5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my Nella Last collection
With my obsession for all things concerned with the WW2 domestic homefront I had to have this book as an addition to my other Nella last books, especially as we lived in Barrow a few years ago. Although large parts of the book are repeated information from previous books, there is enough new stuff to make this worth reading and there are also new photos.
Published 14 months ago by Mrs. H. Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Diaries of Nella Last
Published 20 months ago by J. A. Percival

3.0 out of 5 stars Diaries of Nella Last, 8 Nov 2012
J. A. Percival "book wight" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed with this new edition: much of the background detail from Broad and Fleming's edition is missing so there's hardly any detail about Nella Last's budgeting and scrimping, food prices, cooking, housekeeping and general 'dodges' - and this is surely what makes her diaries so unique. It also misses out interesting happenings such as the arrival of the premature baby and the way Nella coped during the dreadful 1940 winter. There's also an irritating lack of the word 'the' at the beginning (admittedly a minor moan). Granted, there's far more background and different material but I don't think this improves the selection: Nella Last's strengths were her ability to keep house, cook, budget, cope and make do on a small amount of money, and although the Malcolmsons retain just enough information that new readers can get the general idea of how she operated, they also miss out a lot of useful information on the difficulties of cooking and housekeeping during the war years and postwar austerity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my Nella Last collection, 16 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff but something missing?, 7 Oct 2012
D. C. Gowans (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for the new wartime material, having read and enjoyed the previous three volumes. However, there seemed to be an inordinate number of articles missing which made the text jarring and slightly incomprehensible. I left a review here about this, and said that it didn't seem to be Nella's style (compared to the previous volumes) to leave 'the' and 'an' out so abundantly. One of the editors then left a message to say it 'definitely was her style' to do this. I still stand by my observation though and wonder why I have never noticed this in any of her other writing - particularly the original wartime diaries (published in the 1980s), which would have been written at the same time. Has anyone else notice this?

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD INSIGHT INTO WOMENS WAR, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Diaries of Nella Last: Writing in War and Peace (Kindle Edition)
Although I have never read these books before I feel like I have joined the story halfway through, I could not buy Nella Lasts first bock as it was unavailable on kindle so I feel that this book is heavily edited and doesn't give you a real feel of her relationship with her husband and fellow wvs workers however that said I have enjoyed the book and it has given me a lot of insight into what war was like for women although I think Nella lived in a very middle class world that was a vastly different experience to that of my mother in the land army overall a enjoyable book

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 22 Jun 2013
Am totally fascinated by Nella Last. Have read all previous books and although parts of this book I had already read in the other three I still enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations of a normal person through the 30s, 40s and 50s, the decades which really changed the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 20 April 2013
An interesting story in so many ways.
Her writing blossoms over time and the minutae of the entries gives an insight into life for ordinary people during these years.
One is constantly surprised by views that we rarely see remembered elsewhere in documentary or fiction never mind biography.
The task of the editors must have been mountainous but we get to feel that we know the woman and her worries.
the only regret is that this edition does not cover the period when her son is wounded.

5.0 out of 5 stars More insights from the pen of Nella Last, 30 Dec 2012
Wyn Grant "wynp" (Leamington, England) - See all my reviews
The diaries of Nella Last have been a great discovery and there is a lot more material to be uncovered. It is unfortunate that she did not live to see the posthumous fame which she achieved. Her ambition to be a writer was a realistic one. In many ways her life was an unhappy one: trapped in what was essentially a failed marriage and with an uncertain relationship with her gay son who emigrated to Australia to become a sculptor (whether she recognised he was gay is unclear, although there are hints that she did). But for all these family difficulties, and against a background of austerity and hardship, she made the best of life, drawing solace from the beauty of the Lake District and her cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Housewife 49, 30 May 2014
I watched the film on television and enjoyed Victoria Wood's performance. Having read the diary it gives far greater insight to Nella Last. They should have made a short series rather than one film. A memorable read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 20 Jan 2014
Item was just as it was described, I appreciate the fast delivery, item was well packed, good seller. Many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Started well but got a wee bit samey, 30 Mar 2013
I enjoyed the first 3/4 of this book, but I am sad to say it became a bit weak at the end. Having said that I am still glad i bought it.