5.0 out of 5 stars Digital drawing/painting made simple
I use Adobe Creative suite during the greater part of my day job (I work in online media). I also do a lot of digital photography, so I'm all over stuff like Photoshop, Premiere/AfterEffects, Flash/Flex and SoftImage.

Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by M. Bhangal

Published on 24 Oct. 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital drawing/painting made simple, 27 Feb. 2013
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

My partner unfortunately become ill last year, and was essentially housebound for a year. As part of her recuperation, she decided she wanted to get into the 'digital stuff' she often sees me playing about with. I set her up with my backup digital camera, Lightroom, and Sketchbook Pro.

Why Lightroom and Sketchbook instead of Photoshop and Painter? The latter are much more powerful, right?

Well, they also have a very large learning curve and are VERY expensive. Lightroom and Sketchbook pro are the ones I would recommend as an introduction to digital media creation and retouching because they are cheap to buy, intuitive to learn, and can certainly hold their own with the more expensive software if you ever want to go pro. In fact, many of my associates in paid work (including an ex Disney animator) prefer to use Sketchbook Pro over Painter/Photoshop because Sketchbook doesn't get in the way of what you want to do when you just want to lay stuff down quickly (or simply to learn digital sketching/painting from scratch, or just have fun).

I'd also strongly recommend getting a cheap PC pen tablet: Wacom Bamboo or something similar.

Oh, and you might want to have a look on Youtube before you commit to your purchase, as theres lots of videos showcasing what you can do with Sketchbook (and for that matter, with Lightroom).

5.0 out of 5 stars So Natural, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've never used earlier versions of Sketchbook and have little experience of "modern" Digital Art packages to compare it with. It's controls are self explanatory yet powerful enough to achieve outstanding work.

The brushes are very natural in use and easily editable.

It's great for both sketching and inking (I'm working on my own Comic book art) and also for colouring.

Definitely feels like it was created for the artists. More about getting ideas down than playing with effects.

Amazing value for money. I know I'm going to be spending many hours with it. Works well in conjunction with a WACOM tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Premier Digital Illustration Software. Period. Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro 6: A Critical Review., 7 Jan. 2013
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Sketchbook Book Pro 2010 had come highly recommended to me.

Sketchbook Pro 2011 had just been released days later after getting this recommendation. I got it immediately and it was everything that was described to me.

Most of what I used Photoshop for, I now had a specialized drawing and illustration app that had more than 20 different drawing styles, multiple layers, moveable headers, rulers of all kinds.. all this for $75.

What this meant to me is that if I wanted to sketch... I'd have the tools to do it. If I wanted to paint or "spray paint" a caricature, I have the tools to do it. If I wanted to work on an engineering or an architectural draft-- with this software alone-- I'd have the tools to do it. And, I didn't have to waste time opening up several different softwares that were better at somethings than others.

Absolutely phenomenal.

About 6 months later, Sketchbook Book Pro came out with a free update which included the Copic Colors--an underground style of markers that was popular with manga artists. I had no idea what "Copic Colors" were and certainly didn't know how these young artists are using it, but after a quick Google search, this digital version of Copic Colors watercolor markers is a great thing to have.

Some other artist made the legitimate claim that SBP11 still didn't have a smudge tool. True.

Now that Sketchbook Pro "6" has a smudge tool, new and expanded layout headers in addition to literally more than 2 dozens drawing/ painting/ sketching styles, it becomes very difficult to not to go to SBP when you have some very important work to do.

*** ***

Talking about price for a moment. Sketchbook Pro has actually DROPPED in price. With the exception of the black Friday sales, SBP retails around $50 and several times since SBP6 was released in September I've seen it for as little as $29!

*** ***

SBP6 also coincides with the new SBP for iPad and the SBP for Android* 2.5 (at the moment, only available at the Google Play store) which also features saving as a tiff file, Coptic color and multiple layer options.

If you have SBP11 (aka "5)--I don't see a need to upgrade. If Autodesk hadn't included the Copic Colors, then I would have said it's worth the $20 to upgrade but there isn't enough except if you wanted to support the company.

If you have an earlier version, 2010 and before--NOW is time to upgrade-- with the addition of the smudge tool, I think you'll find either working with Photoshop or Corel Draw or Corel Paint easier to work with or less frequently.

If you're an artist and want a universal digital art app that is identical on your main computer as well as your tablet or smartphone or perhaps you're just getting into the digital art domain and don't want to spend the $499 for Photoshop--Sketchbook Pro is definitely the way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice new variety, but downgraded quality in what was already there., 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've used Sketchbook Pro 2011 for a long time, mostly only for the sketching stage of creating work. For that, Sketchbook Pro 2011 was amazing- the pencil tool alone made it worth buying and using. In this new version, they've added quite a lot of new stuff, but generally, if you're used to using Corel Painter 12 or Photoshop or even Paint Tool SAI for proper colouring, then you certainly won't be altering your general workflow to start, process, and complete work in Sketchbook Pro.

The Good:

1. New paintbrushes with actual bristle engines that make for more realistic looking strokes. There's quite a variety, too. A HUGE improvement over the last version where the paintbrush was basically just a blob of smooth, opaque colour filling.

2. More ways of customising brushes.

3. A new set of tools that work quite well.

4. Even better interface (Sketchbook Pro has always had an exceptionally good one).

5. More options to finally create different effects (it's still a joke compared to Photoshop, but we're not comparing it to PS because it's designed for a different purpose- nevertheless, there are some creative new ways to make paintings). For one thing, they've got brush blenders, which is something I sorely missed in the previous version.

The bad:

1. New Colour Wheel.... What IS this?! I absolutely hate the new colour ring that they've put. It's no longer a nice, easy to read colour ring with a value triangle inside it. It's just a circle with increased saturation on the outer perimeter, and white at the centre, and a seperate bar/ scale to adjust the darkness. It's horrible. The whole circle changes (goes a shade darker or brighter) depending on how you adjust the bar on the side, which really gets annoying when you want to just look at the full, bright spectrum of colours and then adjust brightness/ darkness/ saturation with the Value triangle. It's hard to explain, but basically it just feels like a downgrade more than anything. It's not even a minor flaw because colour is something you're likely to use all the time, and the palette will usually sit on your screen while painting/ sketching.

2. It seems to me that Autodesk has gone for quantity over quality in this one. While the new range of options, customisable brushes and variety of tools can be dazzling and fun at first, their quality is a bit questionable. The brushes are decent, and so are the pens, but it's Sketchbook Pro's signature tool that seems to have been neglected in this version: the pencil. Yes, you do get to customise it quite a bit, but after playing around with all the options, I felt that the multitude of options was just a cover up for the fact that the pencil tool has become worse since the last version. This might be a personal experience. Maybe I'm just too used to Corel Painter's fluidity with sketching, and maybe you won't feel that way. But I honestly feel like SBP 2011's pencil was way better than this one. This one seems less pressure sensitive, and don't be fooled by the 2B sketching pencils and such- they're NOTHING like their real life counterparts, in that they try and give that grainy effect by using pixels... which really doesn't work. You don't want a dotted line when you want to shade, especially when the unnatural, dot like composition of the lines can't even be masked over with shading, because like I said the pressure sensitivity has just become worse. I miss the old Sketchbook Pro just for this.

Ultimately, I think it's down to personal style. I personally don't like the new pencils at all, find the brushes and blenders quite nice, but since this was a software that I usually only used for sketching, I can't see myself doing a sketch in something way more advanced like Painter 12, and then importing to Sketchbook Pro just to make use of the brushes. With this version, Sketchbook Pro sort of puts itself out there more as a painting program than a sketching one. The problem is that there's just too much strong competition in that market. Corel Painter 12 beats it by a long mile, and I never would have thought of them as competitors if only Sketchbook Pro had stuck to what it did best: sketching. Still, I like it. Not enough to use it as much as I did (the pencil and the colour wheel are just two very important features to ignore), but once in a while, for its easy of use, speed, friendly interface, and overall quality, which is still strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, but great fun, 22 April 2013
Sue C. (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am an amateur artist and am using this programme in conjunction with my Bamboo tablet, and find the interface fine and very user-friendly. I love the really 'natural' feel of the brushes and enjoy messing around on the computer with this programme - the great thing for me is the ability to just clear the screen if I don't like the progress of my artwork, rather than wasting 'real' paper and paint. However, I also feel that I am improving as I progress with the use of the programme. I am sure that professional users, as always, will find limitations with the programme, but I find it versatile and wide-ranging in its potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good programme for certain aspects of art, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've been doing digital art for about seven years now and have been through my fair share of painting products. I recently settled with Photoshop CS4 Extended Edition, which cost me about £120 to buy from Amazon in 2010. The downside I had with Photoshop was how difficult it was to get a decent painting effect, that felt like I was actually painting. So a friend recommended that I try Sketchbook Pro, as its tools are designed to look more like traditional craft.

Now, I have very shaky hands and Photoshop picks up on all my shakes so easily, but this product feels like I have the pencil in my hand. It has four pencils to begin with, which you can alter as you need them. My favourite is pencil number 2 and allows me to create beautiful looking sketches as if I'd just scanned them onto the computer. The paintbrushes work like they are being used in real life and create very thick or very thin watercolour/oil looks, that makes it very easy for me to paint the backgrounds I want without messing about in Photoshop's advanced menus.

There are some issues with Sketchbook that makes me unable to use it as my sole product. It is not easy to create perfect, cartoony lines that feature prominently in my artwork, so I often have to sketch it in Autodesk and then transfer the image over to Photoshop to finish up the lineart. I then carry it back over to do any kind of colouring, which in itself causes issues.

Sketchbook doesn't have a proper 'invisible' colour, it uses white as this colour, which in itself is ridiculous. So when in Photoshop and I have invisible things behind the main image, that just turns white in Sketchbook and it cannot be altered. And on some of the equipment like the markets and pens, white is unable to be used at all, because it is not considered a colour by the programme. It also lacks any kind of direct input for brush size, you have to use sliders, which becomes irritating when Sketchbook decides to lag (which is does horribly on my laptop, whereas Photoshop runs like water) and thus, changing the brush sizes becomes an Olympic event. It's gotten to the point I've created several copies of the same pencil/brush/pen just with different sizes to avoid having to fight with the slider system.

Overall, it's a very nice product but it could do with some things like shortcuts, direct input, invisible/background erasers and some kind of clean line that Photoshop's brush makes.

highlights are the realistic tools, so the paintbrush looks like actual paint, pencils have different hardness like an artist's case of pencils and it has the Copic set. Copic Markers are adored in the artist communtiy and Sketchbook has Copic tools and colours, which when used correctly, look beautiful on a canvas. I use it all the time, but I do work alongside Photoshop, which creates the lineart and effects I need, whereas Sketchbook does my sketches and background.

5.0 out of 5 stars A combination of both practical use and a joy to use in equal measure., 21 Nov. 2012
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me start by making it clear, I am not an artist or graphic designer. I use programs like Sketchbook Pro for pleasure or home projects.
I have found that the biggest obstacle to actual success with these types of program is the ability to learn to use them quickly while you work.
In every case my frustration has been getting stuck trying to find out how to make the program do what I want without getting a degree in it first.
Finally I've found it, and have added it to my dock.
It is easy to use, truly intuitive, rather like the Mac system.
It is a combination of both practical use and a joy to use in equal measure.
The workspace is uncluttered and the tools easy to find.
The range and amount of adjustment is considerable and so far I haven't found anything it can't do that I actually want to do.
You can paint in watercolour, draw with pencils or import images and photographs and work on them.
In summary, I love;
Crisp, clean work environment.
Wide range of customization on just about everything.
Easy to achieve very fine detail.
Quick to learn, at last no need to buy a "Dummies" guide.
Produces professional looking work.
I have not used this with a tablet, although I am now going to buy one, I am so impressed.
I have now started doodling on my computer.
Outstanding software that I heartily recommend. Buy this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for right operating system, 16 Mar. 2013
MousieTongue's KM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is just a small warning, in case there are any others as unobservant as I am - it says it is compatible with Mac OS X. It does not work on earlier operating systems. My fault for not reading / understanding the small print, not the product's.

So, I could not use this on my Mac, which is the main computer I'd like to have used it on. I installed it on the PC, and it worked fine. Functions as you would expect from a drawing package. In terms of PC usage, there are so many affordable graphics packages available for Windows based systems, I could not particularly point to any features of this system which would make it stand out against the competition, but is generally fine and straightforward to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Capable, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I use this software to draft ideas for oil paintings, it was easy to start using and is particularly suited to use with a digitising tablet.

Autodesk is good software for freehand work reproducing a wide range of mediums,colours and textures, pictures are created as a series of seperate layers, this is very capable software but you will need to work the settings quite a lot to acheive results close to the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This software was easy to install and works well with my current tablet, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
This software was easy to install and works well with my current tablet. This is a great piece of software for beginners and intermediates because of the features, it is easy to understand and there is a lot of help online like tutorials and instructions making it accessable.

Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac)
Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) by Autodesk (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / XP)