5.0 out of 5 stars Have some sense!
Published 5 months ago by GnG

1.0 out of 5 stars Defect on this item
I first purchased this item from Amazon and within 3 months it stopped working.

I had used the 1st item for some light work to trip a panel in the kitchen below the dish washer. I used it for about 20 minutes and put it away.

A month or so later I tried to cut some floor boards and the machine just stopped part way through the job.

Bosch...
Published 3 months ago by Witsend

1.0 out of 5 stars Defect on this item, 28 Sep 2014
Witsend (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PMF 190 E Multifunctional Allrounder: Oscillating Multi-Tool with Cutting Discs, Saw Blades and Sander Sheets (DIY & Tools)
I first purchased this item from Amazon and within 3 months it stopped working.

Bosch sent me a replacement and again I used the tool to finish my floor boards.

Months later I again tried to use the tool and it stopped again during use and will not restart.

The problem appears to be the switch on the tool.

I've reported to Bosch but they say its over 12 months old now and not under warranty.

In total I have used both tool for a maximum of 2 hours so this isn't a very reliable tool for the price.

Bosch needs to replace the switch they are using as its defective on these tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have some sense!, 21 July 2014
Bought one of these some time ago as it was less than £50 in a sale. Excellent product. Quite powerful and you really should use both hands to operate it. There have been a few negative reviews on this item and I can see why they are wrong. Firstly, if you are going to sand a lot then buy a sander; similarly, if you are going to cut a lot buy a saw (jig, circular etc.).

This item is for odd fiddly jobs - small cuts here, wee bit of sanding there. Its not a workstation that you pay £700 for. It is an accessory tool just as a Dremel is. What one fella was doing trying to cut off screw heads with a metal blade - God only knows.
As other posts have said - good for cutting skirting board, cutting out hole for socket back box, underneath door posts when putting in wooden floor, things like that. Dont expect it to do everything - and above all have a bit of sense and use big tools for big jobs as previously stated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine tool for cutting in awkward places or tough material, 8 Dec 2012
Handles nicely, lightweight, easy to hold with the blade in the most effective position.
Vibration is no problem for handling.
It's been in my posession now for a few weeks and I've used it four times, for cutting very hard HPL plates.
The result is very good.
The only reason I gave it less than 5 stars is the fact that (so far) the speed adjustment feature does not add any value. I only use it on top speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile tool, 6 Jun 2013
I have used this for cutting door surround that I was enlarging. I needed a cutting tool to cut flush and go through nails. This did the job easily and without any problems. I would recomend this tool to anyone and will be using it often. Also used it to cut channel in wood to create groove when router packed up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch Multi Tool, Multi Use, Multi Time Saver!, 26 Aug 2014
Another one of those tools that you think you wont use much but when you do it seems to save a massive amount of time and you wondered how you struggled using other equipment previously. Used it to trim already in place skirting when we divided up a room with a new stud wall, didn't have to rip all existing off, re-trim and replace, just cut a neat straight line down and pulled off the unwanted. Also used to cutting through floorboards, didn't have to pull up complete length, just cut across, midway above the joist. Loads easier. Good quality tool, will probably outlast my ability to perform home repairs competently!

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, master of none?, 30 Aug 2013
Dr. R. Jardine (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to make some awkward cuts in skirting board, which it did well. When I bought it I thought I would use it for sanding and other tasks, but its not a very powerful sander, and the other day I tried to use it to cut off a screw that was poking out of the wall (not my work!) and it just blunted the metal cutting blade. I resorted to my little dremel, that removed the protruding screw in no time. So this is not quite the all rounder I'd hoped it would be, and I really wouldn't recommend relying on this as a substitute for a dedicated sander.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing tool, 2 Jun 2013
I bought this machine to remove grout between tiles so damaged ones could be replaced. It is the perfect tool for this job using the genuine Bosch tungsten carbide blade (the non-Bosch version is not so good and does not live up to its claim for lsting twice as long). The dust produced doesn't fly around everywhere as it would with a rotating machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant little machine, 20 Oct 2014
Ftunaley "Frankie" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
brilliant little machine,more useful than you can imagine,Latest job pumpkin face,last job cutting out floorboards to access sub floor electrics also neatly slicing into plasterboard walls to extend ring main and fit extra sockets.
The list is only as long as your imagination.
This is my second one of these,the other one just stopped working halfway through a job,
I have now repaired it .The problem was the wire to the motor armature had failed at the power supply junction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes awkward limited access jobs easy, 14 April 2013
I hadn't even used one of these before. I bought it because I already had most other power tools and thought it might prove handy.
It works at very high speed so vibrates in a way that is easily held steady. Because of this and blades that are are differently shaped ( I got a kit of extra ones) you can cut wood, laminate, plastic, metal etc. accurately, even in very tight spots. The heat from friction and wear on its small blades working at high speed make it best run for no more than maybe 15 seconds continuously - but you can do quite a lot in that time.
I was very glad to have it the first time I used it, which was to help remove an old laminate floor and replace it with wood. It was ideal for getting the extra depth beneath door jambs. It was also good for getting a single broken floor tile out for replacement. I expect not to use it very often but to be very thankful to have it when needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but short lived, 23 Dec 2014
These new oscillating tools are excellent and can perform tasks you'd struggle to do with more traditional tools. The first job I used it for was to cut about 1cm from a kitchen worktop where it was recessed into the tiled wall. (A normal saw was used for the rest of the cut). This oscillating tool did the job in minutes, without effort and without disturbing the tiles.

The actual cut is only about 1mm wide. I used it to cut floorboards in order to lift the board to access wiring. The job was completed quickly, and the cut is so neat that when the board is replaced you can barely tell where the join is.

Another task I tested it on was cutting neat grooves in plastered wall to install a cable. I bought a tungsten carbide blade for this. Much less dust than using an angle-grinder. And fairly easy to do.

A friend had a sticking bathroom door. I used the tool to shave off a few mm from the part that was sticking. Easy. Virtually no sawdust. They were most impressed.

But after three months I needed to use the tool and it was dead. No response at all. It must have been used for a total time of about one hour. It's under warranty. Bosch efficiently collected it from me within 24 hours and took it for repair. Two weeks later I am still waiting for news of this lovely tool. I note from reviews here and elsewhere that others have had similar experience of the tool quickly failing.

So I couldn't recommend THIS particular item.

I have now bought a similar tool made by Erbauer. Cost about ten pounds more but is a much more robust and professional tool; more powerful, twice the weight AND much quieter than the Bosch PMF 190E. There are other similar products around, including more expensive models from Bosch.

Every DIY enthusiast or professional tradeperson needs a tool like this. Once you'd tried one you will realise you can't manage without. But I'd suggest not buying this PMF190E. It is lightweight and seems unreliable.