5.0 out of 5 stars The Loveliest Read in the Kindle Store
Published 21 months ago by MrsB

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..
I've read all of Jenny Colgan's books and I was so looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations in fact I have to say I don't think there is really a story worth writing about here. The story seems very patchy.
Published 17 months ago by Mrs. N. J. Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars The Loveliest Read in the Kindle Store, 20 Mar 2013
I didn't even read the reviews of The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris before I bought it as having read Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe, I knew I liked the authors style of writing and therefore knew I couldn't go far wrong with Chocolate and Paris. It's a perfect read, beautiful descriptions of the most romantic city in the world and lovely believable romances taking place there. It's a great book and the description of Claire and her cancer battle are amazing, touching and well handled. I did shed tears but I also smiled lots. I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will make your mouth water and your heart melt, 26 May 2013
Jenny Colgan has done it again! She has concocted another sweet morsel of a novel in The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris.

When an accident in a chocolate factory in the North of England left thirty-year-old Anna Trent lying in a hospital with two missing toes, she thought her life was never going to be the same again. That was before she knew that her French Teacher, Claire, was in the same hospital room as her. Claire, a patient with terminal Cancer, kept Anna company whilst in hospital. Then she made Anna a proposition of a life-time: To work in a chocolate shop in Paris owned by the only man whom Claire ever loved, Thierry Girard--a master chocolatier.

As the sun rises over the Pont de Neuf, and the cobbled alleyways of Paris come to life, Anna Trent is busy making chocolates the old fashioned way--by hand. As she mixes, blends and tastes the finest chocolates in Paris, the Chateau Chocolat sells them to the grandes dames of Paris.

As the story unfolds, you get to meet and love Claire as she tells the story of her younger self who was sent as an Au Pair (Nanny) to Paris to mind the children of her mother's life-long pen pal, Madame Legarde. While in Paris the young Claire meets and falls in love with the town's master chocolatier, Thierry Girard, owner of the prestigious Le Chateau Chocolat. The pair fall helplessly in love until Claire has to return home to England to resume her studies, leaving behind the man she truly ever loved.

Years later, through Anna Trent, Claire and Thierry meet again and relive their romance for one last time. This book made me cry in places and made my mouth water. I fell in love with the book's characters, the chocolate and the city that brought this book to life. I have always wanted to see Paris and this book transports me to the city of light and romance without having to purchase a ticket. At the end of the book Colgan features a repertoire of chocolate recipes guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds. Each recipe is tested by Colgan herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 7 April 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Kindle Edition)
One of the best book that I've read in ages, couldn't put it down. Have recommended it to my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!!!, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Kindle Edition)
How can you beat a mix of Paris, good chocolate and romance. A really enjoyable read that lifts the spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 April 2013
Miss T. A. Gibson (Teesside, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Kindle Edition)
As you read the book it takes you on a truly wonderful journey, of which you feel part of. I actually felt as though I was in Paris, Jenny writes in such a way that you actually feel as though your there, living in her masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I was worried this book would be just more "chic lit" but it was a wonderful moving read that transported me back to Paris. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this book!, 25 May 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this book down - within a few pages I was hooked and I thought this was a really wonderful story. I always love Jenny Colgan's books and I actually thought this was one of her best. Thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who likes her books or just enjoys a good easy read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 21 Jun 2013
Beautiful book which really draws you in to the romance of Paris & it's strong characters keep you hooked. Made me cry & can't wait for a sequel - please write one :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.., 22 July 2013
Mrs. N. J. Greenwood "NIC" (staffs) - See all my reviews
You read the story through the main characters eyes and at the same time there are past snippets from a friend of the main character when she lived in Paris, which I tried to read but I felt that the only way to read this book in the end was to skip through the friends past snippets as they bored me. I wouldn't waste your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best example of foodie chick-lit, 16 Jun 2013
Not sure why I bought this book - I have tried her Sweet shop book and just couldn't get into it. But I love chocolate and Paris so I thought it was worth a go. I suspected that my first instincts about this book not being for me were correct within the first chapter - the action kicking off with our heroine falling into a vat of chocolate and the 'jokey' aside about people pooing in chocolate. Colgan attempts to give depth to this book with the addition of the ill French teacher and her parallel storyline set in 70s Paris, but the author lacks the writing chops of say JoJo Moyes to pack any real emotional punch. All in all - a sweet idea but there are so many books out there that do this travel/foodie chick-lit thing so much better. Younger readers might enjoy it but I would say anyone over 25 would be better off trying Stella Newman or Eloise James' Paris in Love - which has similar themes (it's non fiction) but is a much more layered and well-written book.

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris