (at approx 1m long) is too short, especially if you want to keep it plugged into the mains while using the unit. I also bought a case with a hand strap which makes it more comfortable to hold the unit for extended periods of time
on 30 October 2012
I find my Nexus 7 the perfect solution and already wonder what I did without it. I find it much easier to use than the larger tablets on the market as it sits comfortably in your hands. The number of apps available from Google Play is amazing. When I bought mine, Google offered £15 credit to spend, which more than covered all the apps I wanted to upgrade to the paid version, rather than using the free advert supported or limited function versions.

Initially I had a problem with the sensitivity of the screen. It became less responsive after using some apps. However this problem was solved with the last Android update.

Battery life is good whether browsing the net, watching videos or using apps. One slight niggle, the lead that comes with the charger is rather short, but it can easily be replaced as it plugs into the charger using a USB socket.

I've found the Wi-Fi reception to be better than my PS3, 3DS or Adell Laptop as I can stream video in rooms that I can't get a signal on with the other devices.

Negatives? Like most tablets, there is no support for flash, although sites like BBC are now offering alternative media sources. Recharge time could be better, but not an issue if you remember to charge over night.

Overall, an excellent value product for the web and much more. I haven't used my laptop in over a month of having my nexus.