Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 23 August 2011
UPDATED (see below)...

I bought this router as a replacement for the Linksys WAG160N, which had problems with overheating, as I need a stable connection to view the video from an IP camera I just bought.

I read in a few reviews of the Netgear N600 (DGND3700), the there are some issue with the connection dropping out, which concerned me a bit but I decided to go for it anyway and hope for the best.

It was delivered to my parents' house, so thought I would first configure it for their ADSL Max line to see if it seemed OK...anyway, after entering the ADSL info into the router's configuration page via the supplied network cable and getting a green light on the internet connection, I was surfing at the usual speeds in no time. I got the wireless working in a few minutes too...then...I got a red light...and the connection was dropped...I looked at the router status page and the IP address was

I was thinking of all sorts of reasons for it...could it be noise on the line, the ISP blocking my SSL port? etc, etc but bearing in mind that the previous router had no problems at all when surfing and downloading over port 443, this couldn't be it.

I looked a bit deeper into some of the issues people are having with this router red-lighting and it seems that there is a common thread. Basically, if you are on one of the older ADSL Max lines, then be prepared for patchy connections...some people are going little more than an hour, or at the most a day or two without losing the connection and having to reboot. I am on firmware version V1.0.0.12_1.0.12 and as far as I am aware, there is no patch for this connection drop-out.

The good news is that if you are on one of the newer and faster ADSL2 lines, then the NETGEAR N600 connection is test this out I took it over to my house where I am on ADSL2+ and sure enough, I have not seen the red light once...three days of continuous connection and counting.

As far as the router features are concerned, port forwarding works fine, I can access the router remotely over the internet without a hitch, the updating works as expected when the IP address changes, I can access my USB drive over the internet via FTP or HTTPS, my IP camera connection is stable. The 5GHz wireless connection is fine although the range is poor...and there are loads of other features that I haven't tried yet (which I am sure you either know about or are about to find out about).

If the currently stable connection it is any different over the next few weeks, I will update this review.

So, the moral of the story...if you have an ADSL2 line, great...more than likely this will be an excellent, stable router for you...but if you have ADSL Max, then be prepared for serious amounts of frustration and plenty of calls to tech support.

Good luck.

UPDATED (7th Dec 2011)...

I noticed that there is a new article in the PC Pro magazine (issue 208) that mentions this router specifically. It seems when they originally reviewed it, they gave it top marks but then received lots of emails from readers complaining about the reliability of the PC Pro actually bought one and tried it out (- now there's a thought!)

Basically they found exactly what myself and others have been finding - that on the older ADSL / ADSL Max lines the router keeps dropping connections and can only be recovered by switching the box off and on again. The author of the article noted that things could be improved by connecting to the router via telnet and tweaking some signal to noise parameters (although he didn't mention specifically how to do this), however, these settings only lasted until the next red-light, where they got lost after a power off.

Essentially the final advice was that they would "...fully recommend the DGND3700 as a wireless router if you're on cable or ADSL2+; those of you on old-school ADSL variants are better off shopping elsewhere, or at least waiting for a few months to see whether Netgear solves the problem with a firmware..." but don't hold your breath, as the article noted these issues have been reported on the Netgear support forums since May 2011.

Since I wrote the original review I have not seen any connections problems with my router on an ADSL2+ line - in fact it has been switched on since I got it and has never failed. The only minor niggle I would have, is that the button on the front to toggle the wireless mode on/off does not always seem to work. The trick is to hold the button in for about 5 seconds, then repeat if it didn't work the first time.

Again, good luck!
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2014
Hello, I was using a talk talk router which stopped working as it was a few years old and I had too many devices connected in a large home, the signal was poor too, then just 6-7 months ago I bought a Belkin N600 play max, now that router is supposed to have great range but because I felt the range was soo poor I cut my losses and got this N600 ADSL2 version after reading reviews, most reviewers say this has one of the best signal strengths at this price point so ill give you some simple but thorough test results ive done using a laptop, they will show signal strengh and the first one shows wired speed. (please note Belkin N600 and the Netgear DGND3700 N600 were taken within 10 minutes at 11pm so there wouldnt be too much fluctuation in my line - yes im an extreme tech geek!)

ADSL Wired internet speed
Talk Talk - was always about 7.8mbps
Belkin N600 - Ping - 39, 8.1mbps download speed 0.83mb upload speed (average out of 3 attempts)
Netgear N600 - Ping - 29, 11.3MBPS download speed 0.85mb upload speed (average of of 3 attempts)

Thats a big difference! not sure why but maybe the router is better at clearing out the signal/noise etc,, please remember it may not increase your speed but it did mine

Wireless signal strenth - 10 metres away through 2 walls
Belkin N600 - 2.4GHZ - 3 bars. 5GHZ - 1 bar or no signal, thats abit poor for 5GHZ
Netgear N600 - 2.4GHZ - 4 bars. 5GHZ - 3 bars

Wireless signal strengh - upstairs approx about 25 metres away, plenty of walls(approx 4 walls and 3 stories), furthest room away
Belkin N600 - no signal
Netgear N600 - 2.4GHZ - 2 bars (sometimes 3) 5GHZ - no signal (but it does show up so it must be really faint)

basically we can now watch sky go in our spare room, not like we do but if im ever in the dog house atleast I have game of thrones!

with the Belkin N600 there were several rooms without wifi in the house (tried all the different wirelles channels) now we have the internet everywhere including the garden.

I would highley recommend this router, some people report have signal drop outs, the router does update its firmware in the menu which should help but no guarantees, for me ive had no issues, its been on for 2 weeks, not a single issue on about 4 devices running 5GHZ, 5 devices on 2.4GHZ

thanks for reading and hope your experiance goes well

also just to add someone else mention the media streaming off usb doesnt work, it works fine, basically you plug a usb memory stick or hard drive into one of the usb ports and then you can stream the media, for example some smart tvs can see this as a external media player and play the files, this does work fine, its not so easy to set up but this is not a basic feature, took me around 30 mins to figure it out but it does work and my tv and computer can see the files.
on 2 March 2013
Edit: I have had to edit my review, this is the third router where the 2.4Ghz spectrum started to fluctuate speed wise, when picked up and moved you could hear a metal part rattle inside the router, it appears there are some 4000's from a bad lot also there was glue stuck on the inside of the perspex front which marred its finish, not what you expect for the price.

I am sure this router is good but quality control stops me from recommending it now, its a shame as I had high hopes for this router. Netgear need to fix quality control.

I Bought this to replace a DGND3700v2 which does not have 128mb ram as suggested by Netgear's info page. So far the DGND4000 has better range over 5Ghz than the previous router, it has got 3X3:3 skyfall aerials and power amplifier for that side. The 2.4Ghz is great and I get good throughput. Oddly the 2.4Ghz led is dimmer than the previous model. Only gremlin so far is I cannot see computers connected via Ethernet, which it has 4 Gigabit ports for from wifi devices. This is a known bug also with the 3700v2, not surprising since the same company SerComm built the router and wrote the code. Hopefully this will be sorted in the first update to this routers firmware as its still on the initial version. No issues with my iMac, iPad 4 iPhone 5, Sony KDL-40HX853 TV, PS3 and a HTC Sensation all operating at the same time, its fast and so far seems stable. It syncs much higher on my ADSL2+ line than my very old DGND3300v2 I had a few years back thanks to the Broadcom 6361 dual core 400Mhz chipset and once FTTC hits this area since the router can be hooked up via the Gigabit Ethernet cable or fibre port.
on 24 February 2012
I installed the new N600 router as a replacement for a netgear DGN2000 which had developed a problem with its wireless connection.
Connected to power, telephone (via supplied cable and filter) and PC (via supplied ethernet cable). Opened the user interface in my browser, started the setup wizard, entered my ISP username and password.
In next to no time I was online. All the connection settings for TalkTalk were detected automatically.
I configuered the wireless connection to connect to my laptop and for additional security set up the access list to include only the family laptops.
I have now been using this router for four weeks. Connection has been reliable in that it has dropped once, without me noticing because it reconnected automatically. It is currently showing 15 days continuous connection.
To summarise: This router is a plug and play item. Set it up and forget it. I would recommend it to anyone.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: 750MbpsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Since I initially posted this review , I've been experiencing some issues. I've added my experiences onto the end of the review.

This router can be connected to the internet using either Ethernet (for connecting to a cable modem, for example) or ADSL. This means it should work as a replacement for virtually all wireless routers, regardless of the type of backhaul. I have been using it connected to a modem via the Ethernet WAN port.

Aesthetically, it's not pretty. It has a bizarre copper-coloured strip down the front, and it's quite a basic rectangle, with a thin black plate sticking out at the front (on the right edge). The LEDs are all green or blue, and are in a thin vertical strip. There are wall-mounting holes as well as a stand.

Setting the router up was reasonably straightforward. You connect your computer to the router, open up a web browser and click a few options. There was a little hiccup initially, because it happens to use the 192.168.0 /24 class C network for its LAN (local network) by default, and I connected it to a network with the same address range on the WAN interface, which does not work. Had it not been for this, setup would have been virtually automatic, but as it is, I needed to choose the "setup the network yourself" option, and choose a different LAN subnet. You can download an app called Netgear Genie to manage your internet connection (there are versions for Android and iPhone/iPad as well as computers).

For some reason, the admin password (the password you use to make changes to the router) can only be changed in the "advanced" menu; perhaps the default of admin/password is considered to be sufficiently secure. If you want to reserve a particular IP address on your LAN (for a server, for example), that's in the advanced menus too.

The Wi-Fi radios seem to work well. Rather than choosing what variant(s) of the 802.11 standard you want to enable, Netgear instead asks you to choose what "up to" speed you would like. In the 2.4GHz band, you choose if you'd like up to 54Mbps, 145Mbps or 300Mbps, and you get 802.11b/g/n; in the 5GHz band, you get 802.11a/n, and you can choose between 54, 217 and 450 Mbps. In both cases, the fastest option runs on a wider band (40MHz instead of 20MHz) with up to three parallel data streams in the 5GHz band, which is good if your devices support it, but your neighbours will be more likely to suffer from interference on their Wi-Fi setup. I would have liked to be able to disable 802.11b, because it has known performance and potential denial of service (DoS) issues; turning it off is not an option with this router.

As far as Wi-Fi range is concerned, it seems as good as my Asus wireless router. 5GHz signals get absorbed fairly quickly in walls, so I'm using a 5GHz wireless access point upstairs as well as the Netgear router downstairs. The 2.4GHz signal gets all the way round the house no trouble at all. Using inSSIDer, the Asus seemed to have the edge over the Netgear in the 2.4GHz band, but the Netgear was sometimes providing a better -60dBm against the Asus's -70dBm in the 5GHz band at a distance of 25 feet (and through one thin wall).

Setting the wireless identifier (SSID) and password is really easy: the 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings are displayed on the same page, so you can see everything at once. Security defaults to the most secure method, WPA2-PSK and AES. Insecure WEP is not supported, but moderately secure WPA (with TKIP) is - some client devices may not work with WPA2.

In addition to the ADSL and WAN Ethernet port, there are four Gigabit Ethernet sockets and two USB ports (one on the front, one on the back). The little rubber cover on the front USB port doesn't stay on very well. Using the USB ports you can connect devices for network file sharing or for DLNA media streaming (or you can connect a USB printer to be available over the network). As far as I can see, you can't set up user accounts on the router, so sharing is at the Windows Workgroup level only.

Advanced features include:
- Up to 6 (yes, SIX) guest Wi-Fi networks (three on 2.4GHz, three on 5GHz); you can configure security on them all separately, and you can choose whether to let them access your local network or just get out to the internet.
- Quality of Service (QoS) is supported on the wireless interface, and you can also prioritise internet traffic (for example, you can set up video streaming to your set-top box to have priority over downloading a new game from Steam).
- You can configure the router to email you a warning when you are getting close to your monthly download allowance (assuming have a download limit and your internet provider doesn't do you the courtesy of sending you an email anyway).
- You can make your connected USB drives accessible over the internet (you need to set up a username and password on the Netgear website to enable this).
- You have access to set up "Live Parental Controls" using a feature on the Netgear website: this connects to your Netgear router to block unsafe content, but you have complete freedom to block or unblock what you or your family should be able to see.
- The router can act as a Time Machine, assuming you have connected enough disk space.

I haven't yet tried out the ADSL connectivity of this wireless router.

UPDATE, 20 January 2013: I've found an annoying bug in the latest firmware, version V1.1.00.10_1.00.10. The symptoms are:

1) If you use WPS (the button you press to allow a new device to connect to your wireless network), your SSID and wireless password change to random values (this is not supposed to happen if you have the "Keep existing settings" box ticked on the Advanced => Advanced Setup => Wireless Settings page, but it does).

2) Wireless isolation (which prevents connected devices from seeing each other) behaves oddly. Wireless isolation allows you access to the internet, but not to other devices in your home. Since using the WPS button, having the "Enable wireless isolation" box ticked actually DISABLES wireless isolation, except for the management interface to the router, which becomes inaccessible over wireless. If you untick the box, you can log on to the router over wireless, but all your network devices (NAS, media players, other computers) become inaccessible.

I cannot really recommend this router until this bug has been fixed, although if you don't use the WPS button the router works fine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2012
Like a lot of us, probably, I spent a good couple of months watching the reviews of this device, umming and ahrring as to whether or not to take the plunge given the price and the conflicting reviews. I simply wanted a stable router that would give me a solid internet connection to my Ethernet hard wired desktop and an extended Wi-Fi range through the house, something that my TP link TD-W8960N wasn't providing. Having studied the negative reviews here, I decided that the vast majority seemed to pre date the release of the updated firmware ( V1.0.0.17_1.0.17). Putting that to one side, the only question remaining concerned whether or not I had an ADSL max or ADSL2+ connection. Suffice it to say that Talk Talk (my ISP) were unhelpful and very vague on this point, giving me a no precise answer to this question, but suggesting I "probably had" an ADSL 2+ line.... And all that after several emails and phone calls. I then contacted Netgear support who were insistent that the router was now "stable" with the updated firmware. In the end, I decided it was worth a go, especially given Amazon's excellent returns policy in case it proved to be as dodgy as some have indicated. Well, in short, it works fine for me - I'm on Tiscali (now Talk Talk) on a BT line, running the router off an extension phone line in the study a good 15 meters from the BT master socket. The main thing for me is that, as yet, I haven't noted a single dropped connection in the 4 days it has been up and running. Wi-Fi strength is good and the speed for general browsing and working from home is excellent. The Netgear certainly provides what I wanted; a very stable connection and improved Wi-Fi coverage - so, in brief, so far, so pleased. Highly recommend!
on 30 August 2011
Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router

My BT wireless router, that has been working well for 5 years or so now started dropping wireless connections and so I thought I would replace it and look for a reasonably future proof (I know there is really no such thing) update. I am currently on a standard BT broadband line at around 6MB connection but would be looking to get the high speed BT infinity service when it becomes available.

I looked at lots of modem/routers and the Netgear seemed to have everything, although reading lots of customer reviews (not just on Amazon) was aware of some of the issues this router had in maintaining an ISP connection - particularly it seems with BT. It was therefore with a little trepidation that I ordered one these.

The first, I think, was genuinely defective. Worked well for 3 hours and then wouldn't connect to the internet at all despite trying to reboot/reset/re-install. Kept freezing when trying to run auto reconnect set-up and also issues with USB - would connect but wouldn't register HDD as being attached. Unfortunately this led me to contact Netgear customer support which was a hopeless waste of time. Very difficult to find correct number, no contact details in box & had to search internet (using my old failing BT modem/router). Managed to find contact phone number for Netgear's paid service which requires a subscription before they will offer help. They did, however give me the number of their free customer support service which were utterly useless. The guy on the end of the phone was rather difficult to understand but basically told me to try it on a neighbours line (year right - I'll just pop around to my neighbours house rig it up on their computer, disrupting their network, hack into their computer's browser and fiddle around for an hour or so trying to get it to work - I'm sure they'll be more than happy to let me do that) and if it still didn't work, change it for one of their other models, the names of which he proceeded to give, that had nowhere near the specs of the DGND3700 they were supposedly able to replace - one of them was even a modem-less router! There was absolutely no attempt to even try to rectify or diagnose any possible issues, even though I think this model was actually genuinely defective rather than suffering from what appears to be a common flaw in this model. It seems that Netgear are well aware of the ADSL connection problems that this router has and yet don't appear to be taking any steps to resolve them.

Amazon were fantastic as usual - both in the ease of returning the defective item and the speed at issuing a replacement.

The replacement model, however. DID have the ADSL connection flaw - with the broadband connection dropping on several occasions each day. This was easily fixed by rebooting (unlike the first one I tried) but unfortunately most of my WiFi client devices needed rebooting & re-setting up as well to re-establish a stable connection. If it were just a case of re-booting the router and everything working again (which I had hoped would have been the worst case scenario) then I could have lived with that - but it wasn't.

On a slightly more positive note, connection issues aside I found the set-up extremely easy. It auto-detected my ISP setting within a minute or 2 and after typing in account name & password, it connected. Wireless setup was also very easy, if a little disappointing. The signal strength of the 2.4ghz band dropped rapidly at only small distances. The signal strength to my Asus Eee pad dropped from excellent, with a link speed of 72Mbps (I think this is the Eee pad's max link speed) in the same room to fair and a Link speed of 5Mbps (with a resultant halving of transfer speed) on moving downstairs to the kitchen (approximately 10 meters away) in a modern house which has the usual wall thickness you would expect with modern new houses (about the same thickness as a thin veneer of papier mache!).

I dusted down an old Belkin N router I found laying around the darkest recesses of my computer room (one of the 1st N routers - it's 8 years old if it's a day) and this has given me better stability and a stronger signal than the Netgear N600.

Having read lots of reviews of other modem/routers, it appears that ADSL connection issues are a big problem. It seems strange that almost a decade on, with colossal dual band network link speeds of 300Mbps & even 450Mbps being boasted by manufacturers, that they seem unable to get the basics right on the modem front (not just Netgear but Belkin & Cisco also seem to have issues), so that their all singing, all dancing modem/routers seem incapable of maintaining a solid, reliable ADSL connection, whereas a crumbling, 8 year old dinosaur of a modem/router is able to do so with ease. I have decided to stick with my old crumbling Belkin, where I shall use it's modem function and probably add an Asus RT N56u router (having no confidence in the abilities of modern modems to maintain a solid ASDL connection).

I really can't give this more than 1 star. The best modem routers should really be unobtrusive, sitting in the background and just working. If you have to spend ages trying to re-boot/reset & endlessly watch out for the blinking red light of connection failure, then they really aren't any good, despite the tech specs.
on 7 October 2012
I was a little concerned about the mixed reviews that this router has received "ADSL & ADSL Max" BAD, and "ADSL2+" GOOD. As I am on an ADSL2+ line I felt it was a minimal risk worth taking, and I am definately pleased with the routers performance and connection stability. My previous "Free High End, lol" router from Talk Talk DLink DSL 2780 was so unstable it was unreal, continuously dropping connections and fluctuating wireless speeds, but since setting the up Netgear DGND3700v2 4 days ago I have had no dropped connections, and continuous network speed performance over 15MB, a massive improvement!!

The added ability to run multiple wireless networks at both 2.4 & 5GHz, plus the ability to have multiple segregated guest networks makes this router stand out from the rest.

The USB Readyshare functions is also an added bonus for networking external storage drives for backing up or network sharing files.

I can't comment as to the stability or performance of the NETGEAR Router DGND3700v2 on ADSL or ADSL Max lines, but if you are on a ADSL2+ line in my opinion take the plunge you won't be disappointed!!
on 30 July 2011
Fine router except it cannot maintain IP connectivity for more than 5 minutes. ADSL stays up but looses the IP address and no Internet connectivity. Checked Netgear forums, this appears to be a common fault. ISP support also stated they have lots of issues with this router. Netgear support asked me to reflash the firmware, this did not work so they stated it was faulty and to return it. Router returned. Just received a replacement router this has the same problem. This router returned as well. Will now seek a different manufacturer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2014
I received this router as a gift and from day one it had an issue with the wifi. If run only on the 2.4ghz band it is stable enough but if the 5ghz band is also enabled the router crashes every 3-4 hours. Having googled the problem it is a known issue and even mentioned on the official Netgear support forum, where there is a mention by one customer of a beta firmware which fixed the issue for them.

I contacted Netgear support to ask them for a copy of this firmware, but my request was completely ignored and instead I was asked for a proof of purchase. When I told them the router was a gift and I didn't have the receipt they point blank refused to help me in any way whatsoever. All I was asking for was help, not a refund nor a replacement even, just help with their faulty product!

To me this policy is a complete disgrace and I am now left with a dual band router that can only be used on one frequency. To add insult to injury if I turn off the wifi at night to save power and keep my network safe it enables both wifi bands by default when turned back on in the morning! I then either have to log into the router to disable the 5ghz band again or face another day of constant crashing.

Netgear I can honestly say out of all the companies I have needed support from in my life you are without doubt the worst and I for one will never even consider buying a product of yours in the future. Customer service like this, or rather the complete lack of it, is just awful and beggars belief.

What a pity Netgear don't follow the truly excellent example set by Amazon, whose customer service is truly excellent.

If I could give this faulty router and terrible Netgear customer service minus 10 stars I would, my advice is avoid at all costs.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse