on 17 August 2013
Initially I was doubtful about the whole concept of multitools. Were they a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, given the fact I already have a circular saw, jigsaw, drills, planer, chisels and various hand saws. Also, those blades looked a bit puny, with few teeth, and a reputation for quickly going blunt.

Anyway, I took a chance, and now wonder how I ever did without it! It's tremendously useful for a whole range of fiddly tasks, like fitting door hinges and striking plates, cut outs for latches, small plunge cuts in pieces of wood, shaping wood (even on top of a ladder where a jigsaw or chisel would be a no-no), cutting laminate flooring, slicing thru tongues on floorboards to allow lifting, cutting nails and pipes, and so on.

This particular tool seems fairly robust, with enough power for every task I've put it to so far. I was initially going to get the battery version, but reviews indicated the battery life was quite poor. I can well imagine this, as the small blades can take a fair bit of time to do deeper cuts in wood. Also it's easy to hold and use, although the Allen key fixing of blades is a bit slow. I realise now that you often have to change blades, so it might have been better to pay the extra for the PMF250.

Talking of blades, I recommend new users to check out the Bosch "C Tec" range. These weren't mentioned in my brochure from Bosch, but they have a slight curve to the toothed edge, which makes cutting easier than with the straight edged variety. Also, if you're using the delta sanding attachment (which I thought would be a gimmick, but is actually brilliantly effective), I recommend you use Bosch's sanding pads, as I found cheap alternatives didn't have the same lifespan or sanding power.

The tool came in a great little plastic carry case, with a small selection of blades and sanding pads. There's enough room in there for a whole heap of extra blades and pads, which you will almost certainly need. Therein lies the main drawback, as the consumables are pretty expensive and fairly short lived.

But the benefits outweigh the costs, so I'd recommend this tool to any keen DIYer. Also the seller is recommended, providing the item at a good price with a quick delivery time.
on 12 January 2013
OK, so to those that own a Dremel... You know that warm, smug feeling you get when you use it on small jobs? The how-did-I-ever-live-without-it feeling? Well, this gives you that, but for bigger jobs.

It's brilliant.

I'd never even considered an Oscillating tool necessary but was quite taken by Cel's offering, having owned lots of their other bits including the big Power8 Workshop. A few reviews later, the Bosch tool had nudged ahead and I ordered, not even really knowing what I was going to use it for. Well, this past week I decided to do some fabricating. First, I made a wine rack out of guttering... Sounds odd, works and looks great. The big cutting blade made light work of the thick-sided tube and the sanding pads finished it nicely. Next up was a shelving add-on for my desk and the Plunge Saw attachment came into its own as I made a rectangular hole for locating one of the shelves. No idea how I would have done these jobs without this tool... Would have taken an awful lot longer, that's for sure.

It's comfortable to use and the fact you can spin the attachment round to suit is genius. The cable is just about the perfect length. The speed control switch does actually make a surprising difference... Some jobs are just better if you turn it down a notch.

The sanding pads don't last long. That's probably the only down side I can come up with. They did a good job though.

So what was an unnecessary, spur-of-the-moment, luxury purchase has become an indispensable part of my toolbox. So very versatile, it can turn its hand to most jobs it seems.

Highly recommended.
on 18 February 2013
I originally bought the 180 set, but there was a problem with Amazons software and they sent me the 180 "barebones", after I pointed out their mistake they let me choose again and I bought this... no regrets at all! Sometimes bad things happen for a good reason and this was one of those times, in Amazons defense they sent me my new choice with one day shipping - free!

Ok, on to the real review:

I am in no way a pro so keep that in mind when reading my review, I can be classified as "don't want to pay a pro so do most of my handyman stuff myself" and " a person who likes working with his hands".

This is my first time with a tool like this, I am used to the more "traditional spinning" tool or a "up and down, saw like" tool but I love this!
I was really surprised with the noise it makes though, its LOUD! Especially when you are cutting something, to say it makes a racket is an understatement.

I have only used the wood/metal blade so far and these are my results:
With hardwood its going to take quite a while to cut through or you might need a different blade that comes with this set.
It's slow, but quite accurate - patience required.

One of the boards I cut had plastic in the middle (which I did not know about) and that screwed up my blade, but I then cut another softwood and it took out the plastic bits that had gotten stuck to my blade.

On softwood it goes like a hot blade (pun intended!) through butter!

Waiting for my Acrylic sheets to arrive for me to test it on that... but so far I dont foresee any problems for when they arrive.

Have not tried the sanders as yet but they seem like good quality so I dont think I'll have a problem with that as well.

Why 4 stars? Well, I cut off one star because the blades are a complete rip-off! They are ****ing expensive!!! And they have no reason to be so expensive except because the company can charge as much as they want to.

Hope that helped!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 June 2013
As you would expect with a Bosch tool, it works a treat! I bought it to remove some old skirting boards and to cut some architraves to fit new floor tiles. It excelled at this however after cutting about 6 small pieces of wood (how big are modern Skirtings and architraves??) the blade was almost devoid of teeth!! On a big plus this kit cost me £89.99 from Amazon.....in B&Q it's £129.99!!!
on 18 December 2012
The first job was to remove lighting track that had been set flush into a ceiling and plastered round with no access to the fixing brackets, which had been nailed onto the beams above.

The TC Riff segment saw cut through the plaster, very neatly right along the edge of the track. The metal-cutting blade then cut the track into lengths in situ with minimal damage to the ceiling, allowing me to pull it down.

Without this saw I would have had to chisel it out, making an enormous amount of damage to the ceiling.

Removing short sections of floorboard is also a doddle.

This is an oscillating saw, not a circular saw, so it doesn't throw debris away from the blade, it just falls, making far less mess. No rotating blade also makes it much safer and less likely to cause injury.

Bought Dec 2012, broke down august 2013 after being used six times. Disappointing!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 September 2013
I was initially a little sceptical about the usefulness of this, but then Amazon threw a slight wobby and offered it to me for a price I couldn't refuse. Duly grabbed and briefly tested, it sat in the garage forlornly eyeing up the wood piled in a corner.

Until last week when we finally got around to using a _lot_ of that wood to build a chicken run deluxe. This tool has been invaluable during the build in many ways. I am a wood n00b and stuck the uprights in postcrete before thinking about how to do the cross pieces, yet the plunge cutter allowed me to do very passable mortice and tenon joints with everything in situ. My missus, who actually went on a woodworking course and makes nice things (albeit very slowly) says that are pretty good, and whilst it could have been done the old way with a chisel we'd still be there now not getting it right if we'd gone that route.

Similarly, chopping the tops of the uprights off flush with the top rail is a piece of cake. I tried a manual saw and even a proper electric saw, but the one didn't cut where I pointed it and the other threatenend to shake everything apart.

The main trick I found to getting things neat is to have the plunge cutter set at right angles to the handle rather than the (to me) obvious in-line position - the handle is then easier to hold square to the job, and the cutter goes in square. As far as I can tell, that's the only real skill needed with this!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My wife bought me one of these as a Christmas present 15 months ago. I has just failed and wouldn't switch on.

I looked at the Amazon site and the guarantee through Amazon is 12 months. I thought that I would have to buy a new one. However, at the back of my mind, I thought that Bosch DIY tools were guaranteed for 24 months.

A quick trawl of the Bosch website confirmed this to be the case. OK the provided phone number was wrong, but ringing that number provided a recorded mesage of the correct number.

To cut a long story short, the faulty tool was picked up by courier and in less than a week, I have a brand new tool from Bosch. The guarantee is limited to 24 months from the original purchase date.

Having purchased from Amazon in the first place, the only thing evidence that I needed to provide to Bosch was the original receipt and they happily accepted a printout of the original Amazon order (which was easy once I foudn the original order in my account).

So, in summary: I do really rate Bosch tools and this one is no exception. However, when things do go wrong, whcih will happen every so often, Bosch's customer care was very good.
on 3 December 2013
It is ideal for small detailed work. I used it for cutting skirting boards to set a fireplace and it did the job admirably. I do not believe it will replace the more traditional tools as it does take a while to cut.
on 29 January 2013
Brillant piece of kit, wished I purchased sooner. It's certainly a multi-function tool and does what it says on the box. Only down side is the replacement blades are not cheap.
on 25 March 2013
I bought this after using a professional one for a while from a friend.
I don't see much difference in quality and the blades seem to last pretty long provided you use them correctly.
Comes in so handy for door frames and when I was adjusting my roof construction for proper isolation
Pro
- cuts through hard wood and (softer) metals pretty easy
- used it with ease on nails, screws, metalstuds, laminated wood, hardwood, vinyl, lead and even some drywall
- very usefull for cutting out corners or specific shapes
- saves a lot of added work when in need to cut something that is in a hard to reach place (close to the floor for instance) or that needs disassembly without this tool
cons
- use ear protection because it may not be super super loud, it still makes your ears ring after extended usage
- bought a longer cutter (Bosch 2609256945 AIZ28EB) because the included blades are all just a bit lacking