5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Blu-Ray..!
Published 22 months ago by SeaWasp

3.0 out of 5 stars spoilt by an over-blue colour cast
Published 22 months ago by John Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Blu-Ray..!, 6 Nov 2012
SeaWasp (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
I was just doing a little comparison test here and sure, the BFI dvd picture looks great... but the Blu-Ray is heaps sharper and the colours are brighter and more vivid. This really brings the movie alive. The difference between the warm glow of Mr Hulot's old-fashioned neighbourhood and the bluey-white sterility of his brother-in-law's ultra-modern house is more obvious than ever.(A favorite scene of mine is where the little boy's mother prepares his boiled egg as if it were a dental procedure.)

Perhaps you are wondering if upgrading your old copy is worth the cost. I would answer in the affirmative. Not only is the picture better but we also get the English version of Tati's masterpiece ("My Uncle") plus the correct 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

A minor quibble on my part. I find that I cannot select subtitles from the Set-Up Menu on neither my Sony nor my LG player. I can manage to get subs via my remote control on the LG but still nothing on the Sony. This might just be a quirk with my particular players but... yeah, I'd thought I'd better warn you on that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars mon oncle blu-ray/dvd dual format edition, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
Jacques Tati at the top of his game
an absolute joy from start to finish
even the kids and doggies are great in it
in reply to the first reviewer there are english
subtitles on the french version but no subtitles at all on the english one they should come up automatically when you insert the disc the subtitle menu is a little confusing when its dark they're on and when it's bright they're off instead of the other way around hope this helps and you get to enjoy this fabulous film the way you want to

5.0 out of 5 stars The great classic, perfect BluRay, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
20th century masterpiece, the BluRay is as good as you can hope. No problems at all with anything here. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
This CD was delivered on time and is a great CD I will be buying more from this company in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of restauration, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
This is the most beautiful restauration of this movie.The color as vivid like a new picture.Only word: splendid. This blu-ray is a honnor for the great work of Jacques Tati.Bravo

3.0 out of 5 stars spoilt by an over-blue colour cast, 7 Nov 2012
John Chandler (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
I was really looking forward to this Blu-ray release and had virtually given away my dual layer PAL speed-up SD DVD. I am so glad I did not. The colours are stronger across the board especially reds, yellows and blues and here is the problem. The blues are now just too strong and there is a very powerful overall blue cast that is just too much. Skin tones are excellent but whites are now blue-white and in the end I found my lighter SD disc more natural despite the many technical improvements on this new Blu-ray. The frame has been opened up quite a bit and the sound is crisp and much better than the DVD. The subtitles are another matter for debate however. They are very different and I did not care for them as much. They do not have the same flow and are in quite small white text whereas my DVD has yellow subtitles that are easy to read and a better translation. The English "MY UNCLE" has no subtitles and I did not like it at all as the English is really too pompous.
The booklet is very interesting and well written but there are no other extras. My DVD has a delightful L'Ecole des Facteurs. What a shame as this could have been brilliant if only the colour had not been cast so blue. Others may not be bothered but caveat emptor.

Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray)
Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) by Jacques Tati (DVD - 2012)
Used & New from: £30.00