4.0 out of 5 stars Roll on the next one!
Published 18 months ago by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars OKAY
Being an older reader I do find these books rather gritty describing the lowest behaviour, but suspect younger readers will enjoy it. I tried a couple of her books which are written well I just found the content somewhat base in some places, but I'm sure is quite accurate in some areas of society. Just not for me.
Published 2 months ago by Pam

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll on the next one!, 30 Jan 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Broke (Paperback)
I have mentioned in previous reviews that although I consider myself a fan, I don't LOVE every MH book I read. Having said that her last book Lost Angel was absolutely brilliant. With that in my mind I was really looking forward to reading the new release Broke. The story centres on Amy who at a young age and with a baby on the way marries Mark. Within the first two chapters I had the urge to slap Amy around the face and ask her what she was playing at. The character Mark is an absolute idiot and one that I loathed from the very beginning. A few years later and with another child in tow Amy and Mark find themselves stuck in the doldrums. When Mark loses his job and his gambling gets out of hand he makes the major mistake of borrowing money from the local loan shark Lenny Yates.

From that point on the story takes a rather sinister and dark turn. Lenny Yates decides that Amy can pay off Mark's debts his way. For fear of giving plot spoilers I don't want to divulge any more of the story, but hence to say things are not particularly nice for Amy and her children. As Amy's world takes a turn for the worse, her situation spirals and becomes almost unbelievable. The one thing I would say is that Mandasue touches on many subjects that are hard to deal with. Although Amy's situation made me feel sympathetic towards her, I also felt irritated by her as a character. The fact that her life is all about Mark and nobody else grated on me, and at times it seemed like her children came second although at the end this seemed to have done a 360 degree turn? That was my only real bugbear about the book.

Other than that, the story drew me in and I went through quite a few emotions from pure rage at reading what characters were doing to sheer irritation at how stupid they can be! I managed to read this in just under 4 hours which is a record even by my standards. It's certainly written in a way that makes you want to keep reading. Although I really liked this book her previous book Lost Angel was outstanding. That and the fact that Amy irritated me so much means it's only a 4/5 read from me, but still a great read. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge Mandasue fan and she hasn't let me down. This was a page turner from start to finish, I couldn't put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Mandasue goes Broke!, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Hardcover)
Well Mandasue I have to say you did not disappoint with your new release Broke, a great read from the first page. Broke is gritty and true to real life, thing that happen to the main character Amy are believable, loan sharks, drugs, and abuse, just a few themes that run through this book. Although I did not particularly take to Amy, you could not help feeling some sympathy for her spiral into drugs and the abuse she suffers. Mandasue Heller certainly knows how to keep the reader engrossed in her books with characters you will love or despise, as well as keeping the story "real". I gave this book four stars only because this is not my favourite book of Mandasue Heller. On the other hand each book she writes goes from strength to strength, Mandasue is definitely one of my favourite author's. I would offer a word of advice to anyone just about to read Broke, clear your schedule as you wont want to be interrupted, once you start reading Broke that's for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Broke, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic,I couldn't put it down until I finished it.This is my favourite Mandasue book yet,I didn't want it to end. Strongly recommend to anybody....well done Mandasue :-) x

4.0 out of 5 stars Broke, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
I have read all her books and have enjoyed them all, Broke had good reviews that's why I chose this, it was another good read but I think some of her previous books may have been better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gd read, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
A good read. Characters interesting. A little disappointed story could have been better. Worth reading but not one of her best.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping stuff, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
a fab story that has you gripped from beginning to end.you despair with amy at times, you want to slap her,shake her then you want to cry with her.all the things a damn good book should do!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwrenching, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
Chilling. Compelling and controversial! Had me in tears in the end. A must read from Heller, I read it in one night. Excellent, as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read once again, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
Well you did it again kept me up all hours to get this book finished!!
A must read for everyone!!!
Not going to spoil anything and give the storyline away....Go read it yourself!!!
You will not be disapointed!!!
Only bad thing about this book is it ended

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Broke (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put it down absolute page turner recommend this book thoroughly can't wait till her next book is released brilliant

Broke