4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Speaking from the viewpoint of a woman of indeterminate age, this JAM Bluetooth wireless speaker is awesome! It is available at an amazing price, and, I can rock all year long.

Published 19 months ago by prisrob

Very small and portable (not much bigger than a tennis ball). Loud for its size and was a good enhancement to the tablet we tested it on. Has volume control buttons.

Published 5 months ago by Lain

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Nov. 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

The Jam Classic Wireless Speaker from HMDX is compact enough to take anywhere, and comes in so many choices of colors. And at this price, I purchased several for gifts. It makes a fun and thoughtful gift for kids, grandkids, and co-workers--anyone who's into music.

The handy speaker pumps out sound without cords and clutter. I placed the speaker within 30 feet of a compatible Bluetooth-enabled device, such as my iPhone and/or iPad. Follow the device's prompts to connect. The sounds comng from my iPad with a film streamed via Amazon Instant was remarkable.

I can take this anywhere. I play all of my playlists, audio books, and pod casts, using this Bluetooth system. There is an aux input that allows me to play audio from non Bluetooth devices.

The box came with Jam Classic Wireless Speaker, USB to MicroUSB charging cable, Aux input cable, instructions, and a gift box. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery allows for up to four hours of wireless play, and the unit requires approximately three hours to fully charge.

I use this all the time, and my relatives are going to be doubly pleased this year.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 12-08-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a punch like a mini boombox, 8 Oct. 2012
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I fully expected this little speaker to be tiny like one of those puny portable keyring speakers. Much to my surprise, it had a good weight, about the size of my fist, it's portable but still feels substantial.

The finish is a nice metallic green with glossy black trim, the buttons feel clicky, but they are responsive. It has a rubberised base allowing the speaker to steadily grip and prevent it from being accidently knocked off.

The sound quality over bluetooth is very good for a portable speaker. The bass is deep and you can hear the harmonics across the range without it getting tinny, popping or giving feedback. It has the capability of playing quite loud without loss of quality on its own merit (when volume is not determined by the source).

The range of the bluetooth is good, I was still able to listen without interference when I walked into the next room, but it couldn't quite cope any further and started to break up. It does say that it's capable of 30' range.

It takes about 3 hours for a full charge, and true to it's word provides the full 4 hours of continuous playback. If you connect via a Line In input you get even more playback at 12 hours! The speaker's own status is well indicated. A red and green LED light to indicate charge, power and low battery status. A blue LED light to indicate the bluetooth connectivity status.

The initial setup is very easy, the tiny manual was clear and concise, with the bluetooth pairing passcode clearly printed in several places. I was able to hook this up to my Samsung Galaxy S3 and Mac Mini no problems. I was even able to control pause and play from the speaker itself when played over bluetooth. Additionally the speaker also has volume up and down controls. Once paired up, and you won't typically need to set up the speaker again.

This gadget comes packed in a novel scented plastic jar, with a 1 year limited warranty and a micro USB charging cable. The jar itself can be used to transport the device and deter damage from being knocked around in your bag. The micro USB cable is very short, no more than 2 inches. In my opinion it's so short and given the weight of the speaker, it's impractical if you intend to charge from USB ports halfway up your computer tower or from a plug socket off the floor.

Please note that this does not come with a Line In cable or a USB plug adapter, but I have been able to use other third party plugs to charge this fine.

The only but rather big downside, is the very loud start up jingle it makes. It made me jump when I first switched it on and it doesn't look like there is a way to disable this. Additionally the volume appears to reset to a high a level when powering on. It also makes a loud beeping sound when in the process of connecting to a device, which is also off putting. Other than that, it really does perform well as a small but substantial speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to look at anything else, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: HMDX HX-P230BLA-EU Jam Bluetooth Wireless Portable Speaker - Blue (Electronics)
I was looking for a small speaker specifically for my mum's nexus 7 tablet which isn't very loud. Needless to say it wasn't as easy as finding an apple dock. Then it hit me that I could call on Bluetooth to help me out with this.

Firstly I love the idea of sticking with the item name "Jam" presenting the product in a small jam jar, that's cleaver! It's a small speaker about half the size of a soda can. it has three buttons and two led indicators which are different from the picture; Vol -, Vol +, Play/Pause and the two led indicators are for battery and Bluetooth. It was set up in seconds after opening the box and pairing it to my phone. Sound is great no matter where it is positioned, good bass (always nice to have). I would put the volume on my device to the highest and keep this speaker on half as it has its own volume control and it does well both on highest volume.

When I got this I was so happy with it that I might buy one for myself, I really believe for the money you get a really good quality small portable speaker. There for I've given it five stars, excellent product and there's no need to look anywhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed. Better than its main and more popular competitor, X Mini II, 1 Feb. 2014
Rob Clark "Rob Clark" (Hessle, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this little JAM wireless unit. Its brilliant.

Really solid build, not going to try my luck but you can imagine it would be up to the inevitable knocks that come with travelling. Love the colour, and general style. Little control buttons around the base rim which are again well built and easy to use, includes a Play/Pause function that my iPhone 5 responds to when connected via Bluetooth.

Sound is brilliant. Better than my laptop speaker (Dell Precision M6600 - not cheap), I recently was doing a presentation and I needed sound, at first I used my laptop but it wasn't great over a mid sized rooms, so I plugged in the Jam Speaker via the supplied 3.5mm cable and it completely filled the room with the audio. It's also great for the iPhone and as I stay in hotels a lot I like that I can leave my phone on charge at the desk and via the Bluetooth functionality, have the speaker near my bed so its not blasting out. It is worth noting that as one would expect using the Bluetooth rather than cabling it in does reduce the battery length, the manufacturers suggest on Bluetooth it will last 4 hours, rather than 12 hours on cable.

Sound is brilliant, even on loud volumes for a speaker of its size its surprisingly punchy and the treble is nice a clear. Adds great depth to speech as well.

I recently purchased at X Mini II which seems to be this speakers main competitor, it also has rave reviews. My X Mini II for whatever reason started distorting after a few uses, I returned it and got the JAM instead. For me, the JAM sounds better even before the X Mini II started distorting, is better built and has more functionality with the Bluetooth while having all the features of the X Mini II which also charges via mini USB and has a comparable battery life. The X Mini II with its exposed fabric body middle is more likely in my opinion to get damaged if using as a travel speaker than this solid case speaker. The X Mini II is slightly smaller when packed away, but this is still very portable. JAM speaker everytime for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think the 10 metre range is an accurate description. Price on Amazon is definitely not accurate!, 11 Jan. 2015
Lain "Lain" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews

On the downside, I don't think the 10-metre range is quite accurate. We tested it in different rooms of the house and I would say the range is more like 5-6 metres before it starts cutting out. We put it in a central area of the house and 10 metres should have covered the whole house easily but it did not.

As for the price, Amazon are claiming this has been reduced from £40 and when I was looking at this for a Christmas present I almost bought it from Amazon but Tesco have this permanently at £19 without any claims of a price reduction so I bought it from them instead, on principal (and for clubcard points!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 12 Mar. 2014
This has to be my best purchase of 2014. The noise that comes out of this little beauty is unreal, as is the superb quality of that noise. No issues setting up wireless link with my phone, which took seconds, and everytime I switch it on I am amazed. I have a Bose Soundock costing ten times as much and this gives it a good run for the money. It's a steal, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it worry free quality product exceptional price thank you hmdx, 19 May 2015
Excellent item really worth every penny. I have two of these and I can not find any fault. It is a substantial feeling product in a well presented 'jam jar". On removal you can feel the quality, nice weight to it not light but not heavy. I have fun finding places to enhance its already brilliant audio quality like the top of my wooden wardrobe or under my kitchen cabinet by the cereals. It is a pleasure to listen to and a credit to its dimensions. Not tinny or boomy, has what you could call sonic ability. It really is a joy to listen to, please do experiment with different surfaces and enviroments as all audio products do rely on their environment, especially outdoors. Power wise I don't understand why they have been so modest in the specs. THIS KEEPS GOING AND GOING my new one has been charged once this week and me and the Mrs have used it a lot and it shows no sign of needing a charge. Oh and the price astonishing, my setup is a moto e 2nd gen and the jam jar I have installed Spotify and this speaker convinced me to go premium. I have also learned some tips from this such as how to position speakers and getting a Bluetooth receiver like the one built into this speaker to use on my HiFi and make the most of my Spotify account. I use this speaker in the bath put it on the other side of the room and as the moto e is splash proof I can control it worry free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sticky fingers..., 2 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The HMDX Jam speaker puts a smile on your face even before you've heard it, the jam jar packaging and the range of 'flavours' are a fun way to present what could otherwise be a dull gadget. Even better, that smile stays on your face when the Jam starts jamming because despite its size and modest price it sounds great. Inevitably with a small speaker there's no real deep bass but it still makes a surprisingly full and complete sound, especially with simpler music or the spoken word, and it would be perfect for playing podcasts and audiobooks. More complex music seems to engulf it slightly, there isn't the detail in the sound to render everything clearly, but it's still very listenable.

To nitpick slightly: I noticed was that while using Bluetooth the sound seems less punchy and detailed than when using the (supplied) cable to connect to a music source. This is probably because Bluetooth audio gets compressed to send it more efficiently over the wireless connection - there are different codecs available for this compression and some sound better than others. Maybe the Jam doesn't use a particularly good codec, but this might also depend on what device you're connecting to. I also notice a bit of background digital noise on Bluetooth connections but this was only really audible between songs and in a very quiet room, it's generally not loud enough to spoil playback. On the plus side the Jam has a couple of advantages over other Bluetooth speakers I've tried - for example when you connect using the audio cable it automatically switches off the Bluetooth feature, this extends the battery life considerably - from around 4 hours on Bluetooth to about 12 hours on cable.

Although the Jam charges using a USB cable (supplied) connected to your computer or a mains adaptor (not supplied) it cannot be used as a USB audio device, you can only connect via Bluetooth or audio cable. The onboard controls set the volume level and also can start/stop the music on a compatible device - works perfectly with my iPhone for example. All together the Jam's a fun, highly portable and really good-sounding little speaker at a decent price - would make a great gift for any gadget-lover too.

1.0 out of 5 stars We could not get this to work. My son ..., 11 Jan. 2015
We could not get this to work . My son spent twenty minutes trying to set it up andfailed and we had to return it by post- disappointing!

1.0 out of 5 stars its faulty!, 2 May 2014
When it works, its good, but it cuts out every time I play a song and it varies when it cuts out, the song could even be played quietly and it will cut out!!!
Not happy.