5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a punch like a mini boombox
I fully expected this little speaker to be tiny like one of those puny portable keyring speakers. Much to my surprise, it had a good weight, about the size of my fist, it's portable but still feels substantial.

Published 23 months ago by roses

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed
Not impressed sadly.

It goes quite loud - almost shockingly loud - and has a very thumpy and punchy bass, but I find the sound unpleasant and unbalanced. The low end of the sound has kick, sure, but there is little mid range and the top top is quite shrill and sharp.
Published 2 months ago by DefectiveStoat

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a punch like a mini boombox, 8 Oct 2012
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HMDX HX-P230GRA-EU Jam Bluetooth Wireless Portable Speaker - Green (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The finish is a nice metallic green with glossy black trim, the buttons feel clicky, but they are responsive. It has a rubberised base allowing the speaker to steadily grip and prevent it from being accidently knocked off.

The sound quality over bluetooth is very good for a portable speaker. The bass is deep and you can hear the harmonics across the range without it getting tinny, popping or giving feedback. It has the capability of playing quite loud without loss of quality on its own merit (when volume is not determined by the source).

The range of the bluetooth is good, I was still able to listen without interference when I walked into the next room, but it couldn't quite cope any further and started to break up. It does say that it's capable of 30' range.

It takes about 3 hours for a full charge, and true to it's word provides the full 4 hours of continuous playback. If you connect via a Line In input you get even more playback at 12 hours! The speaker's own status is well indicated. A red and green LED light to indicate charge, power and low battery status. A blue LED light to indicate the bluetooth connectivity status.

The initial setup is very easy, the tiny manual was clear and concise, with the bluetooth pairing passcode clearly printed in several places. I was able to hook this up to my Samsung Galaxy S3 and Mac Mini no problems. I was even able to control pause and play from the speaker itself when played over bluetooth. Additionally the speaker also has volume up and down controls. Once paired up, and you won't typically need to set up the speaker again.

This gadget comes packed in a novel scented plastic jar, with a 1 year limited warranty and a micro USB charging cable. The jar itself can be used to transport the device and deter damage from being knocked around in your bag. The micro USB cable is very short, no more than 2 inches. In my opinion it's so short and given the weight of the speaker, it's impractical if you intend to charge from USB ports halfway up your computer tower or from a plug socket off the floor.

Please note that this does not come with a Line In cable or a USB plug adapter, but I have been able to use other third party plugs to charge this fine.

The only but rather big downside, is the very loud start up jingle it makes. It made me jump when I first switched it on and it doesn't look like there is a way to disable this. Additionally the volume appears to reset to a high a level when powering on. It also makes a loud beeping sound when in the process of connecting to a device, which is also off putting. Other than that, it really does perform well as a small but substantial speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 12 Mar 2014
This has to be my best purchase of 2014. The noise that comes out of this little beauty is unreal, as is the superb quality of that noise. No issues setting up wireless link with my phone, which took seconds, and everytime I switch it on I am amazed. I have a Bose Soundock costing ten times as much and this gives it a good run for the money. It's a steal, buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Nov 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Speaking from the viewpoint of a woman of indeterminate age, this JAM Bluetooth wireless speaker is awesome! It is available at an amazing price, and, I can rock all year long.

The Jam Classic Wireless Speaker from HMDX is compact enough to take anywhere, and comes in so many choices of colors. And at this price, I purchased several for gifts. It makes a fun and thoughtful gift for kids, grandkids, and co-workers--anyone who's into music.

The handy speaker pumps out sound without cords and clutter. I placed the speaker within 30 feet of a compatible Bluetooth-enabled device, such as my iPhone and/or iPad. Follow the device's prompts to connect. The sounds comng from my iPad with a film streamed via Amazon Instant was remarkable.

I can take this anywhere. I play all of my playlists, audio books, and pod casts, using this Bluetooth system. There is an aux input that allows me to play audio from non Bluetooth devices.

The box came with Jam Classic Wireless Speaker, USB to MicroUSB charging cable, Aux input cable, instructions, and a gift box. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery allows for up to four hours of wireless play, and the unit requires approximately three hours to fully charge.

I use this all the time, and my relatives are going to be doubly pleased this year.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 12-08-13

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money bluetooth speaker, 2 Mar 2014
Great sound, portable, even able to put on dash board of car. Great when connected to music on phones, perfect gift for teenagers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works!!, 13 Feb 2014
Bought this for my daughter at Uni. I was really impress when I heard the music on it from her phone. Compact & brilliant for the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 8 Jan 2014
love it very clear sound you would not get a batter speaker for the prise don't buy a jack/aux like I did it comes with one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 15 July 2014
DefectiveStoat (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
Not impressed sadly.

1.0 out of 5 stars its faulty!, 2 May 2014
When it works, its good, but it cuts out every time I play a song and it varies when it cuts out, the song could even be played quietly and it will cut out!!!
Not happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, clear sounding music!, 17 Aug 2014
Fantastic little speaker, great sound and a long battery life. I use mine constantly, in the shower, and on nights out when moving from one party to another! Had constant questions about where people could buy one after showing them mine, every member of my family and a good number of my friends now have them too.

I used the far more expensive 'Beat's Pill' for a week prior to this purchase and was blown away with the quality of this product in comparison. The Pill distorted more at higher volumes (although it was louder than the 'Jam') yet for the difference in price, this product wins every time. Just hurry up and buy it already!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great when it worked..., 5 April 2014
Colin W. Lamb (Scotland,Uk) - See all my reviews
Upon first using this speaker, I found the sound to be surprisingly good to be coming from such a small speaker. It also paired ok with my nexus7 via bluetooth. Only complaint was some sound problems when changing tracks; they would begin sounding muddled before playback. This would sort itself after a couple of seconds.
Unfortunately, upon turning on for a second use, it then inexplicably stopped working. No sign of life from it at all; it would not charge or operate and there was completely no sound coming from it.
I am returning it but I am hesitant to purchase another as I have read a few other reviews from people online that have also claimed that their jam speaker malfunctioned. Would be grateful to hear from others who have experienced similar issues because I really did like the sound and portability of it.