Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 December 2012
After being rather disappointed with Element of Freedom (and when I say disappointed, I'm talking 8/10 as opposed to the usual 10/10 I give an AK album!) I was very apprehensive about getting this one because a lot of artists tend to drop off once they start reaching they're 4th / 5th albums...not mentioning any names (usher)...but anyway...ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!

I think this one does still (just slightly) sit behind A Minor & Diary, but the snippet of soul (Fire We Make), touch of musical genius (Least I Got to Love You), girl power anthem (Girl on Fire), lyrical inspiration (Brand New Me), beautiful melodies (Not Even the King / One Thing) and the token R&B Reggae track with a bassline that your blow your neighbours' mind (Limitedless) mean that this album will certainly be listened to for years to come! Each track is easygoing enough for everyone to like but without lacking the depth that makes this a credible piece of musical work! Thanks Alicia!!!
on 29 December 2012
Alicia Keys has once again taken her time to write new material and has let three years pass before releasing her fifth studio album "Girl On Fire". Compared to her previous effort "The Element Of Freedom", this collection of songs is much more energetic and fresh. It is actually quite difficult to compare the two as they are so different, but Alicia sounds much happier on this outing, possibly because she is now married and has experienced motherhood.

Following the Classical music inspired intro "De Novo Adagio", the piano led ballad "Brand New Me", co-written by Emeli Sande, is very classy and stylish with a breathtakingly powerful bridge section that adds immensely to the quality of this song. "When It's All Over" is quite an interesting composition as it contains elements of R&B, Jazz and Funk, but then swiftly unravels and transforms into a melodic Dance track with lots of energy and commercial appeal. There are a variety of different styles on this album - "Listen To Your Heart" falls comfortably in between Neo Soul and R&B slow jam territory whilst "New Day" boasts punchy Hip-Hop drum beats and brings bags of energy and hope to this release, although it is my least favourite track due to its simplicity, being aimed solely at the commercial market. The lead single and title track "Girl On Fire", featuring the Hip-Hop artist of the moment Nicki Minaj, is another mainstream R&B creation with very passionate and soulful vocals from Miss Keys and a catchy melody, although it is slightly over-sung and a tad middle of the road. The duet with the ever so talented Maxwell "Fire We Make" oozes sensuality and has some beautiful soft vocals from both artists that blend with the suave and gentle Soul, Jazz and Funk arrangements. "Tears Always Win" is an infectious ode to Soul and Gospel whilst also possessing a very sweet laid back feel to it. "Not Even The King" is a beautiful piano led ballad and actually sounds very much like Emeli Sande at her most vulnerable. "That's When I Knew" is a gentle soulful acoustic guitar led ballad with sweet vocals from Alicia. "Limitedless" is a cool Reggae infused track with an addictive bass line and rhythm. "One Thing" is a fragile and beautiful atmospheric ballad co-written by Frank Ocean, another recent R&B sensation, and the final song "101" is the third piano led ballad co-written with Miss Sande and is just as passionately sung as the other impressive ballads.

"Girl On Fire" contains something for everyone as it is a very varied album blending many different styles successfully which allows the listener to pick and choose tracks depending on his/her mood. The album can also be enjoyed as a whole as the message of hope, joy and independence resounds through each and every composition. Personally, I do prefer it when Alicia opts for less commercial sounds, but I am just being fussy. Alicia is happy and you can feel that through her inspiring music - that is all that really matters.
on 28 December 2012
Album is fantastic, worth buying, every single track a classic. Track 3 features her son Egypt, listening to him makes you want to melt. I listening to it all the time. Well worth the investment.
on 20 December 2012
I really love this album. Alicia never disappoints. I actually think that Girl On Fire is one of the worse songs on the album. I love the song Brand New Me, It is filled with so much raw emotion and is catchy. The duet with Maxwell is amazing. Two of my favourite artists together. All in all a good buy
on 16 December 2012
On each album that Alicia releases she improves and her latest release is simply fab. The title track is the best on here but they are all so good.
on 14 May 2013
This was to replace a copy of 'Girl on Fire' that I had lost and I think it's a great album, & I received this album very quickly after ordering it, & after having discovered I had lost it , was very gratefull.
on 12 May 2013
Have been a fan for a while. This album is a bit different, exploring a different angle of this artist. There are 3 tracks I would call "edgy", but the rest are sublime.
on 14 December 2012
A good album, definitely worth getting. I found it easier to get into than Element Of Freedom, more instant gratification.
On the down side, Girl on Fire is a decent track but it's a shame they decided to go with the worst version New Day generally gets skipped over and limitedless sounds like a strange reggae/Madonna hybrid. Doesn't work for me. That said the positives by far out way the negatives. Tears always win, Not Even the King and That's When I Knew are strong offerings but the standout track for me is the wonderful One Thing. Love it.
on 15 December 2012
I have always liked Alicia's music and there were some tracks that really got under my skin, but I was almost never been able to listen through a whole album.

Now, this one - this one I can't stop listening to. I've waited for this one since the beginning of her career. This is a definite step forward - the tracks tell a story one after another and the freedom of musical expression is definitely progressed far ahead.

Bought this one without hesitation.
on 11 May 2013
Brought as a gift for my better half. Did to think it would be my kind of music but very pleasant on the ear.