on 23 April 2013
I came across this novel when browsing the new releases and thought it looked interesting and worth a read. I'm glad I took the punt because the Cuckoo's Calling is a terrific mystery story. The brother of a troubled model calls in a private investigator following her death in what the police are treating as suicide. Everything points to this but as we get deeper in to the novel it becomes clear that all is not as it seems.

The private investigator Cormoran Strike is a terrific character: ex-army turned P.I going through a messy separation from his fiancé and whose business is in real financial trouble he is immediately sympathetic. The other characters, from eccentric fashion designers to drug-addicted musicians feel real and the dialogue is believable. The mystery is satisfyingly complex with a nice conclusion that I didn't see coming.

One of the things that really set this book apart for me in the crowded genre of private investigator fiction was the quality of writing, depth of character and the wonderful sense of place Galbraith brings to the novel. Galbraith's vivid descriptions bring the story to life and we feel like we are there with Strike and his temporary secretary Robin as they solve the mystery. I suppose I would describe this as quite an old-fashioned style thriller with an emphasis placed on interviewing witnesses and gathering clues rather than action and this really helped with the character development.
I hope there will be more books in the series and I'll certainly read them if they are released. Very highly recommended.

p.s: excellent narration of the audio book from Robert Glenister.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 September 2013
When celebrated supermodel Lula Landry falls to her death from the balcony of her pent house apartment in the early hours of a bitter cold, snowy January morning, the media is cast into a frenzy; every inch of the model's life front page news, speculation over the circumstances of her death rife... did she jump or was she pushed? The eventual conclusion of the police enquiry is suicide, supported by Landry's troubled past and history of bipolar disease and mental instability; and slowly the tide following her death starts to wane. As such when 3 month's later Landry's adoptive brother approaches Mr Cormoran Strike, retired war veteran and private detective, asking him to re-investigate his sister's death, Strike can but be surprised. Landry's brother must surely be delusional from his grief if he expects Strike to uncover anything the police did not, after all cases hardly come any more high profile? Yet for some reason Strike agrees to take on the case, and with some assistance from his new temporary secretary, Robin, slowly begins to uncover the terrible truth behind Landry's death!

As a fan of the Harry Potter series I was both excited and dubious on approaching this book; but was not left disappointed. Given that all the Potter books contain an element of mystery solving at heart, it was perhaps not surprising to find Galbraith's first true venturing into the crime genre so assuredly written, with that same attention to detail, that clever plotting, littering of clues and red herrings that has always served her so well. I particulalry liked the fact this felt like an old fashioned detective story, in the veins of Agatha Christie; with Strike mostly relying on his interviewing skills, asking the right questions, paying attention to the small details and his ability to read characters. Indeed the story unfolds at a gentle pace, for the most part focusing on Strike as he interviews the various characters involved and slowly starts to put the pieces of the jigsaw together. This is by no means an action thriller, with chases and near escapes galore; but rather a character driven story, exploring the motivations and psychology of those closest to Landry and of course the dead model herself.

And what characters Galbraith creates! From mercenary lawyers, gold-digging wives,and camp designers, the Cuckoo's Calling is filled with a host of colourful and vibrant characters. At the novel's beating heart, however, is Cormoran Strike; and it is in her story's hero that Galbraith has really excelled herself. Though Strike makes for an unconventional hero, it is impossible not to warm to him; with his stoicism no matter what, his integrity and sense of pride, and of course his underlying vulnerabilities. He too has a checkered and coloured past, of which hopefully more will be revealed in a future sequel; together with I hope more background on his delightful and resourceful secretary Robin. Indeed the interactions between the two of them and their evolving friendship through the story provided a good balance of light and humour to the actual case; though it will be interesting to see in which direction Galbraith takes their relationship, whether it will be purely platonic or develop into something romantic (as there was definitely a hint of some chemistry there).

One of the story's particular strengths I thought was how well Galbraith creates the privileged and flash world of the rich and famous; yet also the cost of such fame, be it be paparazzi constantly on their backs, that sense the world has of these people belonging to them, of having the right to know the ins and outs of their lives, a sense of persecution almost. She also paints a haunting yet unfortunately realistic picture of the prejudice and stigma still attached to mental health issues as well as drug addiction, and how weak and vulnerable the victims usually are.

Overall a very impressive debut in the crime genre; though by no means perfect. I think it was fairly easy to guess the murderer's motives and as such entertain an idea of who it might be; though I have to say I did then keep dismissing the idea, unable to quite put it all together. But still the ending didn't have quite the shock factor or impact that it perhaps could have done. Hopefully having laid the foundations for her crime fighting duo in this first novel, Galbraith will be able to take the series to higher strengths and as such I look forward to the sequel.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 July 2013
So many reviews and that tells the story alone. J K Rowling is a literary sensation, after Harry Potter I confess I was slightly let down by Casual Vacancy, but I think I didn't bring enough to the book, and some of the overt politics grated.
However this book I loved. It shows a strong narrative ability that gives the lie to those that think that Rowling is just "lucky". She clearly works hard at her plotting and though over long in places the chapters keep pace and are always illuminating the plot.

I like the Robert Galbraith name, it gives her a chance in the tradition of other authors (King, Christie) to step away from the Potter brand - as a crime debut novel it is very good and I for one hope that she keeps the conceit going when she writes book two. The novel feels contemporary and realistic to the London I know and grounded in realistic and rich characters. Her opening chapters about the arrival of a temp to a new job ring true to someone who has temped and show that she has done her research and kept her grounded feel that the early Potter books had. The thing to remember about Rowling is that she writes books that are worth reading, she may not be writing the kind of literary fiction that one would study on an English Lit course, but she IS writing the kind of work that connects, enthrals and entertains readers. Sometimes a little misanthropic in its view of life but all in all a very absorbing read and I look forward to more in the series.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a wonderfully entertaining new crime debut, which although it contains nothing amazingly original, works really well. Firstly, there is the main character, Cormoran Strike - a wounded war veteran, with a troubled past, damaged love life and financial woes, which see him sleeping in his office when we first meet him. Strike has left the army, which provided him with the structure and home life his mother never could, and set up as a Private Detective. The only problem is, a lack of paying clients. He then receives a new temporary secretary, Robin Ellacott, with her slightly stuffy fiance and her secret desire to be a detective. Both Strike and Robin, are fully fleshed out characters that we care about deeply by the end of the book.

The crime Strike is asked to investigate involves a famous supermodel, who falls (or is pushed) from her balcony on a snowy, London night. Lula Landry is the adopted daughter of a wealthy family and her adopted brother is insistent that she had no suicidal feelings when he met up with her that day. As Strike sets out to investigate, we are introduced to a cast of identifiable characters - the effeminate dress designer, drug taking Paparazzi avoiding boyfriend, disgrunted 'wannabee' film star chauffeur, elderly, dying mother, disapproving family members, etc. Although the plot is really quite a simple one, it works very well. The author has created a totally realistic scenario, with London almost becoming an extra character as Strike walks the streets and a satisfactory plot with a good cast of suspects.

I would say that Cormoran Strike is the best new addition to the P I genre that I have read for a long time. He certainly deserves a series and I hope to see him appear in many more books. There were tantalising glimpses of his past which need much further exploration and perhaps the author can be kinder to him in the next book and, at least, get him a proper place to sleep. I feel he will serve the author well and deserves a little looking after! If you enjoy really intelligent, well written crime novels (P D James, etc) then this will be a book you will love. Great start to what will, hopefully, become a long running series.

* After I reviewed this book I discovered it was, obviously, by J K Rowling. I hope that she continues the series, as I thought it was extremely good, although I have to admit to never having read (or, indeed, wanting to read) the Harry Potter books. If you do read this, then please judge it as a crime novel on it's own merits.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I only heard of this book when all the hoo-ha was made about the use of a pseudonym. I loved The Casual Vacancy last year and was actually pretty interested to see what Ms Rowling does under a different name - is this just a change in genre (M. C. Beaton), wanting a new audience (Dean Koontz writes under a female pen name), or like Stephen King, wanting not his name but his writing to sell itself (under the name Richard Bachman).

The Brontes all began with male pseudonyms to be taken more seriously. I didn't think once during the reading of this (or rather the listening - I read an audiobook version) about the name or history of the author. I was enjoying the whodunnit.

It's very good, in case you're wondering. I had no problem with the writing style, enjoyed the characters of Cormoran the private detective and Robin his temporary secretary. Both are well-rounded, smart, likeable, and itching to have further adventures together in a platonic, mutually respectful working relationship.

This is a crime thriller. A famous supermodel has died, having jumped from her flat to her death. Her adopted brother seeks out private detective Cormoran, himself damaged physically (by war) and mentally (by a non-traditional upbringing) to investigate Luna Landry's death, which he insists was murder. Deep in debt, Cormoran is at first exasperated to meet his new temp, Robin, but soon comes to appreciate and rely on her intelligence, skill and insight in his investigations. They meet models, designers, Luna's family and employees in a search for the truth.

With lots of suspects and twists, its a enjoyable jaunt through a familiar plot. I didn't guess the end, and it was a nice surprise. The book kept me interested. I could even picture the characters on a TV screen. The only fault I can find really is one of the genre - that of the exposition. The 'a-ha' scene where the detective confronts the suspect and spends several pages explaining how he knows they 'did it' and what it was they 'did'. But that's not the author's fault per se, it's a genre convention I find false and faltering.

Don't be put off by knowing the author's name if you're not a fan. It's a good example of the genre, a great puzzle to solve - judge by the writing not the writer.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 December 2013
"The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling) is good read for fans of mystery and thriller novels, although not perfect.

As it can be expected it from this all-around-the-globe known author there is a good plot and richly characterized characters. Main character is strangely named private detective from London, Cormoran Strike, at first a bit of stereotypical detective type, with a difficult past (disturbed childhood, ex-soldier who lost his leg in Afghanistan) but present as well (recently broken relationship, money problems, etc.). He struggles to adjust to life because of his handicap, and due to his hate for sympathy interesting personal struggle is pictured.

Due to money problems, struggling to keep going and continue his work as detective, Cormoran will be forced to accept job offer from a wealthy client although he sure there are not much to be investigated in this case. The client had a sister, famous and high profile supermodel who had allegedly committed suicide several months ago though client is sure she was murdered and wants detective Cormoran to investigate it.

The novel starts with arrival of assistant, named Robin, to Cormoran's office though detective is not sure when and why he even applied for assistant. These two characters, one who is detective and the other who wants to be one, plus thrilling investigation will produce thrilling and interesting story.
And what is good, the author didn't fell for some cliché, in terms of possible love affair between main two characters.

Also, avoiding too much spoiling, near the end of the book, case will seem to be solved that would leave reader a bit disappointed because of how predictable it all seemed.
All I can say is I was wrong that made me happy because I like to be surprised with the book ending.

Speaking about novel strengths, this is an interesting piece with well-developed characters and a complex plot enough to keep reader guessing.
The novel is placed in London, which adds to its atmosphere due to great descriptions of interiors and exteriors.
Its major drawback is book's length; although I like to read long books, with this one I found my attention dragging sometimes.
Being so rich in details that in my opinion weren't necessary keep things running too slow at the moments.
Thriller book should have a sharp pace, be a page turner keeping reader at the seat edge and unfortunately, this is not always the case with this one.

As final verdict, I could recommend "The Cuckoo's Calling" due to good plot and fantastic characters.
But in same time I advise readers to be patient through its almost 500 pages.
If you really like long books, you can increase my rating by ½ of star.

I suppose this is the beginning of new thriller series due to introducing of these two characters therefore I'm very interested to see in which direction author would go in the the sequel...
on 28 July 2014
Not a bad effort by Galbraith, and this review would be ten times more favourable but for one irritating and unnecessary flaw in the writing. Why does she insist on doing a "jeffery archer" by spelling some of the characters words phonetically? A lady from East London, and another from the West Indies both have their spoken words written in Patois by the author. Why? And why not have every other character in the book accorded the same? Surely Galbraith knows that the skill of the writer is in being able to describe speech patterns without having to revert to literally spelling them out for us. Crikey. I've never seen so many apostrophes on the one page. A bad habit which spoilt my concentration and detracted badly from what could have been an excellent thriller.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 July 2014
In the interests of full disclosure I'm not a Harry Potter fan - far from it. I'm not convinced that, without the 'accidental' reveal of the author's true identity, that this would have garnered the interest that it did had it been by an unknown author. On the positive side kudos to Ms Rowling for stepping outside her comfort zone, not all authors are brave enough or talented enough to do so. A (just)passable first attempt at a new genre. On the negative side as others have pointed out, far too much description in the early going and not enough happening. The plot doesn't make any substantial strides until around about the half way mark, which for an unknown author might not be enough for the average reader to be convinced to stick with it. There is a fine line between building up the tension in the plot and invoking a feeling of 'come on get on with it' in the reader. Also I had a strong feeling that I knew (correctly as it turned out) how it was going to end at about the three quarter mark. For me after all the descriptive prose early on, there was a bit of an unseemly rush to the ending. The jury is still out on whether I will buy the second in the series, certainly would not consider it at the full price it is currently available.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 April 2013
It's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is that makes The Cuckoo's Calling such a terrific new Private Investigator crime fiction debut. On the surface it seems straightforward, unexceptional and unambitious, everything fits the established conventions, there's nothing immediately new that stands out, and yet it's an utterly compelling read with strong characters that wraps you up completely and thrillingly into the investigation.

There's certainly nothing significantly new in the nature of the Private Detective at the centre of the book and series. Yes, the circumstances are a little different and the family background a little more colourful than most, but at heart, Cormoran Strike doesn't stray too far from the template - ex-army rather than ex-police, with a complicated personal life, a detective business that is on its last legs (no pun intended on Strike's service injury), clients are drying up, the loan that has set him up in London's Denmark Street is being called in and he's in the middle of a messy break-up with his fiancée. Nothing particularly noteworthy so far, not even the fact that the temp agency has just landed him with a new partner - sorry, a new secretary, Robin, who is only supposed to be around for a few weeks, but of course ends up making herself quite useful, not to say even indispensable, creating the obligatory mismatched team in the process.

There's nothing particularly exceptional either about the high profile case - the death of a supermodel - that lands in his lap and keeps the wolves away from the door just that little bit longer. Falling to her death from her third-floor Mayfair apartment, the verdict of suicide is obviously not accepted by the distraught brother of the family that had adopted her, even though she clearly had problems in the run up to her death, much of it stemming from a troubled relationship with her boyfriend, a Pete Doherty-style musician. For some reason there is particular emphasis made of the setting and the timing of the case, setting it specifically in London in 2010, in the last days of the Brown Labour government, without there seeming to be any particular social or political point to be drawn from this. Or perhaps there is some significance in the Amy Winehouse/Kate Moss celebrity lifestyle issues and pre-press hacking revelations that is worth exploring or considering. Even so, it hardly seems to be a subject that is going to make any major revelations.

And yet, The Cuckoo's Calling does indeed prove to be utterly compelling in its depiction of every aspect of this world that the investigation delves into. Like the main investigator team, the various colourful characters that they come into contact with during the investigation do often appear to fit standard types - film producers, fashion designers and big business corporate types on one side, contrasted that with ordinary working class security guards, chauffeurs, hangers-on and wannabes from the other side of London. Every bit of behaviour and every line of dialogue however is well-chosen, precise, accurate and revealing of the nature of the characters, and all the social content that is dredged up seemingly in passing proves to be in some way relevant to the questions of identity and background that the case raises.

If it's hard to pick out anything particularly striking or original about The Cuckoo's Calling, there is however this feeling of it being of a whole. The Private Investigator and his secretary Robin are not outsiders looking in on the lives of the people in their case, but they are as much a part of the whole fabric of the work, their involvement giving an authentic dynamic that interacts with the specific case and the people involved here and gets to the heart of the matter in a surprisingly effective and realistic manner. Undoubtedly, the strength of any great new series of detective fiction lies in establishing a firm connection between the PI and the world they operate in, and Robert Galbraith's creation of Strike and Robin in the contrasts of London life is subtly masterful, but just as importantly, the case is also brought to a good resolution. This is a very fine start to what looks like being a richly rewarding new crime series.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 July 2014
Wish I had enjoyed it more... It's not very engaging in the first two thirds and then (when the second body is found) it races towards the end. It definitely becomes better after this, but the revelation of the culprit left me furious and thinking what was the point of writing the whole thing really. Doesn't make sense, the end. Yes, the construction of the plot evolves well, but for the choice of villain. It had occurred to me very early in the reading that the end could be like that. But that was the option I least liked, because it was the most obviously splashy. So, frustration and disappointment came along when I finished. It took time to warm to the main characters too, Strike and Robin. They only became familiar and comfortable way past middle of the story. Some of the episodes are nevertheless very well captured. But I wanted the end to be different. So, I'll give it an OK, feeble though... And I'm not looking very hard to reading the just out new Galbraith novel.