5.0 out of 5 stars Take the plunge
Initially I was doubtful about the whole concept of multitools. Were they a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, given the fact I already have a circular saw, jigsaw, drills, planer, chisels and various hand saws. Also, those blades looked a bit puny, with few teeth, and a reputation for quickly going blunt.

Anyway, I took a chance, and now wonder how I...
Published 15 months ago by wessenden

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed on first use - twice!
Bought one to remove the grout from the bathroom. The first one lasted about 2 hours then just stopped working. No warning. Switched it off and it just wouldn't switch on again. Returned to Amazon for a replacement (which took over two weeks to arrive).

Published 13 months ago by Tailspin

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the plunge, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMF 190 E Multifunctional Allrounder Set: Oscillating Multi-Tool with 13 Accessories (DIY & Tools)

Anyway, I took a chance, and now wonder how I ever did without it! It's tremendously useful for a whole range of fiddly tasks, like fitting door hinges and striking plates, cut outs for latches, small plunge cuts in pieces of wood, shaping wood (even on top of a ladder where a jigsaw or chisel would be a no-no), cutting laminate flooring, slicing thru tongues on floorboards to allow lifting, cutting nails and pipes, and so on.

This particular tool seems fairly robust, with enough power for every task I've put it to so far. I was initially going to get the battery version, but reviews indicated the battery life was quite poor. I can well imagine this, as the small blades can take a fair bit of time to do deeper cuts in wood. Also it's easy to hold and use, although the Allen key fixing of blades is a bit slow. I realise now that you often have to change blades, so it might have been better to pay the extra for the PMF250.

Talking of blades, I recommend new users to check out the Bosch "C Tec" range. These weren't mentioned in my brochure from Bosch, but they have a slight curve to the toothed edge, which makes cutting easier than with the straight edged variety. Also, if you're using the delta sanding attachment (which I thought would be a gimmick, but is actually brilliantly effective), I recommend you use Bosch's sanding pads, as I found cheap alternatives didn't have the same lifespan or sanding power.

The tool came in a great little plastic carry case, with a small selection of blades and sanding pads. There's enough room in there for a whole heap of extra blades and pads, which you will almost certainly need. Therein lies the main drawback, as the consumables are pretty expensive and fairly short lived.

But the benefits outweigh the costs, so I'd recommend this tool to any keen DIYer. Also the seller is recommended, providing the item at a good price with a quick delivery time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed on first use - twice!, 21 Oct 2013

The replacement lasted 2 hours then failed in exactly the same way as the first, even though I was extra careful to only use light pressure and minimise dust ingress. Again returned to Amazon, this time for a refund.

The unit looks great from outside - good mechanical engineering and removes grout accurately and quickly. However, after 2 dead units I am only about 40% of the way round the bathroom and it will take until Christmas at this rate!

I have no idea what Bosch are doing releasing a product with such an obvious design fault. I thought Bosch were supposed to be a high quality manufacturer!!! Buy this product if you want something that will look nice in your garage. If you actually want to use it then buy a better one or hire something.

Update 23/10/13: hired a professional product (Fein with diamond blade) for about £25 and finished de-grouting the bathroom in about 3 hours. This is what I should have done in the first place as the Bosch unit is clearly not up to the job and the Fein is too expensive to buy for a one-off job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh it's good. It's very good., 12 Jan 2013
OK, so to those that own a Dremel... You know that warm, smug feeling you get when you use it on small jobs? The how-did-I-ever-live-without-it feeling? Well, this gives you that, but for bigger jobs.

It's brilliant.

I'd never even considered an Oscillating tool necessary but was quite taken by Cel's offering, having owned lots of their other bits including the big Power8 Workshop. A few reviews later, the Bosch tool had nudged ahead and I ordered, not even really knowing what I was going to use it for. Well, this past week I decided to do some fabricating. First, I made a wine rack out of guttering... Sounds odd, works and looks great. The big cutting blade made light work of the thick-sided tube and the sanding pads finished it nicely. Next up was a shelving add-on for my desk and the Plunge Saw attachment came into its own as I made a rectangular hole for locating one of the shelves. No idea how I would have done these jobs without this tool... Would have taken an awful lot longer, that's for sure.

It's comfortable to use and the fact you can spin the attachment round to suit is genius. The cable is just about the perfect length. The speed control switch does actually make a surprising difference... Some jobs are just better if you turn it down a notch.

The sanding pads don't last long. That's probably the only down side I can come up with. They did a good job though.

So what was an unnecessary, spur-of-the-moment, luxury purchase has become an indispensable part of my toolbox. So very versatile, it can turn its hand to most jobs it seems.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and easy-to-use, but broke down!, 18 Dec 2012
The first job was to remove lighting track that had been set flush into a ceiling and plastered round with no access to the fixing brackets, which had been nailed onto the beams above.

The TC Riff segment saw cut through the plaster, very neatly right along the edge of the track. The metal-cutting blade then cut the track into lengths in situ with minimal damage to the ceiling, allowing me to pull it down.

Without this saw I would have had to chisel it out, making an enormous amount of damage to the ceiling.

Removing short sections of floorboard is also a doddle.

This is an oscillating saw, not a circular saw, so it doesn't throw debris away from the blade, it just falls, making far less mess. No rotating blade also makes it much safer and less likely to cause injury.

Bought Dec 2012, broke down august 2013 after being used six times. Disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, except for the blades....., 15 Jun 2013
As you would expect with a Bosch tool, it works a treat! I bought it to remove some old skirting boards and to cut some architraves to fit new floor tiles. It excelled at this however after cutting about 6 small pieces of wood (how big are modern Skirtings and architraves??) the blade was almost devoid of teeth!! On a big plus this kit cost me £89.99 from Amazon.....in B&Q it's £129.99!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after about 6 months!, 13 July 2014
Just stopped working. Bought in January this year - now July and it's useless. Have used it about 10 times on different DIY jobs - reasonable use (i.e. not abused). Looking on the web it seems this sudden terminal failure is quite common. Of course it's outwith the Amazon return date so I'm left trying to sort it out with Bosch. I'm annoyed as I bought this brand thinking it was reliable and well made. From my experience I'd advise caution if you're considering buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars faulty item, 2 Jan 2014
Seen product on your website of which looked like a good tool to have so ordered it for my father who is a keen diy'er.

My father went to start a job and the tool didn't work.
I am very disappointed giving my father a christmas gift that didn't work.

This is why im giving this product a rating of one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good... but expensive., 18 Feb 2013
R. Stonn - See all my reviews
I originally bought the 180 set, but there was a problem with Amazons software and they sent me the 180 "barebones", after I pointed out their mistake they let me choose again and I bought this... no regrets at all! Sometimes bad things happen for a good reason and this was one of those times, in Amazons defense they sent me my new choice with one day shipping - free!

Ok, on to the real review:

I am in no way a pro so keep that in mind when reading my review, I can be classified as "don't want to pay a pro so do most of my handyman stuff myself" and " a person who likes working with his hands".

This is my first time with a tool like this, I am used to the more "traditional spinning" tool or a "up and down, saw like" tool but I love this!
I was really surprised with the noise it makes though, its LOUD! Especially when you are cutting something, to say it makes a racket is an understatement.

I have only used the wood/metal blade so far and these are my results:
With hardwood its going to take quite a while to cut through or you might need a different blade that comes with this set.
It's slow, but quite accurate - patience required.

One of the boards I cut had plastic in the middle (which I did not know about) and that screwed up my blade, but I then cut another softwood and it took out the plastic bits that had gotten stuck to my blade.

On softwood it goes like a hot blade (pun intended!) through butter!

Waiting for my Acrylic sheets to arrive for me to test it on that... but so far I dont foresee any problems for when they arrive.

Have not tried the sanders as yet but they seem like good quality so I dont think I'll have a problem with that as well.

Why 4 stars? Well, I cut off one star because the blades are a complete rip-off! They are ****ing expensive!!! And they have no reason to be so expensive except because the company can charge as much as they want to.

Hope that helped!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Dec 2013
It is ideal for small detailed work. I used it for cutting skirting boards to set a fireplace and it did the job admirably. I do not believe it will replace the more traditional tools as it does take a while to cut.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Tool, 29 Jan 2013
Brillant piece of kit, wished I purchased sooner. It's certainly a multi-function tool and does what it says on the box. Only down side is the replacement blades are not cheap.