Plantronics M55 Bluetooth Headset
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:£19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 16 December 2012
I bought this headset mainly for voice calls, but also to listen to audio books and possibly some music if it was good enough. The headset comes with a soft gel ear bud contraption that fits inside your ear. I had never tried one of these before and was a little skeptical. However it fits my ear very snuggly and the headset doesn't ever fall out. A more traditional over-the-ear clip-on loop is also include as an option - I tried this but it wasn't as good as the in-the-ear bud. Any audio is clearly heard in the earpiece, and the biggest surprise is just how good it is when playing music. It picks up your voice very clearly too.

Good:
Very small and light
Fits snuggly inside the ear and doesn't fall out
Microphone points towards your mouth and does a good job of picking up your voice
Audible warnings let you know when the headset is connected to your phones/PCs
Proper sliding on/off switch
Decent battery life
In-ear design means you can wear it comfortably with spectacles
Micro-USB charging port, same as most modern mobile phones
Surprisingly good quality when listening to music too
Direct range about 10m between my headset and my Samsung Galaxy S2
Simultaneously connects to my phone and my Windows 7 laptop

Bad:
I can't get it to answer a call by speaking 'answer', haven't figured that out yet, although I'd rather just tap the headset to answer.

Conclusion:
Excellent.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 September 2013
Function well, as expected. Great quality for the price.
Just fits in the ear - it's very comfortable and doesn't drop.
on 18 June 2014
This is my first blue tooth headset. After I opened it I liked its appearance and when I wear it I just loved it.
It is an awesome headset.

Pros:
1> Very light weight. I can wear it full day without feeling anything. Sometimes I need to feel to ensure it is not fallen off.
2> Really hands free. No need to tap the headset to take the call. Just say ANSWER / IGNORE.
3> Noise cancelling is excellent at Outdoor.
4> Battery life is very good.

Cons:
1> In Indoor when you talk people at other side hear it as if you are talking from enclosed room. This is because of the noise cancelling technology. At outdoor no complain. I really didn't mind if it has little flaw when you use Indoor.

I will recommend to my friend and family this product.
on 15 November 2013
This headset is the best headset I've ever used. It's light enough to wear all day, the battery last longer than the phone and easily lasts several days. The sound is clear, as long as you don't have it on max. The voice answering works a treat.

It's easy to wear and use. The only problem I have is I keep leaving my phone on the table and walking away, to be told by a woman in my ear that she's lost connection when I get to the other side of the house. To use the headset you do have to be in range. :)
on 6 November 2013
This affordable headset is so much better than my old one.
I love the fact that it tells you how much battery life is remaining when switched on and that it has a physical on-off switch.
Its very clear and loud enough for me.
Having relatively small ears I find it works better for me with both the rubber in-ear piece and the over ear loop both attached.
Very comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
Easily paired with my note-3 phone and battery seems to go on for ever.
on 2 January 2014
Fantastic product.
Tells talk time left and direct answer og ignore mode
Fine sound and clear talk
Go for it
on 10 January 2013
I'd like to recommend this headset to anyone who wants a sleek, efficent and up-to-date headset to use while traveling using any form of transportation. I Have used a few headsets, albeit cheaper and of a lesser brand than this plantronics device and none come close to how good this little kit is. Its perfect to use either to talk to someone hands free or as a media earpiece for listening to music, audio books etc AAA+++
on 4 December 2013
The first problem I had with the headset was the voice control didn't work at all. I had a replacement from plantronics and now the voice control works sometimes. It responds to ignore very easily but 'answer' it doesn't seem to respond without repeating answer several times and in several different ways. This is disappointing.

Talk time is fantastic at 11 hours.

I bought the headset to make using waze easier. The spoken instructions via the in built phone speaker were virtually impossible to hear due to their standard voices being mumblers and the iphone being too quiet. Via a bluetooth headset they are fully understandable.

Call quality with the headset is much better than with my old one. Callers don't say 'you sound weird'. Other people sound fine. Not fantastic and they can be a little buzzy at times, especially if you use any of the louder settings. Also in ear placement does seem to make a slight difference with that so experiment.

The best feature of the headset is that you can hold the home button and activate Siri which I couldn't do with my last one. For the £20 odd I paid for it is worth it just for the long battery life. Most headsets have 7 hours talk time or so and this has 11 and several months of standby in deep sleep mode. Standby is 2 weeks while connected but with the battery display appearing on the phone you don't run out of juice. Charging doesn't seem to take long either. The headset also comes with an in car adapter so you can charge in the car as well as from a normal usb socket.

If the voice control worked properly and the sound quality was a little better this would be a 5 star one.
on 21 November 2013
This is the answer to my prayers in many ways!
I've avoided these kind of earpieces for a long time, as I think you look a bit Alan Partridge/Taxi Driver/Geek in them.
So I struggled along with the earphone with an inline microphone for the last couple of years - for some reason it's more acceptable to do that!
I've tried all different prices and qualities of these, from the free ones to better makes, and ultimately, people can't hear you properly, and you end up with wires wrapped around your bags, coats, etc when you're on the move. After my manager making some pointed comments about not hearing me properly in a conf call on my handsfree in the car or on the inline headphones, I bit the bullet.

It's perfect for my needs. I join a lot of calls on the run between work and home, to customer's sites, onto trains, and this is so light.
The quality is really good - great volume, and the caller can hear you really well. It cuts out a lot of the background noise, and concentrates the sound on your voice - I've had no complaints.
The thing is so light, and with the little rubbery loop, fits in your ear - it doesn't go right the way in like in-ear phones to - they hurt my ear after an hour or two, but rests there - really secure. I didn't notice I had it in in the end..

It has a more traditional behind the ear securing thing to attach if you need to, but I really didn't - I was so surprised.

It works an absolute treat with Google voice search on my Android phone - I long press the side of the headset, and the phone asks me, through the headset, who I want to dial. It works really well.
I haven't yet tried this functionality on my business IPHONE yet, but it's paired to both easily.
When you first turn it on, it tells you which phone it's using as a primary, and how many hours talk time you have - it's said 7 hours this time - hope that's accurate!

The only thing missing, and one I've never found on any Bluetooth or wired headsets, is a mute button - I wish someone would put one on. When you go on conference calls, you need to put yourself on mute while others are talking - otherwise you end up announcing your lunch order to the group - however this has to be done on the phone - which is ok to mute, but coming off mute means putting the passcode into the phone, swiping to get into it, and pressing mute - that can be a 10 seconds whilst someone is asking you for your comments, or whatever.

All in all a great thing though - pity about their reputation as being Alan Partridgy, but hey ho, if it does the job, I think I'm getting too old to care what it looks like!!!
on 11 December 2013
I spend a lot of time on the phone and even holding the phone leads to cramp. I also need to be able to type while on the phone so a headset of some kind is almost essential - I long ago gave up trying to clamp telephones between ear and shoulder which is a sure way to damage your neck.

This one works well. Battery life is more than adequate (better than the eye-phone I use it with). As with every hands free kit I've used, including wired headphones, you sometimes get a bad call, but I don't think that's down to the M55. I can usually hear callers very clearly. The other party is usually happy, the limitation being that it is poor in a noisy environment - the microphone can't be moved nearer to the mouth as with wired earphones, and the speech is drowned out by background noise. In the street I would use wired earphones.

I have found it can be uncomfortable, even painful, in the ear. This certainly happened intitally, and returns if I haven't used it for a week or two. Using it regularly my ear seems to get used to it and it's OK. I have the same experience with Apple earphones so maybe it's my ears, I think that's just a personal thing.

I don't use it much in-car because the car has it's own handsfree and I try to avoid phone use when driving anyway, but with kit like the M55 available there is no reason to risk a fine, or an accident, by driving holding a phone to the ear.