on 28 June 2013
So glad I got this. I have read all of Ian Rankin's books and Ken Stott is exactly how I imagined Rebus to be. This DVD takes snippets from all the books and weaves them together into 10 hours of great entertainment. Some things the screenwriters altered which had me saying that's not right, while my husband who is not a Rankin fan, told me to shut up. He said it was great. So even if you are not a Rankin fan get this DVD well worth the watching and the money. Highly recommended.
on 23 October 2014
Only in the last six months I have started reading Ian Rankin and quickly became hooked on them and have read most of them and think they are brilliant.I missed the Rebus TV series and bought the DVD collection on the strength of the books and have thoroughly enjoyed them though they have changed the stories from the books.I think Ken Stott was perfect for the part as a totally convincing John Rebus.Some people have complained about not understanding the accent and some of the dialogue but I've not found this a problem and am not Scottish.Recommended.
on 26 November 2013
The boxed set is flimsy and the DVD cases are very narrow. For the price paid for it, I expected a better quality purchase.

The episodes themselves are brilliant television adaptations of the novels. I'm a huge fan of Ken Stott and these are some of his finest episodes as Rebus.
on 29 January 2013
No disrespect to John Hannah, who is a fine actor, Ken Stott has more of the rumpled, lived in look suggested by Ian Rankin in the books. He also looks as if he could be a handful in a rumble, and has a proper coppers face, which can be wry and humorous but menacing when required.
on 23 June 2013
Very bad audio quality!! While my ears hurt, are the Rankin stories are as good as always, Ken Stott acts ok, Siobhan Clarke looks much different in my dreams, but I take it as a cineastic-historical excursion....
on 1 April 2013
i can say if you like dark gritty and real life drama this one is for you I just wish that they had made more.
on 21 January 2013
It was a shame to discover no subtitles were available on this collection. I had bought it for my mother who has a hearing impediment and couldn't use the gift because of this. Beside, Rebus being in thick Scottish, it makes it sometimes difficult also for me to understand! Should be stated more clearly, as one takes it for granted that subtitles are available.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2013
This collection includes all of the Rebus programmes made starring Ken Stott. I think Stott is a great actor and I am a fan of the Ian Rankin novels that the shows are based on. The dour Scotsman is such an interesting character.
on 29 December 2015
Ken Stott is THE Rebus who is absolutely worth watching. His interpretation of the main character of Ian Rankin's stories carries integrity and authority and it closely follows the human essence of the anti-hero inspector made famous within the books. Stott is usually quite brilliant and very addictive in all that he offers. These stories illustrate his undervalued acting skills perfectly.
on 7 July 2015
These episodes use Ian Rankin's titles and characters but not his cleverly developed plots.
Seems the mob who made this mess thought they could improve on Rankin.
They didn't.
No wonder that Rankin bought back the TV rights to his work.
I feel sorry for the actors who were involved.