5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful album, but...
Can I just point out that this is the European version of 'Best Band', so Ravel's Bolero does not appear for some ridiculous and contemptible copyright reason.

Published on 30 Nov. 2007 by czgibson

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the ugly...
The fairest thing I think I can say about this album of Zappa's is that it should have been released as a single album rather than a double. It is the third album of material comprised entirely of live cuts from the 1988 tour. There are certainly some superb highlights on this album, mostly on the first disc, and the long, expansive guitar solo on 'The Torture Never...
Published on 24 Sept. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful album, but..., 30 Nov. 2007

['Best Band' is probably the best 'straight' compilation of the 1988 tour material, as against the more instrumentally-inclined 'Make A Jazz Noise Here' or the political music-hall of 'Broadway the Hard Way', for those who were wondering. They are all essential.]

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have for any Zappa fan, 2 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
All tracks were recorded on the fabulous, but short lived Broadway The Hard Way Tour of '88. The two CDs comprise of old favourites re-arranged for the Big Band plus some newer pieces of which Ravel's Bolero is a must listen to track. Heavy Duty Judy is the perfect opener on CD1 and it only gets better with Cosmik Debris, Zomby Woof, an excellent Mr. Green Genes ending with four pieces from One Size Fits All. The highlights of CD2 are The Torture Never Stops parts 1&2-which includes a beautiful guitar solo- and a brass/horn version of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven. For anyone that saw this band on tour it is the perfect souvenir of a deliriously entertaining show. For those that didn't it will offer the listener an idea of what Frank Zappa was all about live.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not there !, 27 Feb. 2010
Mr. P. Ward "bluesbreaker" (cumbria, uk) - See all my reviews
Have just received the CD and can confirm this is the European disc with the absence of Ravel's Bolero as per the instruction of Ravel's Estate. I had purchased the CD from an Australian Company on Amazons books and so hoped it would be the American version (being out side the European zone) but it appears the company seems to have dealt with a subsidiary company in Switzerland and therefore under the European restriction. This is a shame, as Frank's Bolero is a fine rendition. I would suggest that anyone wishing to purchace the full 28 tracks as advertised they apply for the album via the American market. I have heard the original album previously and happen to have a copy of the Bolero on tape, so I am going to have to be content with that for the time being. As for the rest of the album, it is classic Frank jibing the world and its silliness for all he's worth. By the way does this mean I am due recompense of 1/28 of the album price due to the lack of the track; under the Advertising Standards, possibly not (tongue in cheek). Only four stars due to the lack of this vital piece of musical history.

4.0 out of 5 stars a spiffy album, 11 July 2006
This was the first Zappa album I ever bought, and to be honest, at first I didn't like it - what a fool I was! Out of all the live Zappa albums I have, I think this is the best (the brass solo on the Zep cover is worth the list price alone). However, at times it does sound like Zappa's a bit bored. (the vocals on Cosmik Debris don't sound that enthusiastic - but he did have to perform that song quite a lot!)

I wouldn't really recommend it as the first Zappa album you should get - go for one of his studio albums first e.g. One Size Fits All, Apostrophe etc.

It is definitely an album that no established Zappa fan should be without...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like a bit of ZAPPA in your life then why not buy this, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (Audio CD)
Zappa has a huge back catalogue and it is difficult to choose which ones to spend cash on. I only wish I have more cash and more time in my life but found that buying this collection was good use of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like facial hair, 6 April 2011
Its mad! like facial hair this album will grow on you day by day, its not just an album its a musical experience filled with brilliant, bizarre and unique flavours of music, Stairway to heaven is worth the admission to this world alone Im even dissapointed when I hear the original now I only wonna hear Zappa's version like its brain washed me! Best used with headphones on and eyes closed.. by the way I bought mine from Amazon .com to get the USA version and still got it in 5 days at standard postage!! suits you sir suits you

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THE ALBUM BUT I HAVE A QUESTION..., 21 Mar. 2011
I friend of mine made a copy of this album for me as a gift.
I think it's a particularly fine Zappa album.
I love the playing and the humour.
One thing is driving me crazy though.
It's a 'live' album, but there seem to be harsh, abrupt edits between tracks.
The audience applause just cuts off and the next track begins.
Even a fadeout between songs would have been preferred to these jarring edits.
So, what I want to know is - did my friend cut this album up to make it fit on the CD he made me - I hate to ask as it was a gift - or did FZ do this butchering himself???
It's common knowledge that Frank had a penchant for tampering (if you can call it that when it's his own material), with his CD re-release mixes, (examples: Hot Rats and We're Only In It For The Money) usually to the disappointment of his followers who owned the vinyl and wanted/expected what they'd originally heard on those LPs to be reproduced digitally on compact disc.
I'd like to purchase a commercial copy of 'Best Band...', but would like to know if these abrupt edits are on the album itself.
One other question - if I buy the dbl CD should I go for the 2002 release or the 1991 copy?
Has the 2002 one been improved or altered?

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT,, BUT, 22 Jan. 2012
M. S. Mccann - See all my reviews
please beware the tracklisting given by amazon is incorrect.. disc 1 only has 13tracks as per the image shown of the rear of the sleeve

the rykodisc reissue here does not include BOLERO as track 8 ...
please bear this in mind until amazon update the shown tracklisting.. this is available on the earlier release on zappa records

5.0 out of 5 stars "One more time for the men in uniform", 21 July 2010
That was the first thing I've ever heard from Frank and after all the studio albums that I've listened to I still think that it's THE BEST!! For me it's one of the best live recordings of all.
I would recommend this to anyone!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Band, Superb Musicianship and Comedy Moments, 17 May 2010
M. Sutherland (Carlisle UK) - See all my reviews
If you want to hear a polished live band that never do the same song the same way then this has to be heard.

Clean and pure sound with great bass slam and Frank's unique voice and wild imagination to the fore.

The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 2012)