on 26 October 2013
For the price this is great. Sadly the software contains an adware virus so I only give 4 for a printer that deserves to be a 5. The adware virus is in the Nuance-soft OCR (optical character recognition) software. Brother why do you allow Nuance to include adware just to get OCR software on board. I removed the software and removed the adware and loaded the driver and scan software from the Brother site. Google Nuance OCR and adware to see other reports or adware and Brother.

Once I loaded the scan and print drivers from the Brother site I think this is amazing. PS I use cheap non Brother toner cartridges from Amazon and it works a treat. The scanner is great and the wifi feature is the best.
on 9 May 2015
Its ok, but not brilliant. Too many glitches and twists for my liking
Printing, WHEN it comes out, in the right place on the page, is very good, the trouble is, especially when using the manual feed, it rarely does.
It is often printed wonky because it doesn't pull the page in straight.
1 - default Ink setting unnecessarily high 600dpi, when 150 dpi is all that is required, to alter it, you'd need a degree from NASA..
although the lowest DPI is an ink guzzling 300dpi - double what you need.
2 - Toner cartridge has a counter on it, so will show empty even if it isn't (Google videos on how to reset)
3 - Manual feed is grossly inaccurate and doesn't print horizontally. 3a will only take 1 sheet at a time. 3b and only thin 80gsm paper
4 - Following the regular manual feed paper jams, the document then prints from the paper tray, before you can insert another page into the manual feed tray.
4 - Setting up the scanner defaults is almost as difficult as setting the DPI for the printer
5 - when scanning images the brother 'control' centre (should be controlling centre) opens every document in the preview window - It cannot be set to NOT open scans.
on 3 May 2013
The printer is Ok wireless connectivity a little confusing, your given three choices of connecting but one choice is solely for a different printer. Upon setting up the printer to perform wirelessly a problem occurred were scan to PC was not connecting & eventually giving a notice of connection fail, despite being connected. I uninstalled the software & deleted devices, but for some un-known reason devices by this time 2 dcp-7055w printers installed would not delete in Windows 7. ie dcp-7055w printer & dcp-7055w (1) I eventually resolved this by doing a system restore & re-installing the software again, which resulted in two installed printer once more, but at least scan to PC was configured & worked.
Another point worth noting is the printer is listed as white colour, I can only concluded that the person responsible for the listing is colour blind as the printer is definitely light grey colour.
Lcd screen is awkward to read, & inputting info for the printer password keys for wireless internet etc is a slow & drawn out process.
I just hope now it is connected it performs to a good standard & keeps connectivity, only time will tell.
55 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2014
perfect product for the price, easy to use and set up, quality no problem, quiet and fast print cheap to run
on 17 May 2015
Very nice machine. I bought for home use because I only print documents so having a "normal" printer with the small expensive ink pots didn't seem to make sense, and the ability to print colour isn't required. The cost per document is also a lot less with this machine. It prints real fast too.

The other reason for buying was for wifi connection (I appreciate this is quite normal now for printers) and it connected real easy. I used the WPS system to connect to the router and it just nailed it. Very slick. Incidentally it does not come with a usb cable if you do wish to use the usb connector - you gotta buy one.

I like a lot.
on 10 May 2013
I recently purchased this printer and have been plagued by constant problems with it. The machine is not fit for purpose and how Brother can remain in business is beyond me.

1.The manual feed doesn't work and makes the printer unusable. 9 times of 10 the page doesn't get pulled in by the printer at all - it doesn't detect the paper and if you try to print it will just say paper jam. This is an absolute nightmare - I have had 3 brand new machines and ALL of them did this from new. Also, when it does work, it NEVER pulls the paper in straight and you get skewed prints. The manual feed being totally useless is not something that can be ignored as you can ONLY do double sided printing manually.

2. There are so many annoying things that I don't know where to begin. If you select Auto-select for the first page printing in preferences, and select 'same as first page' for the subsequent pages and then try to print from the manual feed, it will only ever print the first page from the Manual feed and will always ignore what you've selected and print from the tray for the subsequent pages.

3. Whenever I print any images on the high quality setting (1200dpi), the pages come out almost completely black and totally saturated with toner and the image quality is terrible. I can't print above 600dpi if the documents have any images in them. It's absolutely ridiculous. I spoke to Brother's customer services and even showed them what was coming out from the printer and got them to test their own printer themselves and they had EXACTLY the same results... They were totally incompetent at trying to fix the issue and when they didn't know what to do just said that this is within their normal acceptable limits??? They then insisted that the printer is only meant to print text (despite me being able to print images on 600dpi just fine??) and if I need to print any documents containing images I should get an inkjet printer??? What is the point of having a 1200dpi HQ setting when it basically can't be used for images or graphics?? Their customer services are a total joke.

4. The LCD screen is terrible - I've never seen such a nasty hard to read display - it's unreadably faint from most angles and changing the contrast doesn't help in any way.

5. Entering Wi-Fi passwords etc. using the control panel is a nightmare. Using up and down arrows to input the entire alphabet, numbers and symbols is a joke and takes forever.

6. I had to clean the drum of every machine I bought from new, as I found they all needed cleaning straight out of the box - all 3 machines / drum units were giving black toner saturated pages with lines across the prints before cleaning the drums units.

7. If I try to print envelopes in word, it never does what it shows on the screen setup. It takes several wasted envelopes every time to print an envelope as the orientation and even the side being printed on is TOTALLY different to what is displayed on the computer screen. The drivers / software for the printer needs complete rewriting and doesn't appear to have even been tested by anyone.

8. Also - when printing envelopes, you have to make extremely fiddly and hard to reach adjustments inside the rear of the machine - it's absurd to have to do this every time you want to print something as simple as an envelope?? Who designed this printer??

I can go on and on... there are countless issues with this printer. This is my first Brother purchase, and I will never ever buy Brother again - this printer is badly designed, badly/cheaply manufactured and has incompetent software/firmware. The customer services are totally useless and incompetent.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2015
I've had this printer for three weeks now, and have been really happy with it (especially for the price). It's quick at printing, the quality is good and the running costs are a huge improvement on the inkjets I've used up to now. The machine is a little bigger than the ones I've had previously, but fits nicely on a shelf below my desk. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it doesn't look great, so if you don't if it's going to be somewhere on show you may wish to consider something that looks a bit smarter.
on 14 October 2013
works well, easy to install and means we can have it on a separate desk so it does not take up room, would totally recommend, wish I had got one a long time ago!
on 10 March 2016
Very good machine. Only let down is that the LCD could do with being back-lit. One up-side of a WiFi printer is that you can stick it away in a dingy space-saving corner, but with this machine I have to remember my wee torch.
on 16 July 2014
It work just perfect, very ship to maintain as toner and cartage are separate which it make it much more cheeper than other machines and is some simple that have less chances or part to break.