5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear N750 Premium Edition (DGND4000).
I received this product a few months ago as a Free Beta unit to test functionality and usability.
I found it extremely easy to setup and use and it done everything as expected.
Speeds were good over WiFi and LAN and ADSL connection speed was good (better than
my BThomehub2 connected to BT Internet) The Interface is easy to log in to with most browsers...
Published 20 months ago by EastcoastPC

Published 2 months ago by R.A.M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear N750 Premium Edition (DGND4000)., 1 April 2013
This review is from: Netgear DGND4000-100UKS N750 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Accessory)
I found it extremely easy to setup and use and it done everything as expected.
and is set out nice and clear. Getting into the advanced settings is a doddle so you can setup port forwarding
and other custom settings if you wish. Help tips are available if your not sure.
During the test I had a new Firmware update to apply, this updated without any problems and only took a few moments to complete.
So overall not a bad bit of kit and for the price well worth it.
If your looking for something that's not going to cost a fortune and still gives you plenty of features/configuration that sometimes
only found in more expensive routers, then this is for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Netgear support awful, be warned you risk being left completely without help if you suffer problems with their devices., 9 Oct 2014
R.A.M. (Surrey, UK.) - See all my reviews
I received this router as a gift and from day one it had an issue with the wifi. If run only on the 2.4ghz band it is stable enough but if the 5ghz band is also enabled the router crashes every 3-4 hours. Having googled the problem it is a known issue and even mentioned on the official Netgear support forum, where there is a mention by one customer of a beta firmware which fixed the issue for them.

I contacted Netgear support to ask them for a copy of this firmware, but my request was completely ignored and instead I was asked for a proof of purchase. When I told them the router was a gift and I didn't have the receipt they point blank refused to help me in any way whatsoever. All I was asking for was help, not a refund nor a replacement even, just help with their faulty product!

To me this policy is a complete disgrace and I am now left with a dual band router that can only be used on one frequency. To add insult to injury if I turn off the wifi at night to save power and keep my network safe it enables both wifi bands by default when turned back on in the morning! I then either have to log into the router to disable the 5ghz band again or face another day of constant crashing.

Netgear I can honestly say out of all the companies I have needed support from in my life you are without doubt the worst and I for one will never even consider buying a product of yours in the future. Customer service like this, or rather the complete lack of it, is just awful and beggars belief.

What a pity Netgear don't follow the truly excellent example set by Amazon, whose customer service is truly excellent.

If I could give this faulty router and terrible Netgear customer service minus 10 stars I would, my advice is avoid at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great router, flawed manufacturing on some units though., 2 Mar 2013
G. M. Fisher (UK) - See all my reviews
Edit: I have had to edit my review, this is the third router where the 2.4Ghz spectrum started to fluctuate speed wise, when picked up and moved you could hear a metal part rattle inside the router, it appears there are some 4000's from a bad lot also there was glue stuck on the inside of the perspex front which marred its finish, not what you expect for the price.

I am sure this router is good but quality control stops me from recommending it now, its a shame as I had high hopes for this router. Netgear need to fix quality control.

I Bought this to replace a DGND3700v2 which does not have 128mb ram as suggested by Netgear's info page. So far the DGND4000 has better range over 5Ghz than the previous router, it has got 3X3:3 skyfall aerials and power amplifier for that side. The 2.4Ghz is great and I get good throughput. Oddly the 2.4Ghz led is dimmer than the previous model. Only gremlin so far is I cannot see computers connected via Ethernet, which it has 4 Gigabit ports for from wifi devices. This is a known bug also with the 3700v2, not surprising since the same company SerComm built the router and wrote the code. Hopefully this will be sorted in the first update to this routers firmware as its still on the initial version. No issues with my iMac, iPad 4 iPhone 5, Sony KDL-40HX853 TV, PS3 and a HTC Sensation all operating at the same time, its fast and so far seems stable. It syncs much higher on my ADSL2+ line than my very old DGND3300v2 I had a few years back thanks to the Broadcom 6361 dual core 400Mhz chipset and once FTTC hits this area since the router can be hooked up via the Gigabit Ethernet cable or fibre port.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flexible router, spoiled by a major firmware bug, 7 Jan 2013
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since I initially posted this review , I've been experiencing some issues. I've added my experiences onto the end of the review.

====

This router can be connected to the internet using either Ethernet (for connecting to a cable modem, for example) or ADSL. This means it should work as a replacement for virtually all wireless routers, regardless of the type of backhaul. I have been using it connected to a modem via the Ethernet WAN port.

Aesthetically, it's not pretty. It has a bizarre copper-coloured strip down the front, and it's quite a basic rectangle, with a thin black plate sticking out at the front (on the right edge). The LEDs are all green or blue, and are in a thin vertical strip. There are wall-mounting holes as well as a stand.

Setting the router up was reasonably straightforward. You connect your computer to the router, open up a web browser and click a few options. There was a little hiccup initially, because it happens to use the 192.168.0 /24 class C network for its LAN (local network) by default, and I connected it to a network with the same address range on the WAN interface, which does not work. Had it not been for this, setup would have been virtually automatic, but as it is, I needed to choose the "setup the network yourself" option, and choose a different LAN subnet. You can download an app called Netgear Genie to manage your internet connection (there are versions for Android and iPhone/iPad as well as computers).

For some reason, the admin password (the password you use to make changes to the router) can only be changed in the "advanced" menu; perhaps the default of admin/password is considered to be sufficiently secure. If you want to reserve a particular IP address on your LAN (for a server, for example), that's in the advanced menus too.

The Wi-Fi radios seem to work well. Rather than choosing what variant(s) of the 802.11 standard you want to enable, Netgear instead asks you to choose what "up to" speed you would like. In the 2.4GHz band, you choose if you'd like up to 54Mbps, 145Mbps or 300Mbps, and you get 802.11b/g/n; in the 5GHz band, you get 802.11a/n, and you can choose between 54, 217 and 450 Mbps. In both cases, the fastest option runs on a wider band (40MHz instead of 20MHz) with up to three parallel data streams in the 5GHz band, which is good if your devices support it, but your neighbours will be more likely to suffer from interference on their Wi-Fi setup. I would have liked to be able to disable 802.11b, because it has known performance and potential denial of service (DoS) issues; turning it off is not an option with this router.

As far as Wi-Fi range is concerned, it seems as good as my Asus wireless router. 5GHz signals get absorbed fairly quickly in walls, so I'm using a 5GHz wireless access point upstairs as well as the Netgear router downstairs. The 2.4GHz signal gets all the way round the house no trouble at all. Using inSSIDer, the Asus seemed to have the edge over the Netgear in the 2.4GHz band, but the Netgear was sometimes providing a better -60dBm against the Asus's -70dBm in the 5GHz band at a distance of 25 feet (and through one thin wall).

Setting the wireless identifier (SSID) and password is really easy: the 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings are displayed on the same page, so you can see everything at once. Security defaults to the most secure method, WPA2-PSK and AES. Insecure WEP is not supported, but moderately secure WPA (with TKIP) is - some client devices may not work with WPA2.

In addition to the ADSL and WAN Ethernet port, there are four Gigabit Ethernet sockets and two USB ports (one on the front, one on the back). The little rubber cover on the front USB port doesn't stay on very well. Using the USB ports you can connect devices for network file sharing or for DLNA media streaming (or you can connect a USB printer to be available over the network). As far as I can see, you can't set up user accounts on the router, so sharing is at the Windows Workgroup level only.

Advanced features include:
- Up to 6 (yes, SIX) guest Wi-Fi networks (three on 2.4GHz, three on 5GHz); you can configure security on them all separately, and you can choose whether to let them access your local network or just get out to the internet.
- Quality of Service (QoS) is supported on the wireless interface, and you can also prioritise internet traffic (for example, you can set up video streaming to your set-top box to have priority over downloading a new game from Steam).
- You can configure the router to email you a warning when you are getting close to your monthly download allowance (assuming have a download limit and your internet provider doesn't do you the courtesy of sending you an email anyway).
- You can make your connected USB drives accessible over the internet (you need to set up a username and password on the Netgear website to enable this).
- You have access to set up "Live Parental Controls" using a feature on the Netgear website: this connects to your Netgear router to block unsafe content, but you have complete freedom to block or unblock what you or your family should be able to see.
- The router can act as a Time Machine, assuming you have connected enough disk space.

I haven't yet tried out the ADSL connectivity of this wireless router.

====

UPDATE, 20 January 2013: I've found an annoying bug in the latest firmware, version V1.1.00.10_1.00.10. The symptoms are:

1) If you use WPS (the button you press to allow a new device to connect to your wireless network), your SSID and wireless password change to random values (this is not supposed to happen if you have the "Keep existing settings" box ticked on the Advanced => Advanced Setup => Wireless Settings page, but it does).

2) Wireless isolation (which prevents connected devices from seeing each other) behaves oddly. Wireless isolation allows you access to the internet, but not to other devices in your home. Since using the WPS button, having the "Enable wireless isolation" box ticked actually DISABLES wireless isolation, except for the management interface to the router, which becomes inaccessible over wireless. If you untick the box, you can log on to the router over wireless, but all your network devices (NAS, media players, other computers) become inaccessible.

I cannot really recommend this router until this bug has been fixed, although if you don't use the WPS button the router works fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good range and easy setup, 19 Dec 2012
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've only used this router for about 14 days now, but I've been very happy with the product. It's got a very good range which easily covers my flat and it's got a nice look and is easy to install (about 10 minutes - and I'm certainly not a pro!).
Will update if I experience any drops or other faults, but so far it works well

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a wireless router when the wireless doesn't work (and useless manufacturer support), 18 July 2013
A few months ago my old Netgear DG834Gv4 started to show its age when I had some ADSL drops and my ISP indicated was nothing to do with them. So I borrowed a friend's DGND3300v2 while I considered my options. In the end it came down to either the Netgear DGND4000 or the Netgear D6300. I went for the DGND4000 as it was cheaper and I don't have any 802.11 ac WiFi kit (plus the standard hasn't been ratified yet).

The DGND4000 arrived and I had it all up and running with my various preferred tweaks in no time. There is a wizard option when you first switch it on, but I bypassed it (and the patronising message) to configure everything manually. Whilst the web-driven front end is easy to use, I didn't find the breakdown of Basic and Advanced tabs to be particularly useful. So I just stuck to the Advanced one and generally found what I wanted to change pretty quickly. I also used the Netgear Genie app on my iPhone/iPad, but it's pretty basic and you're more often than not better off just firing up a web browser to get anything done.

Like other people have commented the WiFi signal strength didn't seem to be as good as my old router, but it still managed to cover the house OK. Plus I now had the 5GHz/n range to use and so could move some of my WiFi devices onto that. Out of curiosity I had a play with the ReadyDLNA/Share stuff where you can plug in a USB stick/drive and allow the router to share media out to your devices. It seemed to work fine, but I wouldn't use it long-term as I already have a NAS for that sort of thing. That aside I didn't really use stuff like the quota system, QoS stuff or the guest WiFi networks. Generally everything seemed to work how it should.

So why the low rating? After a few days I started to notice that my various WiFi devices would not connect, even though they could see the SSID(s) fine. Annoyingly the only way to sort this problem out was to power cycle. As this is a fairly technical product then I decided to contact Netgear for support, as if I just sent it back to Amazon then a replacement may come from the same (non-working) batch as I'd seen some references to online. I ran though a few tests with Netgear and during this I discovered that when the WiFi seemingly didn't work, if I switched on a device wired to the router (like my Mac), then it would all start working again! Netgear decided that the router had a hardware problem and so organised an RMA (which I had to pay to send back!). The replacement router arrived and I was suitably surprised that it appeared to be a brand new shrink-wrapped one and not a refurb.

Unfortunately after a day or so I discovered that the replacement router also suffered from the same problem of WiFi not being available after a few hours of having no device connectivity. At this point Netgear were stumped. I became increasingly annoyed at Netgear seemingly ignoring any mention of logging/diagnostics on the router and their continual insistence that I run Wireshark captures and tell them what WiFi adapter/firmware/drivers I am using. More than once I'd pointed out that two previous routers in the same position worked fine with the myriad of WiFi devices in the house. The last straw was them asking me to run a Wireshark capture "...until the disconnection". Given that I hadn't complained about (or experienced) a disconnection, then running a capture that would probably result in a significantly large file did not endear itself to me. So I contacted Amazon who then authorised a return for a refund. So I now find myself back in a worse position of a few months back in not only trying to select a new router but having had to pay Netgear for an RMA delivery.

Edit: After this I got a Netgear D6200 which had exactly the same problem. On that router Netgear identified it as a firmware bug, though they didn't seem interested in providing a fix. So I sent that back as well and have ended up with a Linksys X3500 which seems to be working OK so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible router, event worse support..., 29 Nov 2013
Worked fine for the first few weeks, then it started losing the adsl connection, and finally it started crashing....once per week to begin with, then once per day, now once per hour! Followed all the (useless) support, including installing the latest firmware, disconnecting all devices etc etc. Have now resorted to the final solution, which involved my boot and a hedge, and have now invested in a quality Asus router!

You have been warned, a really terrible product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear N750 Premium Edition Wireless Dual Band Gigabit DSL Modem Router, 21 July 2013
G. Mcrobbie (UK) - See all my reviews
My BT Homehub2 was OK, but had limited WiFi range in my house. I tried a Homehub3 replacement, but saw no improvements at all. Next I bought the Netgear N750 - what a difference. It worked straight out of the box and eliminated all but one WiFi dark-spot, so I'm very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the D-Link rubbish provided by Virgin, 4 Dec 2012
sigo (London UK) - See all my reviews
Went for this 'premium' priced solution as I was getting fed up being provided non-functioning rubbish D-Link DSL-2640R routers to replace the ageing Netgear DG834G originally supplied from Virgin. Read all these reviews and many others.
In my case, opened the box, followed the instructions and 5 minutes later up and running.
Speeds significantly faster than the previous DG834G.
Would have given 5 Stars except for the slight disappointment in effective wireless distance.
Living in a one level 1900s property, about 45 feet end to end, the signal is very weak if the router's installed at one end.
That said, and this is the point made time and time again, wireless effectiveness depends upon obstacles in between. In my case there are 4 very solid walls.
So, so far so good. I hope this early experience continues and I don't have to revise this review.
Regarding the signal strength, I may simply by a range extender or a powerline booster....but which one?
Here we go again....how to choose?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 21 Nov 2012
Captain Awesome (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel like routers are pretty easy to review, to be honest. It works as expected, was pretty easy to set-up and has a nice range (decent, not amazing) and a couple of USB ports. I expected all of these things as routers that aren't awful have those expectations attached to them.

What's different about this router (and its key selling-points) are that it supports both cable and DSL and is pretty. Cable and DSL support is a big deal, as most routers only cater to one or the other and that can make it confusing for buyers, often leading to the wrong one being purchased.
When I say pretty, well this thing is gorgeous and sleek, too. A lot of this is down to the fact that antennae aren't sticking out, which is probably responsible for the Wi-Fi broadcast range being good but not mind-blowing. However, as long as your house/flat/living space isn't huge, this shouldn't be an issue.

Dual-band (2.4GHz as well as 5GHz) Wi-Fi is getting to be standard these days, but it's still nice that it has it. Newer devices tend to benefit from the 5GHz band and this can, under the right conditions, lead to a more stable connection or higher transfer rates.

Though I've only used this for a few days so far, I've not encountered any of the issues others are reporting. Defective units do unfortunately sometimes end up in the hands of consumers and it's possible that a few people got one from a bad batch.