5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio for only £38
Published 20 months ago by MP3 Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price
Easy to use once you have got to grips with the menu but there plenty of help on the web to assist with the likes of setting up memories and CTCSS tones. It doesn't come up to some of the more expensive handhelds but then I didn't expect it to for the price. It is relatively sturdy in build quality and is an easy fit in one's pocket. My only real criticism is the...
Published 9 months ago by Mr John E Vivian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio for only £38, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (Electronics)
Compact and well finished. Better than I was expecting for the money feels solid. Though I've got a ham licence I mainly listen on 2m. Great to have the FM radio built in that's a feature I don't get on my other two Yaesu handhelds and even with the small speaker it goes plenty loud and will be worth carrying around just for that use. Lots of info on the web about these radios so if you have a particular operation in mind you'd best check it out there first but from my less than picky viewpoint this is great what can you get for £38 and if it eventually gets lost dropped or smashed up so what? The supplied manual is in fairly good English but is less detailed than say a Yaesu manual. Took me over an hour to find that to get the FM radio you press the side orange button once for instance the manual doesn't explicitly tell you this. But as said endless info on the web.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 3 Dec 2012
Excelent first Ham Radio or for an experienced ham looking fo a good handheld. For the price i was expecting a poor quality device but was pleasantly surprised how good this is, you could pay more than double and not get anything better.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the radio you need for not much money at all, 1 Aug 2013
M. Wilson - See all my reviews
I am very impressed with this radio.

I'm about to take my Foundation License Exam and Practical and have been enjoying working experimenting with this radio. It's a lot of radio for the money and would suit any licensed ham amateur, survivalist/prepper (do we have these in the UK?) or radio enthusiast.

Pros:
* It's small and robustly built. It probably wouldn't survive a 10 foot fall onto concrete but it's not an expensive radio either.
* Has the complete 2 meter VHF and 70 cm UHF bands. Including compatibility with PMR licence free frequencies (although it's not technically legal to transmit on these frequencies as it's eight times more powerful than OfCom allows).
* It's got an FM radio built in.
* It's a scanner too.
* It's programmable.
* It's got English voice prompts, a Chinese lady telling you what option you've selected in the menu (e.g. for menu item "SQL" she'd say, "Squelch"). This is nice but she doesn't talk on every menu option.
* Removable antenna.
* Accessory port (for hands free or fist microphone).
* Cheap.
* Easy to read (multicoloured backlit) display

Cons:
* Difficult to follow instructions for programming - a cable (and free "Chirp" software) is a mandatory accessory. Does not come programmed out of the box (e.g. if you are expecting PMR frequencies).
* You need a ham radio licence to use this legally.
* The antenna is an SMA female instead of the more common SMA male connector. Don't get caught out!

I have my radio programmed to the PMR frequencies, the International Spacestation VHF downlink and local repeaters. Until I pass my exam it's quite good fun to listen to the radio scanning these frequencies and listening to FM radio. The battery lasts several days between charges doing this. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 14 Nov 2013
I'm new to this ham radio business, been into CB radio since teenage years and just by coincidence whist browsing came across this.
Delivery was super quick, item was packaged ok, I did manage to do a quick repeater scan and pick up bus operators about 20+ miles from where I live in London.
After some researching online etc I've been enlightened that I will have to reprogramme to UK frequencies, I would guess it's programmed to here already since I'm picking up bus garage depot managers, this doesn't come with an usb programming cable so you'd have to buy one separately as I had to do, the construction of this unit is solid and I like how it's comfortable to hold , not too small or big.
I'm now in the process of reading books I bought via my Kindle and then do the test as remember if you are considering to get one which I would advise to any adult to do, is to do the Ham radio test as even if you talk no one will answer you if you don't hold a licence, a license for this gives you a call sign I have found out.
This is so handy to have as if in the case of natural disasters or in places of no mobile phone signal, this will get you in contact with someone who can offer/direct help to you, I've read this gives way better reception & signal compared to the standard walkie talkies, all in all so far I'm delighted with this product, it also has FM, which I find handy when out & about to listen to commmercial radio stations & VHF, which I never realised, sweet, I also managed to hear Ham operators on beacons in & around the M25, by using the scan button, for the price and speedy delivery, no faults so far, thanks much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baofeng cheap but really very good, 17 Oct 2012
Firstly the delivery of this radio was amazingly fast. It cam just 3 days after order. Nicely packaged in a smart box complete with everything including a uk power adapter.
The radio works really well although I'm still getting to grips with it. Build quality seems very good at this price. One piece of advice is to order the programming cable at the same time. I'll order it later but you will need it so may as well get it at same time
If you want a small radio or are starting out like e I would highly recommend this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 27 Nov 2012
Does what's intended, arrived quickly! Good bit of kit for starters in amatuer radio! Battery lasts ages, overall good quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Raadio, 8 Jan 2013
I bought this radio to be used as part of our 4x4 response group after seeing the reviews. I am well pleased with the radio and the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amazing Baofeng UV-5R +, 26 April 2013
I am truly delighted with this radio, the quality and build belies the price.
I really can highly recommend it. The performance is excellent and accessories very affordable.
I have an expensive Icom and an Alinco but enjoy the no fuss operation of the Baofeng. With a little practice setting the memories is a doddle.
If you want a well built good performing hand portable, look no further!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life!!! Literally., 18 Jan 2014
Saved my life one time. We got stranded in the middle of the country side where all our phones became useless. We had no signal on all three of the phones. Luckily we had radios and we where maybe 2miles out. Our car was stuck in a ditch and we were planning on spending the night in the car. It was so dark and we had no torches. Luckily the radios did. Then i went out to explorer and when i switched on my radio to radio in on the guys in the car. My friend must have had his radio switch on aswell...the friend who was 2miles sitting in a cosy 30 people apartment with all our family on our weekend holiday.... It was almost like a movie when we had lost all hope. We got all got a response which had alot of interference... So i ran back to the car and we all had the biggest grins like we all could see what this could mean. So i started radioing back and from there it was smooth sailing. Toed the car out called AA and enjoyed the weekend like we were meant to. Best purchase ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars UV-5R, 9 Jan 2013
I have found this radio to be excellent - once programmed in my computer with a data cable for the appropriate frequncies it's been great. It's easy to use with good audio and even has an FM radio facility Anyone wanting more information - the instruction book isn't great - a look on google for UV-5R will provide all the information required.
All in all a great radio at a fantastic price and delivered by return.