5.0 out of 5 stars A cool pick.
For such a compact camera, there are a lot of features packed in. That said, it's totally user-friendly, intuitive and easy to use, even for beginners.

Published on 24 Oct 2012 by Flickering Ember

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating...
Recieved the camera and initially it appeared to be all OK. The picture quality was decent.
The not-so-responsive touch screen is annoying. A set of regular buttons would have been nicer ... I would like to know who at Nikon is doing the product research ... a regular button is also "touch" :-)

We took the camera on a two weeks trip and after the...
Published 7 months ago by Miss V R Bell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A cool pick., 24 Oct 2012
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The 16 megapixel CMOS sensor works in collaboration with the EXPEED processor and allows you to take clear, sharp photographs in any level of light...from a sunny day to a dusky evening...from a concert to a fireworks display. It allows just the right level of light and there's less glare and red eye than previous, similar cameras I have used, such as the Nikon Coolpix S220 Digital Camera - Black (10.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD which I thought was rather good when I originally bought it!!

You can also select the scene mode yourself from a choice of 20, although generally I didn't feel this was necessary as the camera does automatically adjust itself according to the light settings surrounding it. However, the macro facility was useful as was the ability to photograph documents/written black and white. Further to this is its own Intelligent auto-focus system, which allows the camera to choose the clearest focus for the subject matter. This works even if the subject matter isn't in the centre of the frame.

The inbuilt vibration reduction is really useful for example when taking photographs or filming on a moving train or dancing around at a concert, and together with the Anti-blur high ISO, it ensures you take steadier photos than you'd think possible given your own motion!

Also worth a mention is the panorama option, which when compared with the Panorama option on my iPhone 5 camera, delivers a much smoother picture which doesn't look so much like several pictures cut and pasted together.

When it comes to filming, the HD quality is impressive for its size, and when said films are blown up, even on a projector to more than 100 inches, the clarity is crystal clear and doesn't suffer pixellation or graining, unlike other cameras I have tried. The large size of the touch-screen LCD screen is useful. There is a stylus included in the box, although I preferred to use my fingers.

The only slight issue I had was that I found the adapter slightly troublesome to assemble initially, although again, unlike my previous Coolpix camera, I welcomed the development which means you no longer have to remove the battery in order to charge it in a separate cradle - it is now possible to charge the battery still in situ in the camera. This is a big plus point.

Overall, a brilliant compact camera which has pride of place in my handbag for day-to-day use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Nikon..., 20 Dec 2012
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not really much of a photographer - I travel a lot and take holiday snaps, and sometimes take photos of friends and family. For several years I've used a Nikon Coolpix with a lower specification, and I was delighted to get my hands on this superior model just before a holiday in India. For someone who just wants to carry a small camera where you can get away with just pointing and shooting, this camera really is perfection. It's so lovely not to have to change settings for anything - daytime photos are crisp and clear (and zooming is a cinch) and night-time flash photos are well lit and perfect. The video is HD quality + crisp even on a large screen, and the large viewing window seems to have a lot less shine in sunny conditions than other cameras I've used which is welcome. The filters and features are fun to play with, but I prefer to play with photos on my PC on return - the touch screen can be a little unresponsive, but making changes to pictures is pretty intuitive. The camera is light, small enough for pocket or handbag, but it feels and looks really sturdy. Must mention that SD card isn't included, but they're easily and cheaply available. I didn't recharge once during a fortnight's holiday (100+ pictures) and thought that was pretty impressive - and the plug in charger (to which you connect the camera) is light and easy to carry anyway. For its delivery on promise, this camera was five stars for me - well done Nikon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating..., 10 May 2014

We took the camera on a two weeks trip and after the first week, the camera decided that it will not charge anymore. Quite useful. The other half of the trip we had to rely on our phones to take the pictures.

Disappointed is not the word I currently think of.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little camera with a couple of glaring problems, 7 Nov 2012
Russell G. Pottinger (Dundee) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not 100% sure how to review this camera as it takes really good pictures, is small and has a good optical zoom on it, but there are some problems for me (that other people will probably not care about).

1st thing to note about the camera is how small and light it is. While thicker than a mobile phone it is smaller in footprint and will fit into your pocket easily. It is light enough that you don't really notice it and the battery seems to last for a significant period of time.

The pictures it takes right from zoomed out to zoomed in are bright and poppy, and it takes good indoor photos as well.

But i have issues with it:

Problem 1
The touch screen on the back is pretty poor. We are talking how phones used to be where you can take a few presses to get it to respond. Being used to the capacitive touch on my mobile, i think I would have preferred buttons.

Problem 2
Connectivity. If I take a picture on my mobile, when i get to a wifi area it uploads onto Dropbox and I can access it straight away. With this camera I need to use a cable, and it has to be its own Nikon cable as a standard micro usb connecter doesn't fit.

I see both of those things as the last gasp of old technology before things like the Samsung Galaxy Camera render it obsolete (although that specific one is double the price I forsee this causing big changes at the technology filters down).

However, if you don't care about connectivity or messing around with settings on the touch screen then you've got a good little point and shoot camera with 16MP sensor and 12x optical zoom, which is perfect for day to day use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, stunning camera, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S6400 Compact Digital Camera - Purple (16MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Bought for my partner, I'm a pro wedding/event photographer, she has a good eye but gets fed up messing with controls on my big Nikon slrs. This is perfect for point & shoot, holiday, out & about use. Terrific images, useful big zoom, some silly effects that can be turned off, thoroughly recommended for your pocket, handbag, expensive but for me just get a good one, don't gaff about with cheapo stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Coolpix, 22 Oct 2012
-EFox- (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A smart little compact, with extremely simplfied controls so it's really easy to use. The photos are brilliant quality and the auto flash is bright, not exactly professional standard but that's not what this is made for. The video is perfect HD quality and quite impressive, but this camera is really made for someone who wants great photos at the click of a button, without being muddled by compicated controls. Nikon are a trusted camera brand and the build quality seems good, mostly plastic but strong and sturdy and very light.

There are a series of art filters that can be applied before or after shooting, with some nice effects that don't look too tacky - the soft focus, toy camera and cross process are the best in my opinion. The camera takes a standard SD card which is good as these can be picked up fairly cheap, but just to note it's not included in the box.

I've only given it four stars as there are better compacts out there, with more options for creative control - this really is 'point and shoot' in it's purest form - it has a button, it takes a photo, which is great if that's all that you're looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works for about 6 months, 7 Sep 2014
I brought this in November of last year .. I used it a few times which was brilliant .. Then I didn't use it for about 3 months and now it won't turn on or charge

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, 26 Oct 2012
Steampunk "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I purchased my last digital camera about 3 years ago. It's a little Sanyo. I loved it, and it cost me about half the current price of this Nikon.

It went into semi-retirement because, like many people, I now have a smart-phone with a pretty decent camera.

But when I had the opportunity to get this Nikon free for review purposes, I jumped at the chance. I was keen to see how far the technology had advanced in three years.

Sadly, the answer (to judge from this camera anyway) is 'not much'. Yes, this one has a few more Megapixels, a slightly better Zoom, a touch-screen, and a couple of quirky features... but that's about it. Oh, apart from the insane decision to include built-in image-editing software. (Would YOU rather edit YOUR pics on a little semi-responsive touchscreen, or on a proper full-size monitor? I know which *I* prefer.)

And I'm serious about the touchscreen. It makes this camera an utter dog to use. It's the least responsive screen on any device I've ever owned. I think Nikon have sort of admitted this by including a little (rather cheap and nasty looking) stylus which is practically an essential to get the thing to recognise your taps.

So what do you get for your money? A camera with just a few more features than one I bought for half the price 3 years ago, and a decidedly dodgy touchscreen.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the battery life either. I found that at best, I could expect around 150-ish snaps before I needed a recharge. This is more of an issue because the camera has its own proprietary battery, so you can't simply pop in a couple of Duracells.

Even for free, I don't think much of this camera. I've downloaded a few apps for my phone which give all sorts of functions that I was (wrongly) expecting this camera to have (HDR, for one. The phone also gives me much better panorama and 3D shots than I've been able to get with this camera's software.)

The bottom line is that if I'd purchased this I would certainly have sent it back for a refund.

I suspect that this freebie will moulder at the back of a drawer somewhere, and when a relative or friend wants to borrow a camera for their hols, it will still be the Sanyo I lend them, not this.

I admit I'm a little out of touch with the current digital camera market, but I'd be VERY surprised if you couldn't do a LOT better than this for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Dec 2014
One of the best things I've bought, Now I have a discrete alternative to my DSLR

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Nov 2014
Wonderful compact camera. Sharp focus, point and click camera at its best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›