5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear N750 Premium Edition (DGND4000).
I received this product a few months ago as a Free Beta unit to test functionality and usability.
I found it extremely easy to setup and use and it done everything as expected.
Speeds were good over WiFi and LAN and ADSL connection speed was good (better than
my BThomehub2 connected to BT Internet) The Interface is easy to log in to with most browsers...
Published 19 months ago by EastcoastPC

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flexible router, spoiled by a major firmware bug
Since I initially posted this review , I've been experiencing some issues. I've added my experiences onto the end of the review.

====

This router can be connected to the internet using either Ethernet (for connecting to a cable modem, for example) or ADSL. This means it should work as a replacement for virtually all wireless routers, regardless of...
Published 22 months ago by Peter

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a wireless router when the wireless doesn't work (and useless manufacturer support), 18 July 2013
This review is from: Netgear DGND4000-100UKS N750 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Accessory)
A few months ago my old Netgear DG834Gv4 started to show its age when I had some ADSL drops and my ISP indicated was nothing to do with them. So I borrowed a friend's DGND3300v2 while I considered my options. In the end it came down to either the Netgear DGND4000 or the Netgear D6300. I went for the DGND4000 as it was cheaper and I don't have any 802.11 ac WiFi kit (plus the standard hasn't been ratified yet).

The DGND4000 arrived and I had it all up and running with my various preferred tweaks in no time. There is a wizard option when you first switch it on, but I bypassed it (and the patronising message) to configure everything manually. Whilst the web-driven front end is easy to use, I didn't find the breakdown of Basic and Advanced tabs to be particularly useful. So I just stuck to the Advanced one and generally found what I wanted to change pretty quickly. I also used the Netgear Genie app on my iPhone/iPad, but it's pretty basic and you're more often than not better off just firing up a web browser to get anything done.

Like other people have commented the WiFi signal strength didn't seem to be as good as my old router, but it still managed to cover the house OK. Plus I now had the 5GHz/n range to use and so could move some of my WiFi devices onto that. Out of curiosity I had a play with the ReadyDLNA/Share stuff where you can plug in a USB stick/drive and allow the router to share media out to your devices. It seemed to work fine, but I wouldn't use it long-term as I already have a NAS for that sort of thing. That aside I didn't really use stuff like the quota system, QoS stuff or the guest WiFi networks. Generally everything seemed to work how it should.

So why the low rating? After a few days I started to notice that my various WiFi devices would not connect, even though they could see the SSID(s) fine. Annoyingly the only way to sort this problem out was to power cycle. As this is a fairly technical product then I decided to contact Netgear for support, as if I just sent it back to Amazon then a replacement may come from the same (non-working) batch as I'd seen some references to online. I ran though a few tests with Netgear and during this I discovered that when the WiFi seemingly didn't work, if I switched on a device wired to the router (like my Mac), then it would all start working again! Netgear decided that the router had a hardware problem and so organised an RMA (which I had to pay to send back!). The replacement router arrived and I was suitably surprised that it appeared to be a brand new shrink-wrapped one and not a refurb.

Unfortunately after a day or so I discovered that the replacement router also suffered from the same problem of WiFi not being available after a few hours of having no device connectivity. At this point Netgear were stumped. I became increasingly annoyed at Netgear seemingly ignoring any mention of logging/diagnostics on the router and their continual insistence that I run Wireshark captures and tell them what WiFi adapter/firmware/drivers I am using. More than once I'd pointed out that two previous routers in the same position worked fine with the myriad of WiFi devices in the house. The last straw was them asking me to run a Wireshark capture "...until the disconnection". Given that I hadn't complained about (or experienced) a disconnection, then running a capture that would probably result in a significantly large file did not endear itself to me. So I contacted Amazon who then authorised a return for a refund. So I now find myself back in a worse position of a few months back in not only trying to select a new router but having had to pay Netgear for an RMA delivery.

Edit: After this I got a Netgear D6200 which had exactly the same problem. On that router Netgear identified it as a firmware bug, though they didn't seem interested in providing a fix. So I sent that back as well and have ended up with a Linksys X3500 which seems to be working OK so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid firmware bug, very annoying, 11 Feb 2013
I bought this to replace some 6 year old kit that was getting a bit creaky, and having wasted most of my weekend trying to get this thing to work properly, I have returned it and have gone back to the old kit.

While many things appear to work quite well, there is a significant bug relating to the "wireless isolation" features. Bottom line, this device blocks access to LAN connected devices (a printer and NAS drive in my case) to computers connected to it via the WiFi, making it next to useless for anything other than browsing.

I spent most of the weekend changing settings, resetting, reloading the firmware etc in an effort to overcome this. I discovered that changing unrelated settings (i.e. the isolation settings for the guest wifi) caused changes in the isolation settings for the main wifi. Even then, the system was flaky and inconsistent, with one work-around (setting up the guest wifi as the main connection with full access settings, and ignoring the main wifi) working for an hour before stopping for no reason.

It is unacceptable to ship a router with such buggy firmware, especially when asking £100+ for it. A £30 router I recently bought as a 3G access point works just fine (see my review if interested), this does not.

Perhaps the worst part is that the Netgear forums show a discussion started back in July 2012 for a DGND3700 (the N600 little brother of this one) describing exactly these problems, and nothing has been done by Netgear in the intervening 6 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashes every day and requires a power on power off, even after a software upgrade, 6 Feb 2014
I previously had a Netgear wireless hub but bought this one as I wanted the parental control features. Unfortunately this hub freezes once a day and requires a power on - off cycle, even after upgrading to the latest software

2.0 out of 5 stars Its not better than any cheaper Router, 5 Dec 2013
First of all i had this Router now about 6 month.
I find that router is cheap build, for this price range i expecting better quality.
The most important thing was for me wireless range,which is not good at all.
The third thing what i recognize is that wifi is dropping way to often .
Then you have to wait about 2 min get the signal back. This issue happen with all my wifi devices.
I would not recommend this Router. Netgear used to build good quality products and i never had problems with them before.
But now i think they are trying to sell cheap product overpriced to make more Profit

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't handle airplay between wired and wireless, 18 Sep 2013
This router would be fine but for two fundamental issues:

A known bug which means if you have wired airplay speakers they won't appear on an ipad most of the time.

The wireless signal is good but the throughput is hopeless, maxes out at about 20mbit/s.

Netgear technical support is totally hopeless. Avoid this model as they have no plans to fix the firmware.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice kit, 2G & 5G, and lets you setup guest network in minutes!!, 18 July 2013
Stylish designed router with both wireless 11g and 11n protocols.
Took 10minutes to setup.
The android app is simple and could be better, but lets you setup a seperate guest network in minutes - I like this because you can personalise the network for guests (e.g. by their name) and limit it to be active for the duration of their stay.
The ability to setup a cloud storage which can then be accessed remotely from anywhere is nice, but registration and access isn't as as easy as other devices I have used before.
Whenever I have diverted from buying another Netgear, I always return, knowing that the products really do what you need them to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good router once you manage to set it up, 17 May 2013
It took a while to get the router to work. The manual says that you have to just hook it up via either ethernet for a wired connection or a DSL cable for a wireless connection (I'm using a wireless DSL connection.) Upon powering it up and wiring it up, I used the ADSL/phone microfilter that came with it and plugged it into the BT one that I have. Don't do this, as it won't work. Just use the microfilter that you already have (the small, usually white, box that your phone line and DSL cable plugs into.) You should have one, provided you are using this router to upgrade your router from an old one.

The manual says that once the connection has been established on the router (it takes about 1 minute for all the lights to come on,) that you should go onto your computer and open a browser window, and the router's "Genie" page should appear. For me it did not appear, and this was the main problem that prevented me from connecting initially. If the Genie screen does not appear for you, download the Genie from http://www.downloadcrew.co.uk/article/28011-netgear_genie and install it. I used this one to connect as the one that it said would appear on a browser page did not. Once on the Genie, use the usernames and passwords shown on the back of the router to connect to your wireless connection and/or wifi.

The router seems to be working fine for now. I haven't had any problems after getting it connected. Some of you might get it working pretty much instantly if you're lucky to not have a firmware bug or if you have the Genie appear automatically. Good router, but be warned.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - but no better than any other N300 router, 8 May 2013
I bought this but sent it back as it held no benefit to me at all. The 5GHz signal is certainly weak but can hold higher speeds. Unfortunately for me, it was just too weak to maintain a connection. the 2.4GHz signal was exactly the same strength as my existing DGN2200. I'm sure for some it'll be great as it does have some good features, like Time Machine support, 2x USB ports and gigabit ethernet. Also be aware, its quite large!

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to be sent back for replacement., 6 May 2013
I had this model as an upgrade from the N600. After 1 day it froze and to get it working I had to reboot.I got in touch with Netgear everyday over a period of 3 days and eventually I got put through to level 2 technician and he said it had a hardware problem and to exchange it,which I did. I have had the replacement one for just a day and at the present time everything is OK and it hasn't froze or anything; touch wood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great range, 2 Mar 2013
Richard C. Mearns (Aberdeen Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Had it for several months now and absolutely great. Can access from all over the house without a problem. The ability to attach an external hard drive and access wifi is superb.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›